View Full Version : Marines clean up Concord Twp. home

thedrifter
06-30-08, 06:26 AM
06/30/2008
Marines clean up Concord Twp. home
Brandon C. Baker

BBaker@News-Herald.com

Men volunteer to help fellow Marine's family after they fell on tough times
Linda Watson stood in her own living room Sunday afternoon, but she swore she did not know where she was.

The day's events made her believe, for a moment, that she was experiencing a dream.

Linda already knew her son and other members of the 3rd Battalion 25th Marines Headquarters & Service Co. were coming to perform various repairs in hopes that she would find a buyer for her Concord Township condominium and regain some financial freedom.

Still, after months of stress and medical bills associated with her husband's stay at an area nursing home, the sight of the men at work produced more joy than she anticipated.

"I'm just overwhelmed," Linda said. "I had no idea how I was going to get all this stuff taken care of. It's a miracle, as far as I'm concerned."

For years, Linda's husband, C.C., has suffered multiple strokes and other problems related to a mitochondrial disorder. He had to go on full-time disability, and by early 2007, the family moved him to a Painesville nursing home.

Linda continued working overtime at a Howard Hanna office to afford condominium and medical payments but found little time to maintain the home. Her son, Lance Cpl. Anthony Watson, knew the severity of his mother's issues.

While away on a two-week active training session in Virginia, Anthony told Maj. Mike Sheridan and others about the situation. It weighed heavily on the 20-year-old's mind, as he also thought about training and his 2009 Iraq deployment.

"(Anthony) was having a hard time because he was feeling torn between wanting to continue to serve and be a Marine, worrying about his dad and wanting to be here for his mom," Sheridan said. "We said, 'We could send you home right now, but it won't do you any good because what's only a few days?'

"Everyone could solve this problem in a different way, so we took some other options," Sheridan said. "That's what we do in the Corps."

About 10 3rd Battalion 25th Marines used the day to paint walls, repair the patio and remove trash from Linda's home on Mount Vernon Court. It was their first full day off since returning from Virginia.

St. Hubert's Episcopal Church of Kirtland Hills also chipped in by donating lunch to the group.

The men said the work was a necessary function of the second family created through the Marines.

"We knew one of our guys needed help, so we pitched in to give him a hand," Sgt. Josh Williams said.

"If I needed help, I'm sure he'd come out and help me."

Even though Anthony worked up a sweat with his partners, he seemed as thrilled with the effort as his mother. He said Sunday showed what the Marine Corps is all about.

"The Marine Corps is just like an organic brotherhood," Anthony said.
"Everybody's helping everybody else, even when they don't have to.
"It's absolutely wonderful."

Ellie