PDA

View Full Version : Poolee about has heat stroke.

mattlw201
06-29-08, 04:21 PM
Me and a few other poolees were doing pt this last thursday(about 90 degrees). We were doing 200 m sprints and doing different exercises between each one for a mile. Towards the end the guy I am doing the buddy system with starts complaining about seeing spots then stumbles and falls over. This is the guy that never complains. He is in top physical shape. We get him cooled by soaking his shirt and making him drink water. We were gonna call and ambulance but he refuses. I asked him when was the last time he drank water and he said about 3 hrs ago. I wanted to punch him. Running without water in hot weather. He turned out fine thou and rode his bike home. I wanted to tell this story as a simple reminder to everybody. Drink water before after and during pt. It may seem as a stupid reminder but people actually forget to drink water. Be smart.

CH53MetalMan
06-29-08, 05:06 PM
In 90 degree weather you've got to either run long and SLOW with gatorade or max out, at as fast a pace as you can for 1.5 miles and hit the shower.

100 degree weather is the real enforcer. Same rules apply.

Bullpup
06-29-08, 07:22 PM
It was 87 last NIGHT where I live (Tucson, Arizona). Its 110 during the day, if you don't drink you will die. If only it really were an un-necessary reminder. Drink water guys. You can't be a hard...

jrhd97
06-29-08, 07:24 PM
Let me tell you guys. Seeing a Marine take the silver bullet in his back side due to heat injury/ illness will make you a believer out of drinking water. You won't believe the size of that thing.

Pete0331
06-29-08, 07:30 PM
I thought this was common sense.
Water input/output.
Whenever you urinate you have to drink water to replace the water you lost.
Whenever you sweat you have to drink water to replace the water you lost.
Don't be stupid, drink water or you can die.

Try2CatchMike
06-29-08, 07:33 PM
Its about 110 degrees out here in 29 Palms, Ive seen quite a few marines take the silver bullet. You can never drink enough water.

Tiny90
06-29-08, 09:08 PM
100-115 here everyday and we LOVE IT!

so do our recruiters on PT days....

NeedSomePT
06-29-08, 11:20 PM
:thumbdown

Few months ago at PT I think I was starting to get heat stroke. Of course my stupid self didn't say anything to anyone and tried playing it off.
My enitre vision was a blur, I could hardly stand up straight, hardly breathe, felt like someone was choking the fck out of me. At one point I felt like I was in some kind of dreamland I was just standing there copletely unaware of my surroundings I had no feeling of time or consciousness, all of a sudden I realize that someone is yelling at me wtf I'm doing all the way out there (everyone was in a line, I was standing like 10 feet out to the side) I kept on doing the sprints even though I could hardly tell where I was going. I seriously kept thinking to myself that the day is going to end in the hosptial. After a while I just said fck it and told the recruiter I couldn't take it anymore and had to walk back to the office.

I had always thought I drank tons of liquid before but after that day I'm constantly drinking water. I probably **** out a gallon each day.

Pete0331
06-30-08, 12:58 AM
If you have to many heat strokes it can cause brain damage.

CplKJSpevak
06-30-08, 05:25 AM
I was a Captain on my High School football team,Our coach tried one time punishing us by denying water at practice, I got to the point where I thought (This is wrong,someone could die) and walked off the field to the water, My teammates followed me, coach never did **** about it. My Beloved Corps NEVER denied me Water. BE SMART and tough, You Poolees are going to be forced so much water at bootcamp, You've never drank that much. Don't kick the bucket before you ship!

bgsuwoody
06-30-08, 06:20 AM
You have to be drinking water...period. The silver bullet is nothing you want to be associated with...not to mention after being a heat case you are more succeptible to them in the future.

However, you will be in the heat most of the time in the Marine Corps. At my last Training Op in AP Hill it was 100 plus everyday with 100% humidity and the heat index of 120. Get acclimatized to this weather you will be better off. You cant escape the heat. I'm not going to lie. I have passed out once with full gear doing buddy rushes in the quad (sound fimilar RJ) I was seeing stars and missed two rushes. Stopped the exercise for a short time to rehydrate and I was back to go.

They never said it would be easy...

Chumley
06-30-08, 08:15 AM
When I was on active duty, a friend of mine had signed up to participate in a 5K run. This guy was a PT machine, always running, always working out, always drinking water. When the race began he went about 100yds and collapsed. They gave him 3 bags of juice and he was messed up for a couple of days afterwards. He seemed to be an unlikely candidate for heat exhaustion in general, but it goes to show that the more you work out, your water intake needs to go up proportionally as well.

Also note: when you PT and sweat a lot, you not only use up your water reserves, but other nutrients as well. My sister was pregnant and was drinking a ton of water as part of her diet. She wasn't feeling well and they did blood work to test and it turns out she was actually flushing vital nutrients out with the excessive water. For example, her potassium levels were dangerously low even though she was eating bananas and a good diet.

So fuel your body thoroughly and remain aware that your overall diet must reflect your activity levels. If you don't know much about nutrition, now is the time to round up and get yourself informed.

mattlw201 - good topic! Keep up the positive habit of looking out for others!!

C

danieljogbn
06-30-08, 10:46 AM
I do not know that much how our body uses water but I have a question. You know how we drink water, and urinate, and when we urinate, we lose our water intake. Do we lose all of our water intake when we urinate? Or do we reserve some water in our body when we urinate? I always drink a lot of water because I run every other day. The night before I go out for running, I drink a lot of water, then I urinate (obviously the urines turn out to be clear because of a lot of water intake), so how does this work? Just keep drinking and urinating until I go out for running?

-Poolee Jo

Chumley
06-30-08, 11:22 AM
I do not know that much how our body uses water but I have a question. You know how we drink water, and urinate, and when we urinate, we lose our water intake. Do we lose all of our water intake when we urinate? Or do we reserve some water in our body when we urinate? I always drink a lot of water because I run every other day. The night before I go out for running, I drink a lot of water, then I urinate (obviously the urines turn out to be clear because of a lot of water intake), so how does this work? Just keep drinking and urinating until I go out for running?

-Poolee Jo

We don't lose all the water we drink when we urinate. Actually, when you are starting to de-hydrate or are sweating heavily during a workout, you will probably not pee at all, because your body will determine that it needs to conserve water at that time. One of the symptoms of heat stress is that you stop sweating...the body retains every little drop of water.

Water is stored as part of your body. We are made up of approximately 75% water...it becomes part of us like the food we eat, and is stored in / used by all the body's cells. The skin and blood will store much of the water for easy access. It's a continuous replenishment cycle and what isn't needed is excreted.

You can find out much more detailed information than my simple laymans explanation if you research it yourself on the net.

The answer to your question is yes, just keep drinking water; before during & after all workouts and as part of a healthy diet everyday.

yellowwing
06-30-08, 04:53 PM
I was a roofing foreman when we did a job in 120 heat. The roof surface temp was 143. We sent our fatbody boss back to the motel, no way we could have lowered him down if he passed out. He was more than okay with that.

It was up to me to get it done safely. At those temperatures heat exhaustion can quickly turn to heat stroke. You got to watch your men.

I spent 95% of my time making sure they had water, wet towels, and that they didn't have to move too much to get materials.

Next time of you are on the Buddy System, pay more attention to his condition.

Psurichie
06-30-08, 05:17 PM
What is "The silver bullet" ??

CplKJSpevak
06-30-08, 06:13 PM
Richie, I'm happy to report that I have never seen it, Or knew anybody who had it..but I think its something they shove up your ass to fill your body with fluid to re-hydrate or something. :(

Psurichie
06-30-08, 07:59 PM
Thanks, I think I am going to drink more water!

jrhd97
06-30-08, 08:08 PM
What is "The silver bullet" ??
The Silver Bullet is a thermometer that doc rams up your keester to get a core temp. Right there in the field to determine how bad your condition is.

Pete0331
06-30-08, 08:26 PM
.but I think its something they shove up your ass to fill your body with fluid to re-hydrate or something. :(

I hope you're joking.
Its a thermometer, they stick it in your rectum because that will give the most accurate core temperature in the shortest about of time.

Its chrome, about 6 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. :usmc:

Phantom Blooper
06-30-08, 08:41 PM
Forget Gatorade...Drink H2O!

Symptoms of Heat Stroke!

Just like before getting laid!

HOT!

DRY!

RED!

Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion!

Just like after getting laid!

COOL!

PALE!

CLAMMY!

:evilgrin:

Chumley
06-30-08, 09:03 PM
I hope you're joking.
Its a thermometer, they stick it in your rectum because that will give the most accurate core temperature in the shortest about of time.

Its chrome, about 6 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. :usmc:

My wife would love it....does anybody have a CLEAN one? :angel:

CH53MetalMan
07-01-08, 04:23 PM
Forget Gatorade...Drink H2O!

Symptoms of Heat Stroke!

Just like before getting laid!

HOT!

DRY!

RED!

Symptoms of Heat Exhaustion!

Just like after getting laid!

COOL!

PALE!

CLAMMY!

:evilgrin:

Clammy is right. You'll know it when you wipe your fore head.

Stop runnng, find shade and water or gatorade asap.

CplKJSpevak
07-01-08, 05:06 PM
Oh that's right! Damn!......Now who get's to do that do someone? NCO's,SNCO's or Corpsman?

CplKJSpevak
07-01-08, 05:09 PM
Richie, I'm happy to report that I have never seen it, Or knew anybody who had it..but I think its something they shove up your ass to fill your body with fluid to re-hydrate or something. :(

world's worst Enemma