PDA

View Full Version : Marines and homes: They came, they sawed, they built

thedrifter
06-29-08, 06:19 AM
Marines and homes: They came, they sawed, they built
U.S. Marines and sailors lend muscle to Habitat for Humanity homes project.
By VIK JOLLY
The Orange County Register

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO – They were supposed to hammer and saw to build frames for Habitat for Humanity homes. But these were volunteers of a different kind.

The efficiency and speed with which more than 200 U.S. Marines and sailors seized the job at hand left them with a little time to spare.

So, the members of the Combat Logistics Regiment 15, 1st Marine Logistics Group from Camp Pendleton, built shelves for storage trailers, dug drainage ditches, stacked sandbags and overhauled a sluggish forklift while they were at it.

What was planned to be completed by the group in four days was finished Thursday in well under three, causing Habitat officials to ask the Marines and sailors to work instead at an Anaheim home build site today.

"I don't think they realized what they were getting," said Navy Chaplain Jeffrey Ross on Thursday morning, smiling, as some 55 members of the logistics group with tool belts tied to their waists wielded hammers, pickaxes and shovels and handled a buzz saw. About 80 of them worked at the site each day Tuesday and Wednesday.

"The thing for me is, I hear constantly about this lazy generation and they're slackers and these people don't work," Ross continued. "They're not working with the same people I am working with. There's not a single person here that's not … looking for a job."

It was Ross' idea to bring military personnel this week to the Calle Rolando construction site in San Juan Capistrano, where 14 of the 27 homes will eventually be sold to veterans and their families, part of Habitat's Homes for Heroes and Foundations for Families project.

This is the first time that Habitat is specifically targeting veterans and their families for a home development and is building to accommodate those who are disabled.

Ross figured Marines and sailors could use the opportunity to not only do good, but also to work off stress before many from the logistics group deploy to Iraq next fall.

Community involvement is a huge mitigating factor for the buzz term "combat operational stress" studied by chaplains, Ross points out.

"If you can get the person outside of themselves, it helps to mitigate the stressors," he said. "This is a great opportunity for them to vent some of that frustration, pound a couple of nails, get your angst out. Have a day doing something constructive."

At an average cost of $250,000 per home, the development of two-story duplex homes will cost nearly $9.5 million to build, including fees and some other costs for the project. The 2.7-acre Calle Rolando site was given to Habitat by the San Juan Capistrano Redevelopment Agency. In return, Habitat will add affordable homes to the city.

"This is a very exciting opportunity for us," said Joan Ziegler, a spokeswoman for Habitat for Humanity of Orange County, of the military volunteers this week. "And especially since the Marines and sailors work very quickly, it's really given us a nice head start that we had not anticipated."

Thanks to volunteers like Lance Cpl. Richard Zurowski, who was supposed to have two wisdom teeth pulled at the base hospital today.

The U.S. postal worker, who has been in the reserves for six years, switched his appointment to Monday to get the dental work out of the way early. He said he feels personal pride knowing that he is building a home for an injured Marine.

"It makes me feel better about myself," said Zurowski, 25, who will deploy to Iraq, his first time overseas, in the fall. A short while later, under overcast skies, he returned to pounding nails into two-by-fours.

Ross hopes that with the San Juan project expected to take about two years to complete, Marines and sailors will get another chance to return here and help put finishing touches to some of the homes.

Families can call 714-434-6200, ext. 200, for information to volunteer, donate or to apply to purchase a Habitat home in San Juan Capistrano. Information: Visit www.habitatoc.org.

Contact the writer: 949-465-5424 or vjolly@ocregister.com

Ellie