PDA

View Full Version : A Bond Like No Other

thedrifter
06-28-08, 02:08 PM
A Bond Like No Other

By DONALD J. MYERS

A Mind of My Own

Published: June 28, 2008

Fifty-five years ago, I started on a journey that would take me all over the world and introduce me to places and people that many merely dream about.

During the journey, I learned about different cultures, food and languages.

and learning never ceased to end. Excitement abounded as did boredom at times, but there was always change. Along the way, I married, raised three children and now have seven grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.

It always seemed that there was a member or more in the military from our family. A great uncle died in France during World War I, a cousin was seriously wounded at Iwo Jima in World WAR II and many of my uncles served in the same war. My brother went to war with the Marines in Korea, and I followed shortly thereafter. While in the Marines, I commanded the troops at recruit training at Parris Island and put through three of my nephews along with another nephew at the Naval Academy.

There is a special place in our family for those who serve in the military, especially the Marines. Reunions with former comrades are times to renew the fellowship developed years ago and continue to this day. They may not be as mean or lean, but they are still "green." The greatest majority looks at their service as a time that was very special, and most would do it all over if given the chance. Two of my children and some of their children have been to some of these reunions and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

When I went on the many deployments overseas, my wife and family would visit our parents in the Baltimore area on different occasions. Many of my wife's friends did not come from military families and did not understand how she could tolerate the separations. They would ask her when I was going to get a job.

I am in the middle of reading a book about a father, Frank Schaeffer, who watches his son join the Marines and then go off to war in Iraq — "Faith of our Sons." He and his wife were more liberal than conservative and were totally surprised when their son enlisted. Many of their friends wondered what they had done wrong so that their son joined the Marines. The author is a novelist and he wrote a letter that was published in The Washington Post about his son enlisting in the Marines and its effect on the family. He received thousands of e-mails in response. This was the beginning of a new and different experience for the entire family.

At the graduation from boot camp, the mother and father were amazed at how much their son had matured and his love for the corps. They then discovered that they had become members of a community of families that either had served or currently have children serving in all the branches of the military.

The camaraderie once again surprised them. During my time at Parris Island, we graduated 50,000 new Marines. The graduation ceremonies were awesome. Parents came from all over the eastern half of the United States and the majority could not believe the changes in their sons. The parents of my own nephews were no exception. This was the start of "The Rite of Passage," and in many cases a relationship that lasted a lifetime.

Far too many places in the country do not look at military service as a positive career or experience. I suspect that many would react much like the Schaeffers did, but I also suspect that they, like the Schaeffers, would be converted. The bond is difficult to explain, but it is real. Thank God that we continue to have a large enough portion of our population who are willing to defend the rest of us.

Contrary to what the media publishes, our military is the most educated and dedicated in our history. That does not demean others who served at other times, but merely the truth.

Donald J. Myers, a retired colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps., is a regular columnist for Hernando Today. He lives in Spring Hill and can be contacted at DMyersUSMC@aol.com.

Ellie