PDA

View Full Version : Marine widow gets help from Fallen Patriot Fund

thedrifter
05-08-03, 06:23 AM
Article ran : 05/08/2003
Marine widow gets help from Fallen Patriot Fund
By ERIC STEINKOPFF
DAILY NEWS STAFF
When Camp Lejeune Marine Sgt. Michael E. Bitz was killed during an ambush March 23 near An Nasiriyah, Iraq, most thought that his wife and three young children would receive the standard $250,000 serviceman’s group life insurance to help rebuild their lives.

It didn’t happen.

Janina Bitz said she just learned that her family would not be receiving money from her late husband’s insurance.

“My belief is that my husband wasn’t advised correctly,” said Bitz, a 25-year-old native of Australia who now lives in Jacksonville. “Maybe I can change some things so what happened to me doesn’t happen to another family.”

Bitz didn’t elaborate about her situation Wednesday after receiving better news — a $12,000 check from the new Fallen Patriot Fund, a trust created by Texas millionaire Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks NBA team. Cuban’s brother Brian, the fund’s executive director, presented the money to the family at their Jacksonville home.

“This is a great honor and this does help a lot,” said Bitz, who is the fund’s first recipient. “Maybe the information can get out to the other families (so that) they can get a little more help.”

During the presentation, Bitz’s 2-year-old son, Joshua, wandered around the yard and paused near a bush to peer at the crowd that converged on the mobile home.

Nearby, 2-month old twins — daughter Taylor and son Caleb — were in the arms of Bitz’s mother, Maree Heron, and a family friend. Michael Bitz, 31, an assault amphibian vehicle driver from Ventura, Calif. assigned to 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, never met the twins.

Mark Cuban, who did not attend the presentation, started the nonprofit fund three weeks ago with the help of Bank of America. It already has collected $1 million that will be given to the families of service members killed in action.

Brian Cuban said all of the fund would go to families like the Bitzes.

Each family will be evaluated by the fund’s staff, Brian Cuban said.

“We looked at Janina’s expenses and broke them down into what she needs to make it through the next year,” Cuban said. “One of the goals is to make it easy to apply. We don’t want any red tape.”

Bitz said the help was welcomed.

“I grew up living by my means and appreciating what I do have instead of what I don’t have,” Bitz said.

“I’m not one to ask for money, but the grant is awesome, overwhelming and a true blessing. We recently hit a financial hurdle and the biggest thing is not to make a wrong decision with the money that you do have.”

Bitz said she married Michael two years ago, but they did not have money for a wedding ceremony at that time. Last May, they were finally able to renew their vows.

“He was very loving and he was my best friend,” Bitz said.

Right now, she is at home and receives Dependency Indemnity Compensation and Social Security, but if she goes to work, her benefits will be cut, Bitz said.

Although her entire family lives in Australia, Bitz said she does not have any immediate plans to leave the area.

“There’s too much gray area surrounding the incident,” Bitz said.

“We won’t know the whole story until his platoon returns. Losing your spouse is hard enough to handle, but it does help out to know that his sacrifice was not in vain. It is a great feeling that the American public is treating our family like their own.”

She had a word of advice for other families who might be struggling financially after losing a loved one in the war with Iraq.

“They, too, can get the help that they need,” Bitz said.

Brian Cuban agreed. The next family scheduled to receive help is a Marine widow in Nevada. He did not release the name.

“Everyone can do their part,” Cuban said. “We’ve received donations from 46 states and three Canadian provinces. It feels good to see someone helped in such a personal way.”

Donations can be made at 4,200 Bank of America locations worldwide, online at www.fallenpatriotfund.org or by mail to Fallen Patriot Fund, c/o Bank of America Private Bank, TX1-492-19-09, P.O. Box 832409, Dallas, Texas 75283-2409.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
05-08-03, 07:33 AM
This article would have made more sense if it gave more details about the problem and ways to avoid it.

“Maybe I can change some things so what happened to me doesn’t happen to another family.”
End Quote

Such as??????

Other than as a poorly written publicity release for the Dallas Maverick's NBA team's owner, the article was a waste of space in the newspapeer that carried it.