PDA

View Full Version : Hero commando who lost limbs has no regrets

thedrifter
06-25-08, 02:26 PM
Hero commando who lost limbs has no regrets

07:43 - 25-June-2008

A ROYAL Marine commando from Plymouth who lost both legs and his right arm on the Afghanistan frontline says he “doesn’t regret a thing”.

Mark Ormrod, from Elburton, has begun rebuilding his life after he was ‘ripped apart’ by a buried Taliban landmine strapped to a rocket on Christmas Eve last year.

Despite his terrible injuries and disabilities, the 24-year-old said he doesn’t hold a grudge about being blown up serving his country.

“I don’t regret signing up at all; I’ve never thought that,” he said.

“Despite everything that has happened to me I love the Royal Marines and everything about the corps. That’s why I want to stay in.

“I may not be able to do the same job as before, but I can still contribute.

“It has been pretty tough at times, but the good days outnumber the bad days. I have Becky (Mark’s fiancée) and my family. The support from everyone has been good.”

Mark said that when he willingly put his life on the line when he first signed up to the marines he knew the risks.

“Everyone knows what’s in line for them to a certain extent when they sign up to the Army or the Royal Marines,” he added.

“You have to be willing to go to these places and take the risk. It comes with the job.

“It’s not nice, and everyone thinks it won’t happen to them. I thought the same, but it happened.

“I’ve lost two good friends recently (Corporal Damien Mulvihill, of Taunton-based 40 Commando and Corporal Phillip Smith, of Bickleigh-based 42 Commando). It’s tragic, but unfortunately these things happen.”

Mark was serving with Taunton-based 40 Commando on a routine foot patrol in Helmand Province when he was blown up.

He spent three months in intensive care before beginning his rehabilitation at Headley Court Rehabilitation Centre in Surrey.

In April he met Princes William and Harry during a meet-and-greet event at the centre.

He has since been fitted with hi-tech prosthetic limbs, and is planning to marry his fiancée next year.

Last month he also received a medal in recognition of service to his country.

Mark said Plymouth and the whole country should be proud of its Armed Forces.

“We commemorate the lives of those who have fought for the country on Remembrance Sunday, but on Veterans’ Day we should celebrate the people who have been to these places and who are still doing it on behalf of the country,” said Mark who is planning to attend next weekend’s veterans’ celebrations.

“They deserve the recognition. Plymouth should feel very proud.”

Official programmes for this weekend’s veterans events are now available in The Herald’s city centre shop priced at £1.

Ellie