PDA

View Full Version : Sailors Left Behind in Hong Kong

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
06-25-08, 12:01 PM
Associated Press
HONG KONG - About 100 American Sailors were left behind in Hong Kong after a Navy aircraft carrier departed early because of weather concerns, an official said June 24.

The USS Ronald Reagan and its strike group left a day early June 22 as Typhoon Fengshen headed toward the territory, said Dale Kreisher, spokesman for the U.S. Consulate General.

The carrier attempted to recall all Sailors enjoying shore leave in Hong Kong, but some were left behind.

"They have to go by the weather. The situation is that it looked like there was severe weather," Kreisher said.

U.S. officials were working to find flights to return the Sailors to the carrier. He declined to say where the strike group - made up of the Ronald Reagan, a cruiser, three destroyers and a frigate - was heading, citing security reasons.

With about 6,000 Sailors aboard, the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier arrived in Hong Kong last Thursday and had been scheduled to leave port Monday.

Typhoon Fengshen was threatening Hong Kong on Sunday, though its strength weakened to a tropical storm Tuesday.

It's not the first time Sailors were left behind. In late December 2004, the USS Abraham Lincoln left port early to help with humanitarian efforts related to the Indian Ocean tsunami.

OB MSG
06-25-08, 12:09 PM
Oops!

yellowwing
06-25-08, 12:13 PM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/dude.jpg

Pete0331
06-25-08, 12:18 PM
Missing a movement.

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
06-25-08, 12:20 PM
Yes I Was Wondering How They Would Handle That......would That Be Missing A Movement

Pete0331
06-25-08, 12:26 PM
Yes I Was Wondering How They Would Handle That......would That Be Missing A Movement

Yes, Missing a Movement and Unauthorized Absence.

I saw it happen to a couple of Sgt's on my last float.

AL49BGN
06-25-08, 12:32 PM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/dude.jpg
YELLOWING YOU CRACK ME UP! THEY LOOK JUST LIKE A COUPLE OF SQUIDS

SlingerDun
06-25-08, 03:40 PM
not missing movement. the ship pulled out while 100 hands were obviously not aware that liberty had been secured. or they can use that as an excuse

ggyoung
06-25-08, 04:23 PM
No they did not miss a movement. My Navy son was on the Abraham Lincoln in 2004 when the Tsunami hit. He was onborad at that time. Nobody got in trouble. There is a set of rules just for that kind of thing. If you follow them rules you are OK.

crate78
06-25-08, 07:27 PM
I was on the aircraft carrier USS Lake Champlain in port in Marsielle, France when the s**t hit the fan in the Suez Canal Zone. The ship left port on less than an hour's notice, leaving several hundred behind that were ashore on liberty. I happened to be aboard ship at the time.

As I recall, it was several weeks before everyone caught up with the ship again. I also don't recall anyone getting in trouble over it, as it was a command decision to leave port in less time than it would have taken to round everyone up.

Of course, this was a different situation than one that's weather related, but it amounts to the same thing.

crate

yellowwing
06-25-08, 10:05 PM
Dang, a tough decision to go ahead and weigh anchor. Not only are you short handed, but you're still responsible for who got left ashore. At least telling a local officer what personel are still at dock and that they get chow, a place to sleep, and a ride back.

Oh yeah, and still make operations for the crisis ahead. :D

rktect3j
06-26-08, 07:14 AM
Exactly how many Marines were left behind?