PDA

View Full Version : FENTON: Local Marine memorialized

thedrifter
06-24-08, 01:54 PM
FENTON: Local Marine memorialized

By Trish Wallace

At the age of 19, Michael Patton followed through with and died for his lifelong dream.

Anyone who knew the Fenton teenager knew of his passion for the military and his longing to join the Marines.

"Everybody knew the military was the most important thing to him," said Jane Brengle, a Fox High School English teacher.

So after his 2007 graduation from Fox, Patton joined the Marines. In April, he was deployed to Afghanistan where he was killed June 14-Flag Day.

Family and friends gathered Saturday at St. Paul Church in Fenton to pay their final respects to Patton, and show their gratitude for his service to the country. He was laid to rest at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.

Patton's sister, Rebecca Patton, said her brother was a wonderful man and a great Marine who was doing what he believed he was supposed to do.

Patton was one of four Marines killed by a roadside bomb supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. All four Marines were involved with combat operations in Farah Province, Afghanistan. They were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division.

"I could not hold back the tears when I learned of the passing of one of our own," said Fox Superintendent Dianne Brown. "It is difficult indeed to find words to express our regret at the death of this splendid young man. I am sure I speak for the entire Fox C-6 School District when I say, 'May his family find solace in the inspiring memories of his exemplary life.'"

Though Brengle only taught Patton for one semester during his senior year of high school, she said he was an important student to her.

"He was so much fun to have in class," Brengle said.

She recalled his carefree, comfortable attitude and contagious laugh. Brengle said Patton was fun to tease with and enjoyed life.

"He did have an infectious smile," she added.

During his senior year, Patton played varsity soccer as a goalie.

"He was a person who stepped in and filled a need," said Nathan Niehaus, varsity soccer coach at Fox.

The team had lost its goalie the year before, but Niehaus said Patton welcomed the challenge and made the transition from junior varsity to varsity very well.

"We went 10-10-2 that season-my best season ever-and Mike was a big part of that," Niehaus said.

Niehaus described Patton as "very coachable," always going onto the field and doing what was asked of him.

"We all knew he was going into the military," Neihaus said.

He added that Patton began his military training on the weekends during soccer season. He worked out for soccer throughout the week and jumped right into his military training when he wasn't on the soccer field.

"It's a hard thing to do to give up all weekdays and weekends, but he was on time for every practice and every game," Neihaus said.

Both Brengle and Neihaus recognized Patton as a role model.

"He had his convictions, and he stuck to those," Brengle said.

Last September, Patton married his high school sweetheart, Amy Eaker.

In addition to Amy and Rebecca, Patton is survived by his parents, James and Teresa Patton, and Margaret Patton, another sister.

"When I think about him, I think about his dimpled smile-leaning back with that sparkle in his eye," Brengle said. "I think about the young man who wanted to serve his country."

Ellie