PDA

View Full Version : Pasco teen sewing comfort for troops

thedrifter
06-23-08, 06:34 AM
Monday, Jun. 23, 2008
Pasco teen sewing comfort for troops
JENNY DRAPER HERALD STAFF INTERN

While many teens were soaking up some sun or digging their fingers into a popcorn bucket at the movies, 15-year-old Bethany Vasquez was at home in Pasco sewing pillows for troops in Iraq.

The Pasco High sophomore was inspired by her brother Cpl. Matt Vasquez, a 2003 Pasco High School grad who's serving with the Marines.

"My brother Matt is in Iraq so I know what he is going through," she said. "I wanted to do this to show (the troops) that someone is caring."

Vasquez's grandmother, Patricia Green of Pasco, said, "She came up to me and said, 'We sent Matt a care package, but isn't there something more I can do?' "

Turns out there was -- and now Vasquez has sewn more than 75 pillows, each small enough to fit comfortably inside a soldier's helmet.

"She did all the sewing, all the stuffing. I offered advice when she had a question," Green said.

The materials that allowed Vasquez to help the troops sleep a little better came from the U.S. Troop Care Package at 4302 N. Swallow St. in Pasco as part of "Operation Comfort."

For more information on how to donate or send a care package to U.S. troops overseas, go to http:// ustroopcarepackage.com.

Ellie