PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice

bgsuwoody
06-22-08, 12:58 PM
I've been around this site for a while and I am more used to giving advice than asking for it so let me make this attempt.

As of yesterday, due to circumstances in my infantry platoon I changed squads and and was promoted to a team leader. However, I am pretty much a boot being only in the fleet for like 5 months. I am confident in my skills, but am kind of nervous right now about the whole job. We are about 4 months away from a deployment in a unit with very few combat experienced Marines (since their last deployment was a MEU). My nervousness is due to the proximity to Mojave Viper and the deployment I am and not getting enough time to be ready and learn what I need to know.

I am just looking for advice on how I should handle this situation. I have a great squad leader who is helping me, but I don't want to **** this **** up. I also got promoted to this position over a lot of senior Marines and I am not looking forward to their reaction. Any help and advice would be great.

Wyoming
06-22-08, 01:15 PM
Suck it up Marine!!!

You were selected, not so much for rank or seniority, as for your attitude!!

bgsuwoody
06-22-08, 01:19 PM
Haha...almost exactly what I expected to hear. Gotta love the Marine Corps.

davblay
06-22-08, 01:22 PM
Mike, your commanders thought well enoought of your skills to promote you over some older L/Cpls! Therefore, and for that reason, I feel that they have every confidence in the world that you can do...

jetdoc
06-22-08, 01:24 PM
Woody, leadership will come from within, and I think you're a natural born leader, so that part will come naturally.

I wasn't a grunt, so I'm not sure of the pecking order but there are Sgts and above in your platoon, so you should have some support there, right?

Marine84
06-22-08, 01:31 PM
Woody you'll do fine baby Brother. Like the guys said, if the higher ups didn't think you could do it, they wouldn't be offering you the opportunity to show them what you're made of.

Pete0331
06-22-08, 01:37 PM
As of yesterday, due to circumstances in my infantry platoon I changed squads and and was promoted to a team leader. However, I am pretty much a boot being only in the fleet for like 5 months. I am confident in my skills, but am kind of nervous right now about the whole job. We are about 4 months away from a deployment in a unit with very few combat experienced Marines (since their last deployment was a MEU). My nervousness is due to the proximity to Mojave Viper and the deployment I am and not getting enough time to be ready and learn what I need to know.

There is never enough time in a day. Work hard, never quit. Never be content with the skill set your Marines have. Always push to make them better.

I am just looking for advice on how I should handle this situation. I have a great squad leader who is helping me, but I don't want to **** this **** up. I also got promoted to this position over a lot of senior Marines and I am not looking forward to their reaction. Any help and advice would be great.

Yes, you will catch hell for your higher billet, but only out of jealousy.
Don't worry about that, but also don't forget that you are a team leader and they aren't. If they get insubordinate react appropriately.

Don't worry about failing. Only be focused on what you need to succeed.

Jim Oliver
06-22-08, 02:29 PM
Woody,

You wouldn't have been put there unless your senior leadership saw something in you.

Hang tough. You can do it. I think you are the right man for the job . The fact that you question yourself and ,looking within, means that you will be careful, smart, and lead from the front.

I think you will do well.

Don't worry about what the others think. You are responsible for yourself, the mission, and your team. Let them figure out why you were promoted over them.

That should be what they are asking.

RLeon
06-22-08, 05:25 PM
You're screwed.
he he he(in my Major Payne laugh)

Ah, the beauty of the USMC, put a guy in a role bigger than his status and expect him to perform well...that's the Marine Corps way. Gotta love it.

Now you have a great opportunity to prove yourself, it's good that you are apprehensive it shows you give a damn. Don't worry about being a "boot" and not knowing everything, no one knows everything or has all the answers, this just means that you will accelerate your experience which will pay off in the long run.

Semper Fi!

SlingerDun
06-22-08, 05:55 PM
Resentment from the "oldies" does a Jr. Marine good, toughens the hide. And if you don't perform well enough in your new job you'll get fired and get to watch and resent and be a nobody again hehe. Good Luck.

Oh and by the way. One man can't please everbody and damn near everybody who's lived has been fired. Most more than once. Don't fear it just do your new job.

ecfree
06-22-08, 06:49 PM
Get er done MARINE.......GUNG HO......:evilgrin:

crate78
06-22-08, 09:33 PM
The easiest way to become a leader is to be thrust into the position and have leadership expected of you. At that point it comes naturally and all you have to do is be yourself and call it like you see it.

The Corps has no qualms about giving people responsibility, regardless of rank. Your superiors obviously have confidence in you, so don't let them down. Once the shock wears off, you'll enjoy your new role.

crate

sparkie
06-23-08, 06:57 AM
You were already taught how to 'Expand to Fit'. So, do it. Buggs. I know you can.

jrhd97
06-23-08, 12:04 PM
Your superiors know you will stumble a little, make a bad call here and there. It comes with a young Marine being given new responsibilities. You may catch hell from them, but learn from it. Nobody ever took on new responsibilities and didn't make bad calls from time to time. The good Marines, good leaders learn from those mistakes and plug on. The bad ones, well ... they never seem to learn, get fired and don't pick up rank.

If they are confident enough in you after 5 months then you have something the others don't.
Congratulations, you have proven yourself ahead of your peers. That squad leader who is helping you, stick to him. Watch your platoon Sgt. and ask questions. You may find yourself being groomed for Cpl.
S/F !

mcvet57103
06-24-08, 07:12 PM
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome Ooooh Raaaah!!! And watch the movie "Heartbreak Ridge". It's a little off the mark as far as acurate Marine corps conduct, but Clint makes some excellent points about leadership. And if you aren't to critical it actually is a fun movie. Semper Fi Brother! And remember we all make mistakes, the ones who are smart learn from them and don't repeat em.

tripledog
06-25-08, 06:53 PM
A good Marine never questions the orders of his superiors. It is a Marines order to fullfill the requirements given to him.
Just be the Marine you are and I think you will be good to go.

egbutler1
06-25-08, 08:06 PM
Someone in your unit has seen something in you. They are not just going to put you into a position of leadership if they don't think you can hack it. You will **** **** up thats just part of the process but if you have a good squad leader he will teach you the ways. As for more senior Marines getting passed over, yeah that's gonna blow and your going to get lip from them, but you must earn their respect my brother, do not demand it. The best way to do that is to know your **** and take care of your Marines. Like I said you will **** **** up, but don't let it get you down learn from your mistakes take your verbal beating and correct yourself and carry on. OOH RAH!

mcvet57103
06-25-08, 08:39 PM
Someone in your unit has seen something in you. They are not just going to put you into a position of leadership if they don't think you can hack it. You will **** **** up thats just part of the process but if you have a good squad leader he will teach you the ways. As for more senior Marines getting passed over, yeah that's gonna blow and your going to get lip from them, but you must earn their respect my brother, do not demand it. The best way to do that is to know your **** and take care of your Marines. Like I said you will **** **** up, but don't let it get you down learn from your mistakes take your verbal beating and correct yourself and carry on. OOH RAH!Couldn't have said it better. The only thing I can add is if you make a mistake, own up to it. A good leader doesn't make excuses, he accepts, and admits his mistakes, doesn't forget them, and uses them to better himself, and his men. With hard work, and help from your seniors, you will see NCO School soon. :thumbup:

gunnyhiles
06-28-08, 04:30 PM
I've been around this site for a while and I am more used to giving advice than asking for it so let me make this attempt.

These principles and traits have guided every capable leader, regardless of size of command!

In addition to the following, always remember to give an ounce of praise for every pound of ass chewing.

dependability

the certainty of proper performance of duty.

bearing

creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personal conduct at all times.

courage

the mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.

decisiveness

ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.

endurance

the mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.

enthusiasm

the display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.

initiative

taking action in the absence of orders.

integrity

uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.

judgment

the ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

justice

giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. the ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.

knowledge

understanding of a science or an art. the range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your marines.

tact

the ability to deal with others without creating offense.

unselfishness

avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.

loyalty

the quality of faithfulness to country, the corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.

gunnyhiles
06-28-08, 04:46 PM
Marine Corps Leadership Principles and Traits

know yourself and seek self-improvement.
be technically and tactically proficient.
develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.
make sound and timely decisions.
set the example.
know your marines and look out for their welfare.
keep your marines informed.
seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
train your marines as a team.
employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.

Marine Corps Leadership Traits

dependability

the certainty of proper performance of duty.

bearing

creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personalconduct at all times.

courage

the mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.

decisiveness

ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.

endurance

the mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.

enthusiasm

the display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.

initiative

taking action in the absence of orders.

integrity

uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.

judgment

the ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

justice

giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. the ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.

knowledge

understanding of a science or an art. the range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your marines.

tact

the ability to deal with others without creating offense.

unselfishness

avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.

loyalty

the quality of faithfulness to country, the corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.

SlingerDun
06-28-08, 05:44 PM
Pay attention to detail, and a job, damn near any job will begin to make sense and fall into place... Looking for particulars also stimulates interest and you might even like it once you've accumulated a bag of tricks to reach into, then you can't help but being good at your job.

Hell you don't even have to be a great leader if you got a handle on your position, people of all ages will gain confidence in you. Though a guys always gotta "prove up" (especially young and elderly men) when surrounded by new people, that never goes out of style....so basically know your fvcking job, keep adding to your data base and things will come together.