PDA

View Full Version : ‘Bittersweet’ goodbyes

thedrifter
06-22-08, 10:33 AM
‘Bittersweet’ goodbyes

By Elizabeth Farnsworth
Marietta Daily Journal Staff Writer

MARIETTA - After nearly 65 years of service at home and across the world, Marine Air Group 42 was decommissioned on Saturday.

MAG-42, originally activated in 1943, has been in Marietta since 1992. Marines from the unit have most recently served in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan opposing the Taliban; have provided support and relief in New Orleans, La., following Hurricane Katrina; and in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The unit's decommissioning was one of the first times the Naval Air Station Atlanta has felt the effects of the Base Realignment and Closing Commission of 2005, base leaders said. Tom Cooney, the public information officer for NAS Atlanta, said a business plan shows the Navy leaving the base by September 2009. Eventually, the U.S. National Guard will take over the base, Cooney said.

Between 500 and 600 Marines were based at NAS Atlanta, said U.S. Marine Corps Maj. Gary Smith. For now, about 300 Marines will remain at the air station as a part of helicopter squadron HMLA 773, or the Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron, Smith said.

Now, active duty MAG-42 Marines will be relocated to other units throughout the U.S., and reservists will be dispersed to drill at other locations, said MAG-42 Commanding Officer, Col. Douglas Hardison.

"Although today is bittersweet, I consider myself very fortunate to have given the opportunity to lead these Marines," Hardison said on Saturday to a crowd of Marines, friends and family, and leaders such as U.S. Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Marietta).

"These Marines are patriots. They volunteer to bear those costs. They love being Marines. But more importantly, they made a choice. They chose to be a part of something bigger than themselves," Hardison said.

Smith, who started off with MAG-42 in Atlanta in 1992 as an enlisted reservist, said he approached the day with mixed feelings.

"It's a bittersweet moment for everybody," Smith said. "They've had a huge impact since they've been here."

U.S. Marine Corps Col. Don Beaver, now well-known as the chief operating officer of the Cobb Chamber, was the first commanding officer of MAG-42 when it arrived in Marietta. Like others, Beaver acknowledged that the day was a little sad. But more important is the enduring commitment the Marines have demonstrated, he said.

"These young men and women, enough cannot be said about their commitment to America. MAG-42 will go away, but Marines will continue to serve their community," Beaver said.

"No matter what I would have said today, it would not have been enough," said Hardison, visibly emotional as Saturday's decommissioning ceremony wound to a close. "And I think that's enough. Semper Fidelis."

efarnsworth@mdjonline.com