PDA

View Full Version : Info About a 1977 Helicopter Crash

Pages : 1 [2]

Branson
07-19-15, 01:19 PM
I remember that day vividly, we had just got done with the exercise, I was with 81MM as a FO/radio operater for Kilo 3/4 and watched as I listened to the radio traffic and sitreps coming over the radio when we where watcing the CH-53 come to pick up the troops, we watched in horror as the Sea stallion could not lift off and went over the side and burst into flames. I remember members of our group the corpsman go running over the mountain top and go to the crash. can also remember the pilot who flew his huey that day as he took one after another of the wounded and medivaced them safely, he only had a small trail to put down on and he was truely a master at his craft never once failing to get in and out , God bless all who perished and also those who lived to tell there story.

Little Sister
08-18-15, 10:07 PM
Dear Mr. Jacobson, I am the sister of David G. Smith, who was killed in the 1977 helicopter crash in the Philippines in October 1977. My parents were first told that David was missing; five days later they were told his body was found. My parents are deceased; I am 66-years old, four years younger than David would be now. All these years have passed and here I am seeking information about David's last moments as a proud Marine. Thank you, sir, for your service. I hope you and the other survivors remain well. Sincerely, Leanne Smith Medema

tizdaday
08-19-15, 12:07 AM
Mrs Leanne Smith Medema, I wish I could help you, at the time I was responding from another company or large group of Marines not attached to the Marines that had crashed that day. I did talk to patients/survivors, but unable to recall names. I am not sure how many, if any Marines or sailors expired after being helicopter to hospitals. You must rest your conscious that your brother died with plenty of his Marine brothers, and they ensembles to the holy gate together. In a military perspective, dying with your "Brothers," is not a bad way to end your life on earth. I myself have reflected on this incident many times, so your brother has given me strength to live my live. I thank him and those other Marines and sailors whom we crossed roads together. Sincerely Gary Parido

1976-80usmcdoc
08-19-15, 01:49 PM
Seeing this post today and reflecting upon that tragic day I want to share especially for the loved ones left behind to know about some selfless acts from their Marine Corp brothers that day. The excercise was winding down when the accident occurred, 2/3 was not far from the crash site and when it did happen everyone new something bad had happened. Once the battalion had notice it was all hands on deck to assist in anyway we could. I don't know who initiated this but as the corpsman were readying themselves to be lifted up there, Marines of 2/3 started making stretchers for us to take with us out of their blouses turned inside out and fastened with bamboo poles. They knew they'd never see there camo blouses again but that didn't matter, I know it's of little relavence but it shows how much they cared to do that, I was and still am proud of those guys. Being part of the recovery team that day effected me in ways that can't be explained, but hopefully made me a better person but at a cost that never should have been paid.

Little Sister
08-19-15, 03:01 PM
wolf11, it has been more than a year since you posted regarding the October 21, 1977 helicopter crash. You mentioned Sgt. Smith who took your place, etc. I believe he may have been my brother David G. Smith. If so, he would not ever want a fellow Marine to feel badly about performing his duty. I wish I could offer you more comfort than that. Little Sister

Little Sister
08-19-15, 03:08 PM
Please know how much the loved ones at home appreciated you and all those who participated in the recovery effort. My brother, Sgt. David G. Smith, was reported missing, along with a few others, for five days. After their bodies were found, we waited for positive identification. Family members will forever be grateful to the military personnel who persevered in the Mindoro terrain to recover our loved ones.

Daveh48
09-01-15, 05:04 PM
I was in at the time the crash occurred and went to Cherry pt and was Stationed with one of the survivors Mike Kane...he had a blade hit his chest and was suffering some emotional problems...and I can only imagine his pain....the story he told, was they were on their way in and was ask to pick up the water buffalo...dropped cables and was attached however the buffalo had been there some years and one its cables broke sending the helicopter in a spiral downward....wasn't able to recover...that's his story

KASM
09-09-15, 10:25 AM
My name is billy moore I was a cpl in G co BLT 2/3 I was there that day, we seen the bird go down. They had exstended the op a couple days, we where on a combat out post and also helped in the recovery none of us took pictures, it didnt seen right.

MrTeeTyme
10-21-15, 09:04 AM
Remembering our fallen brethren and everyone touched by this event on this day.

MAP
11-22-15, 08:35 PM
Dear Little Sister, I did not see this post (#252) before sending you my private message. I am happy to see it though since it answers questions I have already asked of you. I did receive your private reply and I am attempting to respond in kind about the details you ask for about your brother. Sgt. David Smith is as fine a Marine as any would want to be. I am happy to reply with what details I can about your fine Brother and his last days. I am trying to so in a private message but it is apparently too long and will not upload to you. If you have any hesitation to provide me with an email address so I can send it to you, please don't hesitate to contact "September 23" Gloria (Anderson) Goss. We are good friends and she can vouch for my integrity.
Sincerely,
MAP

Little Sister
11-23-15, 09:50 PM
Dear Gary Matthews, I am Sgt. Smith's sister. I discovered this forum earlier this year. Your mention of my brother and the "deal" you made regarding which helicopter you would board took my breath away...for many reasons. This seems strange to say, but thank you for making the deal with him. Knowing the struggles he had when he returned from Vietnam, I am certain your willingness to board the CH46 was a relief to David. I hope you are well. I am comforted to know you and others remember my brother. Leanne

McWilliams
12-02-15, 09:40 PM
I know that it has been a while since anyone posted here , I too was on the Island when the 53 went down, I was at the water point , got up that morning to a dark cloud of smoke coming from the mt. top. went over to the radio and heard all the chatter about what happened. The worst part that I remember was one of the Samoans was on board and his cousin was on the beach, he was told at first that his cousin had died in the crash and then was told that no he had survived , after about two hours he was again told that the guy didn't survive. He almost beat the officer up that told him. If it hadn't been for a short scrawny cpl getting between him and the officer he would have.

McWilliams
12-02-15, 09:42 PM
Leanne , I knew Sgt Smith as well, He was really a great guy. even after all the years that have passed . I and all of us that were on the Island that day . remember your Brother and all the rest of the lost. Semper Fi.

LCPJohnny
01-19-16, 02:16 PM
My name is lance corporal Johnny Sorian I was in your platoon. I am the one that ran down the hill and pulled you up. No one would follow me not even the Lt. You were in shock and in bad shape . I made another trip down the hill and put the pilots out they were still burning in their seats. Then I saw my best friend the Hawiiian Mike, Pfc. Wagner and Schwartz, I could not help them. There were two Marines sitting by each other on a rock one in shock and the other one saying I am to evil to die. My third time up the hill the Lt. told the Doc to go down the hill . As we got back down the hill we saw Corporal Jake, he had a open chest wound. Doc had me place my hand on his chest till he could put something on it. Then we moved to another Marine that was laying across a log we had to move him Doc was trying to comfort him the best he could. Doc saved Marines that Day I still can remember that day fresh in my head the hair on my neck still stands up when I hear a helicopter the reason being is my friend Mike Quiane. He cut in front of me in line and took the last seat. I've never spoken about this until finding this site and read some of the posts and wanted say what I experienced. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to talk about this further.

LCPL Johnny Sorian

LCPJohnny
01-19-16, 05:58 PM
I want to add to my original post from earlier that I forgot to state that the reason my fellow Marines and Doc did not respond immediately after the crash is that we were all given a direct order to stand by and wait for the engineers, I myself disobeyed orders because I felt the guilt that I was supposed to be on that helicopter instead of my friend Mike.

Semper Fi

LCPL Johnny Sorian

Rodger Asai
03-24-16, 12:24 AM
Just a brief note. Those killed by this helicopter crash are represented on the Remembrance Rug by symbols 6254 thru 6277.

For this coming Memorial Day, the Remembrance Rug will be on display at Portland Community College - Sylvania Campus the last three school days before Memorial Day (May 25-27).

It is now about 200 feet long and contains over 10,000 symbols now.

For those in the Portland, Oregon area might be worth stopping by.

Rodger Asai
03-24-16, 03:13 PM
Given that few if any of you are in the Portland, OR area - I have taken a few pictures of the portion of the rug that contains symbols 6254-6277.

They are in my User album. There are higher quality versions of them in the General Member area.

There are cards on the sides pointing to where they are.

They are the row of 17 Dark Green over the 6 Lighter Green + Single Dark Blue one which are all connected with a red & blue stripe.

Rug symbols are color-coded by Branch of Service. Greens indicate Marines - Dark Blue is for Navy.

Let me know what if there is anything else you would like to know.

Agat
05-25-16, 11:47 AM
There was one I know, 3Bn/ 9th Marines in Mindoro Philippines. They were Ready Reserve for the 2/9 BLT I was on when we heard of it, some friends I know were badly hurt ,Carter for one...
Agat

september 23
05-29-16, 11:36 AM
In memory of Sgt Charles Anderson, the letter he wrote on Memorial Day 1977 which lands on the same date this year. May they all be rememberedMay 30, l977

Hi love,
We really had a dull Memorial day here. It rained most all day done here and I really mean hard. So I slept most of the day I guess I’m really worked out. And tonight about an hour ago I went to take a shower and when I went to turn on the water a lizard must have been sitting on the shower head and jumped on me. Glory I almost ****. I let out a yelp they probably heard on the other end of the isle.
The sun was really nice yesterday so we went down to the beach and took some hot dogs and buns, there was 3 of us from operations that went and I was gone 3 hours and in that much time I got sunburned really bad, I look like a lobster. I don’t know why because the sun wasn’t that hot but boy did I get it good. So I just lay in bed this morning because it really hurt. By back is really red. They say it doesn’t take long and I believe it now.
Tomorrow night is our first baseball game and I’m starting in left field. I really hope we win -- The commanding officer bought us our caps.
So what have you been up to this weekend babe. I hope behaving your self. I guess I shouldn’t even say anything like that because I really trust you 100 percent.
Hey Glory here’s something to think about and really think about it seriously. What would you say if I told you I’d like to try to get some leave in September or October and fly home and we could get married. This is something I want between you and I so don’t tell anyone until we discuss it between ourselves and write back and forth a few times.
I’m really sure I could get the leave because I have it on the books and LtCol Shuter will be the C.O. and I’m sure we could get him to grant me state's side leave for an occasion something as big as getting married. But think it over OK babe, And we can discuss the possibilities and weigh them and go from there.
If we decide to I’ll write Capt. Gary Neumann and ask him to be my best man. You haven’t met him but honest to god hon he’s really a super great guy and about as good as friend as a guy can get. And it would cause no hard feelings between Harper and Paul and my brother so just think about It cause honey I love you and need you just so much. The year here is going to be rough but we can do it. I just think it would be great to come home and get married because I love you so much more than anyone ever and it’s no lie.
How’s my boy and what has he been up to this past week? I’m going to send him a shirt that says “okinawa” on it as soon as I go out in town and find one that would fit him. I guess he’s almost ready for camp. I really think that he will have fun there. It seems good and he needs to get out and get with kinds his age and play. Remember how he use to sit in his room constantly when I first met you and then when he found out how nice it was to go out and play we couldn’t keep him in. He’s really been growing up in the past few months and I wish I was there with you to watch him.
You know Gloria I love that little squirt -- he’s really special to me and I want the best for him and you.
Hey hon I’ll write more tomorrow, probably during lunch.
Till then I’m yours completely now and forever
love Chuck
p.s.
Hi it's me again and I’m off for lunch I can’t help wondering what you are doing now it's 12:30 here so it's about 11:00 in Cleveland. Boy I wish I was at home with you right now. Babe I love you so much. Let’s don’t ever fight like some people. We have so much to be thankful for. The love we share, the times we have been together loving each other as only we two can do and thinking of the future when we will be as one.
It’s really beautiful if you think about it and it gives us something to look forward to.
I’m getting a package ready to send to Sam, I got him a marine shirt and a marine book so he should get it in about a week on so I’ll put in the mail tomorrow. So how’s your mom and dad been. Tell them I said “hi” and send them all my thoughts and love.
Well bozo I got to get back to the ship and work for a while. I’m leaving early to go to baseball. Tonight’s the big game. I hope we are not like the Bad news bears. ha ha
All my love
your Chuckie
16 X’s

Rocky C
05-29-16, 11:41 AM
Thought's and Prayers....

jpetito
06-08-16, 08:34 AM
Hi Rodger--

Would you mind posting a link to your Remembrance Rug photos? The group would appreciate it.

Thanks
Joe Petito, H&S 3/4 Comm.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/156185791023/

Rocky C
06-08-16, 08:43 AM
You have to belong to Facebook in order to see the group ?

What kind of Group is it ?

hjerry19
10-11-17, 01:55 PM
I was LCPL Jerry Holmes, 1st PLT, 1st Squad3/9 Lima. LCPLRaymond Anderson and I completed our overseas tour and was sent from Subic to Okinawa days before the crash. They came in and told us about the crash and many of our unit was killed in the crash. In that short time, I was only able to get bits and pieces of information and names of my fellow Marines who died. When leaving for home, I was taking amilitary passenger plane, which was broken down and I had to stay over at a hotel. We took off the next morning from Okinawa and landed in Japan, I looked out the window and we had emergency unites chasing us down the runway and smoke was coming out of an engine, we again broke down and had a layover. Taking the same plane, we took off and landed in Anchorage Alaska where the plane again broke down; I was told the plane had had brake issues. This layover, I decided to pay the extra price and have a few drinks. I thought about the hard training we all went through, the drinking and fun we had especially with Marines on this list. I also thought, maybe, I was supposed to have been on that chopper, with this plane braking down, is someone telling me something.

Station on Camp Pendleton with 2/1 Fox, I came home to my apartment, were Staff Sargent Mc Farrell was waiting with my wife. He had searched Pendleton for me to ask if I would join super squad. That was when I received all the first hand details on the crash. Cutting an area out of the jungle just big enough to land and take the injured out of the crash site. An area for medical emergency surgeries atthe site, and attempting to identify Marines during the recovery, he could identify Suda. A Captain, he believed from India Co. received a fatal cut on cut bamboo and he bleed to death during the recovery. One thing we all were trained as Marines, if you go down, you can always count on Marines coming for you at any cost.

One thing I realized being involved with different units, some units are specialized in different areas and toughness according to the harsh training they endure, 3/9 Lima was one of those special units. I think about my Marines buddies and the crash throughout my life, especially during the month of October.

Not a smart move, but I shipped all my pictures by bus home and the bus company lost everything, I only have the pictures in my head to remember this part of my life.

Simper Fi

MrTeeTyme
10-21-17, 09:15 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of us on this 40th anniversary.

I finally got the Mishap report from the Navy. It's about 200 pages. Unfortunately, I've only read the first 10 pages. When I got to the page that discussed my brothers autopsy, I discovered his death was not as the officials had told my parents. You see, my parents were told Steve was burned beyond recognition and therefore, we had to have a closed casket service. This report states he was found alive, treated for his wounds, and probably died of shock. I'm sure you can imagine how devastating it was for me to learn this. I plan to finish reading the report soon.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the report available to those here interested in reading it. It's about 200 pages. If you have suggestions, send me a PM.

Sincerely,

John Bowman, brother of LCPL Steven Bowman

september 23
10-21-17, 11:20 PM
John sent you a private reply but not sure I replied to you or myself. Have trouble navigating this sight. So here it is...

John[/QUOTE. John, yeah the 40 year mark seemed kind of surreal. I remember when it happened I kept thinking I will get old and I will remember him always as he was young. And here it is I am an almost 70 year old Sea hag and there is chuck as young as ever. But my love for him has never died that did not age. As far as the report I felt so bad for you and your family. I don't think people unles they have been through it understand the impact and mixture of emotions such information has on a person. I understand the drive and compelling force to find the truth only too well. There is a high price to be paid for it. I know. I took the path of zeroing in on the crash always assumed he was burned but never asked. i never regret the journey even if it was difficult because that was my duty to a person I loved. You and your family might see it that way in time to. Would like to hear more sometime. Love to you and your family on this day please don't feel bad about reaching out sooner. We are here now and that is what matters. Gloria

hjerry19
01-03-18, 02:40 PM
There is a facebook Mindoro Island October 21st. 1977 your brother is mentioned and many others with information.

dgfernald
04-13-18, 07:31 AM
Today is Friday the 13th. To some it is just another day and others a day of bad luck and superstition. For me, it is the memory of the 13 of us that survived and the loss of our 24 brothers on October 21, 1977 on Mindoro Island.

Couldn't sleep again! Easy to fall asleep but never able to get through the night. I was assigned to Lima 3/9 Weapons Platoon as a 0331 Machine Gunner. Arrived in Okinawa in November of 1976. As young Marines in a new place it was easy to start making friends and still have some of these same friends 40 plus years later.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and support. I would very much like to obtain a copy of the investigation as I was never interviewed having been on board and survived. You would think an investigation would solicit information from those on board as well as those witnessing the incident on the ground.

As I read through the threads I know some people are making comments that are not accurate. It may be they had read something about the incident and believe it to be true but are not. The story about a MasterSgt throwing Marines out as we tumbled down the mountain after impact is not true, at least not from where I was sitting which was right above the hellhole. There were also some of us who were not thrown from the helicopter but rode it down and managed to get out prior to the entire helicopter going up in flames. I can honestly say I think about this incident daily and still have a hard time believing it will be 41 years this October. I still remember the first Marines on the scene and being taken up the side of the mountain in a stretcher all strapped in and a sailor putting a cigarette in my mouth and lighting it. I was one of the 8 taken to Clark AFB and the other 5 survivors went to Subic Bay.

I do have some picture of some of my Marine buddies in Lime 3/9. If you are interested, please let me know. Semper Fi DGFernald

Rodger Asai
04-13-18, 02:44 PM
Sorry JP, I think I missed your note before. There isn't really a site as such. Someone setup a Facebook thing called Remembrance Rug and gave me the password, but my spare time is spent working on the RRug - not talking about it.

It was last on display at PCC (in Portland, OR) for Memorial Day 2017.

It's about 240 feet long now (almost as long as one half of The Wall). Plenty more still to add.

Rodger Asai
04-13-18, 03:43 PM
Thank you, DF.

I printed out your letter and added it to the binder with the rest of the Remembrance info for October 21, 1977. First hand stuff is the best.

I would be happy to include any memories of the friendships you had with some of the 24 in that binder also. My name (no space) at Gmail works.

I think the number of survivors of a crash is a normal trigger. Good to be able to understand what drives the logical, if involuntary, recollections and so can plan around them to some degree.

The unique set of our experiences - and the memories of them - is what distinguishes one carbon unit from another. Anniversaries, Birthdays, special places, etc. - some days I know to just stay in (away from folks that can't [and shouldn't have to] relate) and work on the RRug.

As for getting a copy of the investigation - that's what Congress people (or their staffs anyway) are for. It's their job to know where everything is - or to know who knows where it is. Senator staff are usually more helpful because they are not so constantly distracted with re-election every two years. Let being 1 of the 13 work for you. Start your letter to the Senator with "I am one of thirteen Marines who survived the helicopter crash on..."

cmgc1
05-04-18, 05:51 PM
hi..my husb was the pilot..Capt John Crapse..please get in touch

cmgc1
05-04-18, 05:53 PM
hi..my husb was the pilot..Capt John L Crapse

Rodger Asai
05-04-18, 06:17 PM
I cannot tell if you are hoping to get in touch with someone that was there at the time of the crash - or me, who never knew Capt. Crapse, but simply included him in a memorial item.

This site takes care not to publish user's contact information, but if you go to the Find-a-Grave site, they allow User's to show their email (when they so choose and I do). I posted a note on Capt. Crapse's page there a couple of years ago.

Also, Capt. Crapse's page on Find-a-Grave has some information on the cause of the crash.

cmgc1
05-04-18, 06:45 PM
I just found this site..how do I access the pages mentioned?..It was so long ago I doubt anyone would know him..just curious about what was posted..

Rodger Asai
05-04-18, 09:02 PM
Here is the link to the page I mentioned: (it is outside the leatherneck site)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/534083/john-l-crapse

But the 19 pages of comments here were posted by many people in a situation similar to yours. If you have the time to start with page 1 and go through them you may find a few folks that you would like to specifically reply to.

cmgc1
05-04-18, 11:15 PM
hi..just found this site...my husband Capt John Crapse was one of the pilots

cmgc1
05-05-18, 04:29 AM
promise this is the last question..you said you had posted on John's page a couple of yrs ago..how can I access that page?

savedbygrace
05-31-18, 01:05 AM
i remember i was in 3rd recon onna point

DaveVAUSMC
05-31-18, 10:39 PM
Hi John
I know this is a old post but I just came across this. First I am sorry for your loss. I was part of the recovery effort of the Marines bodies. I was stationed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan and I was a Miltary Policeman. A Platoon of Miltary Police from MCAS I wakuni Japan were sent to Mndoro as part of the recovery process.

DaveVAUSMC
05-31-18, 10:44 PM
Hi
I was stationed at Iwakuni also as a Military Pliceman. A Platoon of us Military Police from Iwakuni were sent to help recover the bodies. I will never forget.

cmgc1
06-01-18, 12:49 PM
thank you so much..I'm sure it wasn't an easy task.................Semper Fi.

savedbygrace
06-08-18, 06:30 AM
after mindoro crash 77ish camp fuji inserted short time later all were killed remember that day my team

was inserted shortly before one of the guys looked like my best friend back home in maine.

FoxtrotOscar
06-09-18, 05:52 PM
after <g class="gr_ gr_7 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="7" data-gr-id="7">mindoro</g> crash 77ish camp fuji inserted short time later all were killed remember that day my team

was inserted shortly before one of the guys looked like my best friend back home in <g class="gr_ gr_6 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="6" data-gr-id="6">maine</g>.

Can you put this in some sort of reasonable context to understand...???

What platoon were you <g class="gr_ gr_100 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="100" data-gr-id="100">with in</g> 3rd Recon...??? Platoon Sgt's name...???

Mongoose
06-10-18, 05:29 AM
savedbygrace......if you didn't graduate boot-camp until Dec. of 77......how was you in 3rd. recon. when this happened in Oct. 77?

savedbygrace
06-10-18, 07:23 AM
dates wrong dont type much im not a imposter thank for info got my dd214 wanna see picture i can send it to you also ive got tp capitalize MARINE

savedbygrace
06-10-18, 08:38 AM
dont need this bull **** jessee james u can deleat my membership i problet dont know how to do that right soooyor remementon raider can seat infront of your monitors and police my spelling and dates

FoxtrotOscar
06-10-18, 10:37 AM
dont need this bull **** jessee james u can deleat my membership i problet dont know how to do that right soooyor remementon raider can seat infront of your monitors and police my spelling and dates

Let me put it this way, if your to sensitive to handle a couple basic questions, that's a shame...

This is a Marine forum...

Mongoose
06-10-18, 04:26 PM

Hammer
06-10-18, 08:25 PM
Never in my life have l seen so many forgetful people on a forum. People forget their name; serial number; Platoon number ; Recruit battalion ; MOS; etc; but they can now predict the future.

Saved by Grace; I'll call you a bullhitver!

Mongoose
06-11-18, 05:53 AM
Mitch, don't be so hard on savedbygrace......also don't post about him without mentioning he was a recon Marine with 3rd Recon Bn......He reminds us of this in every post. Some people have a need to be recognized for greatness.....

Mongoose
06-11-18, 05:56 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....but in 1977. didn't you have to have a High School diploma to get in the Corps??

cmgc1
06-11-18, 07:43 AM
could someone answer my question re John Crapse page?

Mongoose
06-11-18, 04:43 PM
could someone answer my question re John Crapse page?

Are we talking about facebook or find-a-grave ??

cmgc1
06-12-18, 09:18 AM
someone said they had posted on his page..what page?

Mongoose
06-12-18, 04:34 PM
It could be either" find-a-grave.....or facebook. Type in his info on both and see what happens.

cmgc1
06-12-18, 05:20 PM
thank you...have checked find a grave but will check FB

september 23
08-18-18, 08:42 PM
Hi I am gloria Anderson and I think I called you after the crash but not sure. I would love to talk to you and see how you are if you are interested

september 23
08-18-18, 09:27 PM
For our archives:
My belief that no one could sue was proved false by info from this website but pretty much everything else was true to my knowledge at the time. My own small part of the history and information of what happened on our shared day:

Congressional Record, June 20, 1984

The Human Costs of Defense Department Oversights
Hon. Edward F. Feighan of Ohio in the House of Representatives
Wednesday, June 20, 1984

Mr. Feighan:
Mr. Speaker, we are all too familiar with the astronomical economic costs of waste, fraud and abuse in the Defense Department. Tales of $400 hammers and $1,000 wrenches don’t even raise an eyebrow anymore.
But we must not forget that shoddy work and slipshod testing methods also carry tragic human costs.
Nearly seven years ago, Sgt. Charles Anderson and thirty fellow soldiers were killed in a helicopter crash over Mindoro Island in the Philippines. The crash occurred because of a design defect in their helicopter that had been discovered ten years earlier, but was continuously overlooked by the Pentagon.
In order to make sure that oversights like this don’t happen again, Sergeant Anderson’s wife-Gloria Anderson-has written a poignant story describing the circumstances surrounding her husband’s death. It is an informative and insightful article, and I commend it to all my colleagues.

Why Helicopters Don’t Fly and Young Men Die
by Gloria Anderson

I have been hiding from helicopters for six years now. I censor all movies and television shows that might contain a helicopter scene. When I hear the unmistakable drone of a helicopter overhead, I cover my ears and pray for the moment the sound diminishes and I can breathe easily again. However, sometimes I get caught off guard. I will be carelessly watching television, when one of those “Join the Army, Air Force, Marines” commercials will appear. Before I have time to dart out of the room, there it is - a giant helicopter silhouetted against the sky. The purpose of this advertisement is to entice young men to join in on the adventure and excitement. However, the helicopter scene before me represents no vision of adventure - only a dark, ominous, specter of death, looming out of the sky, waiting to claim its next victim.
Perhaps you are wondering what is the root of this fear? Is some diabolical fiend roaming military helicopters waiting to stalk lives? The answer is no, it is not that simple. My fear arises from what I know about helicopters and then transcends into an even greater fear of what I suspect about helicopters.
It all started with my marriage, on September 23, 1977, to Marine Sgt. Charles W. Anderson. It was perhaps the greatest day of my life. Having been previously married and the mother of a young son, I had thought happiness passed my life by until I met Chuck.
The three of us were very happy. It was a sad, rainy day when my son, Sam and I took Chuck to the airport. He had to return to Okinawa to complete the remaining six months of overseas duty. We had been married one week.
On October 8, Chuck called and told me he was going on a special two week training mission that was to take place in the Philippines. He did not want me to worry if the mail was slow during this period since he wrote me every day. However, the mail was slow. I still received letters from him for over a week after I was notified that he was one of thirty men killed in a helicopter crash at Mindora Island in the Philippines on October 21, l977, just four weeks after we had been married.
What seemed like the end of my life slowly began to evolve into a long search to find out why my husband was killed. It was the least I could do for a life that meant so much to me. The Marine Corps promised a full report. The “report” arrived several months later. It consisted of one sentence stating that Chuck was killed in a helicopter crash. Somehow I felt I deserved a little more explanation than this. My whole world was deteriorating before me: Sam couldn’t concentrate at school, I could hardly get through a day of work without breaking down and sobbing at my desk. I would come home from work and Sam, trying to be too grown up for his eight years, would wear something of Chuck’s and try to act like him to compensate for our loss. Our lives were shattered and the only explanation we could get was one sentence.
I just couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong. My inquiries into the “accident” were met with polite warnings to drop the whole matter. I began to doubt myself. Perhaps I was becoming too paranoid because I just did not want to accept my husband’s death.
Not knowing what to do next, I turned to what was left of my best friend, my companion, my husband, - Chuck’s letters. I reread all of them hoping for some sort of clue or answer to tell me what to do. It was in a letter he had written to me in May, before we were married, that I found what I was looking for. His letter reads as follows:
“Gloria, I’m the operations chief, the NCOIC of a CH 53 Squadron...Well this may sound good but it’s really a mess - the squadron lost 4 aircraft here in the past six months. All crashed with pilot mishap killing all crew. What a mess. AS you can guess I’m not going to fly unless I really have to.”
I never realized the significance of this statement before. How could there be so many crashes in a non combat time period? I knew then that I had a right to know what happened. No matter how long it took, I was going to find out.
The following summer, an attorney form San Francisco contacted me and asked me to join in a class action suit against Sikorsky Aircraft, the manufacturer of the CH-53’s. A little leery of this unexpected visitor from out of town, I employed a local firm to investigate the accident.
Three years had already passed since my husband’s death, when the law firm turned over their finding to me. The following of which I will relate to the best of my knowledge.
During the late 1960’s, a new engine, the T G4-GE-4l3 was installed in the CH-53’s. The purpose of this was to increase the power of the main rotor and on a whole to make the helicopter more powerful. However it was soon evident that a mistake had been made. The tail rotor could not balance the increased power created by the main rotor. Under certain conditions the aircraft would become unstable and lose directional heading. In a letter dated May 20, 1970, to Naval Air Systems command, Sikorsky warns of these conditions: Hoover at high gross weight, hover at altitude, and maximum power climbs.
To compensate for the mistake that had been made Sikorsky designed and tested a Bell Crank System to stabilize the rear rotor. They requested that all aircraft be equipped. Seven years latter my husband and several other young men were destined to be killed aboard a CH-53, without a bell crank system installed, while trying to attempt a maximum power climb.
With the information released to me, which consisted of various correspondence between and within the Navy, Marine Corps, and Sikorsky, concerning the crash, I have been able to reconstruct certain notable events leading up to and including the tragedy at Mindora as follows:
The Large Number of Previous Crashes

My husband wrote of four fatal CH-53 crashes within six months, in a letter to me in May. A USMC correspondence refers to the Mindora crash as “In the wing alone this is the second helicopter crash within three months.” Since the Mindora crash occurred in October, I can only conclude that within a ten month period there were six fatal CH-53 crashes. I can not prove that these were all related, however it seems obvious that the absurdity in this high number is enough to raise suspicion. Also I cannot help but ask myself if and how many other crashes could there have been that I never heard of?
The “Near Miss” incident two weeks prior to the crash
This is directly quoted from the writing of my husband’s commanding officer. It speaks for itself:
“The entire CH-53 community must bear the blame for this oversight (failure to install the bell crank system). Pilots will readily admit the seriousness of the problem and can relate numerous “hairy tales” of near accidents related to loss of tail rotor authority. One such tale relates that a squadron aircraft, less than two weeks prior to the mishap (Mindora), attempted to lift tow fuel elivets, after computing that HOGE capability existed. Tail rotor authority was lost by the aircraft while still within ground effect on the deck. The relative acceptance of this deficiency in the CH-53’s performance capability is evident in the fact that the incident was not documented.”
The Crash
On October 21, 1977, my husband was one of two crew members along with two pilots to participate in a training program in the Philippines. Their mission was to fly a CH-53 to a hill, pick up 33 infantry men, pick up an empty water trailer, take off and deliver the crew and cargo to another location. This maneuver called for a “maximum power climb” which Sikorsky had warned of seven years earlier. True to their prediction, shortly after lift off the helicopter began to lose directional control. It slowly started to rotate in mid air. The crew tried desperately to lessen the weight. For a moment there was hope that they might come back into control, then being in such a mountainous region, the tail of the helicopter hit a tree and broke apart. The helicopter then started to fall uncontrollably for 400 feet. It impacted the jungle and burst into flames.
Therefor it was an accumulation of poor planning, errors, negligence, mishaps, and possible lost lives, spanning almost a decade , that went into the making of this tragedy at Mindora. The only answer I have been able to come up with as to how such a lack of responsibility to human life was allowed to continue for such a long period lied in the fact that no one was legally responsible. When Sikorsky issued their letter of warning to the Navy in May of 1970, they were no longer liable in the eyes of the law. The government wasn’t liable because a serviceman is not permitted to sue the U.S. for injuries or death sustained in the line of duty. Therefore everyone was off the “hook.” That is everyone except people like my husband who were dead and people like myself who were left over. I wonder how many of us there are?
To further complicate the situation, I became aware of another problem. A friend from my husband’s squadron kept in touch with me for a few years. He was thoroughly convinced that the crash at Mindora was due to pilot error and had nothing to do with mechanical defect whatsoever. I would think that by now some of the people involved would have at least questioned pilot training if they refused to believe in anything else to explain the plague of helicopter mishaps. The legacy continues.
The Navy, in a panic after all the causalities at Mindora, issued orders to install the bell crank system on all remaining aircraft. I do not know if or when this was ever carried out. However, I could not help but notice that, after the fact, four out of eight CH-53’s developed operational difficulties during the mission to rescue the hostages being held in Iran several years ago. The cause of these difficulties somehow got dropped during the shuffle of events. Later the hostages came home free on an airplane. All the men who flew on one of the CH-53’s (to rescue them) were dead.
During the six years since Chuck’s death, there still seems to be a lot of helicopter crashes. I know because of the pain I feel each time I read or hear of one. The reason, the kind of aircraft, the number of people killed, all vary. The worst of these news reports is one that I read on the front page of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, April 1, 1984. To quote directly from the opening sentence that appeared in the newspaper, “A design problem in Bell Military helicopters maybe responsible for 231 deaths since 1967, but remains largely uncorrected even though the army discovered it ten years ago.” I read this with a numbing realization. That it was the same story over again with a few changes. Instead of the Marine Corps, it was the army. Instead of the manufacturer being Sikorsky, it was Bell. Ironically, more military men have been killed in peace-time helicopter crashes than in Beirut. Somehow this senseless slaughter must stop.
I can still remember my husband, tall, confident, and proud. There was always something so special about him that when he wrote to me in one of his last letters, “I guess I never, ever, will get over falling so completely in love with you.” I can not help but reply to a person that is no longer there, “I guess I never, ever, will get over how carelessly your life was tossed away.”

May, 7, 1986, Cleveland Plain Dealer
17 missing in crash of U.S. Marine helicopter
Tokyo(AP) - A U.S. Marine helicopter plunged into the ocean yesterday about 15 miles south of the Japanese island of Yukushima and no trace of the 17 people aboard were found. ......The CH-53 helicopter reported mechanical problems on a 195 mile return flight from Iwakuni......

May 15, 1986, Cleveland Plain Dealer
Crash victim had warned of flaws in copters
Santa Ana, Calif. (AP) - A Marine killed in the fiery crash of a helicopter had said in a tape recording released Tuesday that flight crews were worried about mechanical defects in the aircraft.
Sgt. Dulles Arnette, killed Friday with three other Marines in the desert crash, described manufacturing flaws in a taped interview released by a lawyer who is suing the manufacturer of the CH- 53 helicopters.
Arnette, who was upset at the death of a friend in the ocean crash off San Clemente Island, had agreed to testify in a lawsuit against Sikorsky Aircraft, which makes the copter. .....The Marine Corps has no plans to ground its fleet of Super Stallions.
January 3, 1987
Crash-prone copter kills five more
Brawley, Calif.(AP) - The Marine Corps yesterday began investigating a crash in California that killed the five man crew of a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter, a big transport that was the subject of a congressional inquiry after a series of fatal accidents. ...
January, 1987
Chopper crash costs Marine boss his post
Tustin, Calif. (AP) - The squadron commander for five Marines killed in a helicopter crash last week has been removed from duty, a Marine Crops spokeswoman said. Lt. Col. Sam J. Ware was removed as commander. “He was relieved for the stated reason of lack of confidence,” she said. She would not elaborate. Records show the Heavy Marine Helicopter Squadron 465 that Ware and his predecessors commanded has been involved in more crashes and deaths than any other Super Stallion Unit.

september 23
10-20-18, 09:14 PM
Loving memory sgt charles anderson

tizdaday
10-24-18, 08:21 PM
I was there. My brothers are deceased due to poor funding, communication breakdown? This affected my life forever. We grunts, squid grunts, air personal deserve better. This is a travesty. I feel disheartened, and this should have never happened. May these souls RIP. I hope my spirit will connect with the deceased, amen.

september 23
01-31-19, 10:13 PM
My husband will always be a hero to me and those that die in training or accidents are often not celebrated enough. When this happened the reason for every crash was Pilot Error no matter what the circumstances. I no longer hear that excuse anymore in the news. It is a great step forward to providing safety for our men. I really hope this with all my heart. In a time that communications were not what they are today, many people strived for the truth so this would stop. All the things people believed about the accident are true. There were issues with the weight, the water tank, the terrain, all contributed and may have been the reason they could not get it back in control but the lack of bell crank system was huge for the failure of this mission. The commanding officer fought hard

september 23
01-31-19, 10:15 PM
My husband will always be a hero to me and those that die in training or accidents are often not celebrated enough. When this happened the reason for every crash was Pilot Error no matter what the circumstances. I no longer hear that excuse anymore in the news. It is a great step forward to providing safety for our men. I really hope this with all my heart. In a time that communications were not what they are today, many people strived for the truth so this would stop. All the things people believed about the accident are true. There were issues with the weight, the water tank, the terrain, all contributed and may have been the reason they could not get it back in control but the lack of bell crank system was huge for the failure of this mission. The commanding officer fought hard for it to not be pilot error and assign the blame on lack of bell crank retrofit. The Washington Post was amazing and almost got the story on 60 minutes but was pulled at last minute. The "war" for safety and respect for our servicemen is a continuing battle that must be fought like any war against a country. No freedom comes easily and without a price. So I pray that the future will hold a safer and better life for all who protect our country.

september 23
07-30-19, 11:38 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33306&stc=1

september 23
07-31-19, 07:07 AM
This is a prototype. Still looking for first. Names of survivors

jpetito
08-03-19, 11:57 PM
Going back, reviewing this thread, started from a single question begun in 2008 and looking at what it's become is beyond astounding.

A thank you to all who have contributed, in so many ways to bring attention to this event.

Sgt Sigaran
01-10-22, 10:45 PM
Hello my name is Jose Sigaran and I was a Lance Cpl. aboard the USS New Orleans when the Helicopter went down. I just want to know what was your brother, LCPL Steven Bowman Military Occupation Specialty (MOS) at the time because I might know him.