PDA

View Full Version : Rules snub grad who joined the Marines

thedrifter
06-20-08, 08:07 AM
Rules snub grad who joined the Marines
By Tara Kadium
Friday, June 20, 2008

Recently, I attended my son's graduation at Conejo Valley High School in Thousand Oaks. It was a happy time, with family and friends to cheer him on.

During the ceremony, retiring principal James Martin made an announcement that one young man was graduating — Raymond Peter Paladino. Though the young man was not participating in the ceremony, the principal said he wanted to acknowledge him, as he had chosen to serve his country.

Heads turned, and a handsome young man standing off to the side in the audience was noticed. In full military dress, he had been watching gowned class speakers, listening to their speeches. An air of quiet dignity and a touch of wistfulness were in his manner as he acknowledged a few murmurs and hand claps, before the event continued.

Sensing something amiss, I immediately went over to congratulate him. He thanked me and I shook his hand and wished him the best in the future. I asked if I could get a picture of him, and his mother took a picture of both of us standing together. His mother was very proud, explaining how hard he had to work to graduate, due to his commitment to serve in the U.S. Marines. I was struck with his patriotism and self-effacing demeanor.

"But why are you not up there with the others, getting your diploma?" I asked. He told me he had not been allowed to because he had been unable to attend the rehearsal the day before. "Why couldn't you attend?" I asked, hardly able to believe it. "I could not get leave," he answered sadly.

After the ceremony, I went to Mr. Martin, and told him how shocked I was that the Marine would be denied the privilege of participating in the ceremony.

I told him that I would have preferred to let him graduate with the rest of the class.

Mr. Martin told me attending the rehearsal is the rule.

A young man was denied participation in his own graduation, a dream crushed because he could not obtain leave for the rehearsal. I wondered what kind of message is being sent to our serving countrymen when their achievements are dishonored in such a rigid and inflexible structure?

What type of leadership is leading our younger generation that casts aside humanity under the guise of "rules"? What kind of thanks was extended to one who is defending this nation, and in doing so was trampled upon?

I urge our school, city and state leaders to honor those graduating while in military service, and to appreciate their sacrifices, and especially bestow all due recognition to Raymond Paladino.

— Tara Kadium lives in Thousand Oaks.

Ellie