PDA

View Full Version : Different Ribbons, Medals and other Awards!

Sparrowhawk
07-31-02, 10:31 AM
Anybody been awarded other ribbons, medals, honor, other than military.. No, Ladyleatherneck Skip-robe jumping in 3rd grade award does not count!

This one for providing security for the Pope in 1987

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/pope1.gif

This one for being on the Law Enforcement side, during the Rodney King Riots...

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/rodney1.gif

Sparrowhawk
07-31-02, 11:14 AM
Can law enforcement ribbons be displayed, next to, or along side military ones?

Just wondering...

Have never displayed my law enforcement ones with my military ones....

thedrifter
07-31-02, 12:38 PM
Cook,

See no reason why you cannot dispaly all your awards both Militarty and Police. Question: Where do you want to display your awards? let me know.

Sempers,

Roger

Sparrowhawk
07-31-02, 01:09 PM
I didnt want to display them

I guess I could display the Rodney king one on my baton...LOL

and the Pope one on my halo......

I was just wondering that's all.......LOL

Maybe I'll give the Pope ribbon to LL's so she'll repent of all her evil ways......

LadyLeatherneck
07-31-02, 02:46 PM
HALO? What halo Sparrow?! You ain't got one.
The only Halo you have is the one that sits on top
of those two horns coming out of your head! :p

JRtheSTAR
08-01-02, 04:16 AM
I have been awarded Medals from the Marine Corps League. Mostly for recruiting new members into my detachment.
Detachment Recruiters Medal ( bronze ) 5 awards.
Department Recruiters Medal ( silver ) 5 awards.
National Recruiters Medal ( bronze ) 2 awards
National Recruiters Medal ( silver ) 2 awards. I'm up for my 3rd one and should get it in August at the convention.

Sparrowhawk
01-08-03, 08:51 PM
New CMC Decides To Stop Wearing 3 Medals....
and Joe Gore's response about the La Riots reminded me of these medals.

How about this LA Riots medal?

They are still for sale for $13.95,(tax included), LOL

firstsgtmike
01-08-03, 10:23 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and they should.

If memory serves me, Marines in dress uniform are permitted to wear medals and ribbons issued by foreign governments on the right side, US honors on the left side. There are probably provisions for state issued awards, and restrictions as to what is not authorized.
-------------------------------------------
I remember the day I enlisted at AFEES. We were all "Direct Ship", which meant pass the AFQT, pass the physical, take the oath and wake up in San Diego.

One of us processing was "outstanding" in the true sense of the word. We wore whatever. He was all spiffed up in suit and tie. He had a chestful of ribbons and badges, and one which looked like a shooting badge with additional awards that made it look like a 12" ladder.

When questioned, he pointed to each one with pride. Boy Scout Merit Badges, Sunday School Achievement Badges, etc.

I had forgotten all about him until reading this thread. In retrospect, I would have loved to have been there when his DI met him on the yellow footprints.
-------------------------------------------------
In one respect, I envy Medal of Honor winners. They wear one decoration, which says it all.

If it wasn't for our innate need to impress one another, I'd be satisfied with the EGA. That says all I need to know.

Semper Fi

Barndog
01-09-03, 05:09 AM
That poses a great question........ that I've been curious about.

I recieve a few accomidations from the National Guards. Couple of Army Achievement Medals, good conduct, aircrew wings and some other stuff.

Now, I really HATE to ask this, but. if it permissable to wear those on my (beat me now, beat me now) Marine uniform?

Semper FI (go ahead, beat me now)

leroy8541
01-09-03, 07:27 PM
yes it is and unfortunately you are out of uniform if they are not displayed, i, although do not like to speak of it,did a hitch with the army reserves when i was still in high school. after completion of ait was awarded the army rainbow ribbbon. after joining the Marine Corp I did not want to wear the rainbow ribbon but since it was on my 214 from the army i had to wear it, or be out of uniform. Man I tell you I hated that thing!!

greensideout
01-09-03, 09:22 PM
Ribbons can be displayed on the uniform if:

They are not inferior TO the uniform.

That means that the awards are on the same level, example--Marine, Navy, Army, Air Force, Coast Guard and all their reserve components ribbons may be worn upon any of those uniforms.
Foreign ribbons are worn with approval, such as the Viet Nam awards.

Boy scout or ROTC, etc. don't make the cut.

I far as I know, you can display your military and other awards however you wish. Just not on a military uniform.

If you do, just one cavet---you may look like a Mexican General!

Hope this is helpful.

Careful Marines, I know what you are thinking about that word, "Inferior".

leroy8541
01-11-03, 08:14 AM
you mean like "army" ribbons on a MARINE CORP uniform?

mardet65
01-21-03, 03:58 PM
After my four years with the Marines, I spent time in an Air Force Uniform serving with the New York Air National Guard. I earned the Medal for Merit, Conspicuous Service Star, Aid to Civil Authority Medal, Humane Service Medal and two ribbon only awards; the Longevity Award Ribbon w/ oak leaf cluster and Small Arms Expert Ribbon w/Star (Rifle & Pistol Expert). Two of the ANG medals I received for duty with the Air Force Security Police inside Attica State Penitentiary during the 1979 prison strike. All these ribbons could be worn on the Air Force Uniform. However, If I were wearing a Marine Corps Uniform I could not wear the Two Air Force Ribbons. The reason for this is that the USMC has corresponding awards that supercede them. The longevity Ribbon is the counterpart of Marine Corps hashmarks which note each 4 years of honorable service. The Small Arms Expert ribbon of course would be replaced by the USMC shooting badges (only after meeting USMC shooting standards). As a member of the VFW Color Guard I freguently wear our orginizations uniform. I choose not to wear my national guard ribbons but wear only the eight federal ribbons. I do however proudly display all my medals and ribbons in a shadow box at home and in my signature below. I believe I'm correct that civilian police orginization medals and ribbons cannot be worn on military uniforms. National Guard (State) ribbons can be worn as long as they are worn after all other awards (including foreign) and there are no service specific restrictions (such as stated above).

mardet65
01-21-03, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Barndog
That poses a great question........ that I've been curious about.

I recieve a few accomidations from the National Guards. Couple of Army Achievement Medals, good conduct, aircrew wings and some other stuff.

Now, I really HATE to ask this, but. if it permissable to wear those on my (beat me now, beat me now) Marine uniform?

Semper FI (go ahead, beat me now)

Barndog:
You can and should wear all the ribbons you earned as long as theres no service specific restrictions which apply. Regarding your army awards; you must first distinguish between state and federal awards. Your army achievment and good conduct medals are federal awards and should be worn in order of precedence with all your other ribbons. Any state awards would be worn last after federal and foreign awards.