PDA

View Full Version : Marine fighter group lands at Miramar to cheers, hugs

thedrifter
05-07-03, 06:39 AM
Marine fighter group lands at Miramar to cheers, hugs

By David Hasemyer
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

May 6, 2003

There are defining moments in life: the birth of a child, a marriage, lost love.

Talk to veterans of war and reflective looks cross their faces when they recall their days in combat. That distinctive look was evident on the faces of Marine fighter pilots and weapons systems officers who flew F/A-18 Hornets in battle over Iraq.

The 24 pilots and weapons systems officers along with approximately 125 ground crew members of VMFA-225 – the Vikings – returned home to Miramar Marine Corps Air Station yesterday to the cheers and hugs of loved ones.

Although the air crews dismissed their performance in Operation Iraqi Freedom as simply doing their duty, their time in the sky will take on deeper significance in the years to come.

"It will take time to sink in, what we've done, what we've seen," said Maj. Karl Hill, a weapons systems officer.

"It may be that we had a hand in the changing of world events."

The Vikings pounded Iraq from an air base in Kuwait, flying hundreds of missions and delivering laser-guided bombs and Maverick missiles on targets from Baghdad to Kut.

Pilots flew an average of 33 missions after being deployed to the Persian Gulf in late January, and none of the 12 jets in the squadron was hit by enemy fire.

They are home now in the embrace of loved ones and clinging dearly to the experience of the last four months.

"I'll hold tight to my memories until I go to my grave," said Maj. Che Bolden, a weapons officer.

"This will be a part of me forever."

The memories are sobering, and they are humorous.

These Marines knew and understood the awesome destructive power they unleashed and were humbled by the implications. Yet, they got a chuckle out of the routine: eat, sleep, fly, eat, sleep, fly.

What will be memories for the future are stories for today.

For Hill, it's the people of Iraq. For Capt. Doug Dowson, it's the blowing sand. For Maj. Randy Bresnik, it's the fellowship between Marines.

"We could sense what was happening with the Iraqi people," Hill said. "To think that they might have some of the freedoms we enjoy was humbling."

Lifetime bonds were formed between pilots like Bresnik and the Marines they served with. Such ties will endure with the strength of family, of that Bresnik is sure.

"They are my brothers and sisters," he said.

Their memories are vivid now but will need the context of time before solidifying as part of history.

"The meaning will become deeper and the long range implications will become clear with the passage of time," weapons officer Dowson said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Hasemyer: (619) 542-4583; david.hasemyer@uniontrib.com

Sempers,

Roger