PDA

View Full Version : Suffield Post Office Renamed To Honor Slain Marine

thedrifter
06-18-08, 07:55 AM
Suffield Post Office Renamed To Honor Slain Marine

By SHAWN R. BEALS | Courant Staff Writer
June 18, 2008

SUFFIELD — - Stephen R. Bixler is remembered in town as the respectful Boy Scout, or the athletic young man who his father said loved to watch movies and could "shake the house" with his snoring. Now, he will also be remembered as a Marine who gave his life protecting and serving his country.

At a ceremony Tuesday at Suffield Middle School, the town post office was renamed the Cpl. Stephen R. Bixler Post Office, for the soldier who grew up in town and served three tours in Haiti and Iraq before he died in combat.

Bixler, who was 20 when he died in 2006 on foot patrol in Fallujah, was a 2003 graduate of Suffield High School and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

"We remember all those little things that were so unique — unique just to Steve," said Richard Bixler, his father, a postal carrier in Windsor Locks.

"I wear his name on my wrist as a constant reminder of the sacrifice he made for me, his teammates and his country," said Nick Lodestro, Bixler's former platoon commander in the 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion. "If you were out of T-shirts, he'd give you the one off his back. If you were out of clips of ammunition, he'd throw you one of his. He was willing to lay down his life for yours."

Friends of the Bixler family and town and state officials attended the ceremony to honor a neighbor they say was hardworking, respectful and honest.

"Dedicating the post office pales in comparison to the human excellence he displayed," said U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney, D-2nd District.

He said he was initially approached with the idea by Kevin Goff, a friend of the Bixlers. Courtney decided "to put the idea to a test," asking for comments from the town.

"The response to my office was nothing short of overwhelming," Courtney said.

The Rev. Michael DeVito of Sacred Heart Church said renaming the post office was significant for not only the country and the state, but especially for the town.

"He is part of our family, the family we call Suffield," DeVito said.

State Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said the dedication is fitting because of the hard work and service that are the core of both postal workers and Marines.

"By their hard work, our lives are enriched, and nothing could be more appropriate," Blumenthal said. "[Bixler's] memory will be an inspiration today, tomorrow and in the years and years ahead."

After getting the town's support, Courtney introduced a bill that was ultimately signed by President Bush to rename the town's only federal building.

The town previously dedicated a bench in Bixler's name near the Veterans' Monument at Bridge and Main streets.

On June 28, there will be a charity basketball game to benefit the Stephen Bixler Foundation at Suffield High School. There will be a faculty game at 5:30 p.m. Players from the 2000 Suffield and 2001 Windsor Locks state championship teams will play at 7 p.m. Admission is $5.

Contact Shawn R. Beals at sbeals@courant.com.

Ellie