PDA

View Full Version : Marine, 20, wanted to help defenseless

thedrifter
06-17-08, 06:17 AM
Marine, 20, wanted to help defenseless

By Susan Gilmore

Seattle Times staff reporter

Master Sgt. Michael Washington Sr. was driving to California with his teenage son, Michael, shortly after returning from Afghanistan in 2003.

As they listened, a reporter on National Public Radio was extolling the virtues of the Marines the reporter had traveled with in Iraq.

"I looked at my son and realized that was what he was going to do," said the senior Washington, a Seattle firefighter.

His son, Sgt. Michael T. Washington, 20, died Saturday when a roadside bomb exploded in the Farah province area of Afghanistan.

A graduate of Stadium High School and a longtime soccer player, Sgt. Washington joined the Marines when he was 17. He served last year in Iraq and received commendations for bravery, providing fire to get other Marines out of a combat zone. He was deployed to Afghanistan in April.

He served in Golf Company, 2nd Batallion, 7th Marine Regiment, based in Twentynine Palms, Calif. His deployment was to have ended in October.

The senior Michael Washington said his son told him he wanted to join the Marines to help those who couldn't help themselves. "He said, 'Dad, I want to defend people who can't defend themselves. It takes people to stand up and do this,' " he said.

The father has been a firefighter since 1994 and now works at Fire Station 27 in Georgetown.

He's struggling to cope with the death of his only son. "I'm starting a marathon now, a horrible, horrible marathon," he said. "It's trying to hurt a little less every day."

Washington said he will fly to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to retrieve his son's body.

"It's important that everyone knows what a fine man he was," said Washington. "He was his own person. He loved being a Marine. He had the world at his feet."

His son was a third-generation Marine, and his daughter, Aja Collins, served as a Korean linguist in the Army. She now lives in South Korea.

Firefighters are helping Washington deal with the loss of his son. "I was proud to have known [Sgt. Washington] for the short time I did," said Mark Lundquist, a Seattle firefighter. "I watched him grow up at the fire station and would hear his exploits from his dad."

Funeral services are still being arranged.

Susan Gilmore: 206-464-2054 or sgilmore@seattletimes.com

Ellie

Backblast
06-17-08, 06:19 AM
Terrible news. I just don't know what to say about it. Absolutely saddening.

thedrifter
06-20-08, 06:28 AM
TEARS FOR THE FALLEN One Marine, two big families
BRIAN EVERSTINE; brian.everstine@thenewstribune.com
Published: June 20th, 2008 01:00 AM
With fists clenched and backs straight, Marines and firefighters waited silently together for the flag-draped casket to appear.

Seven Marines slowly carried the casket from a military cargo plane to a hearse Thursday at McChord Air Force Base as a Seattle Fire Department bagpiper played “Amazing Grace.” It was a combination of honors that transcended both services for a man who deserves all the recognition, Marines and firefighters said.

Sgt. Michael T. Washington, 20, a Tacoma Marine, was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday – the day before Father’s Day. The fallen Marine’s dad is a Seattle firefighter, and his buddies came down to McChord to ensure that the younger Washington was properly honored, not only as a member of the military but also as part of the Fire Department family.

“He is a great Marine,” said Master Gunnery Sgt. Marc Williams, a family friend who accompanied the body from Dover, Del. “Wherever he has gone, he has been recognized.”

Sgt. Washington was born in Southern California but moved to Tacoma at a young age. He graduated from Stadium High School in 2005 and joined the Marines, just like his father and his grandfather. He was a member of G Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, based at Twentynine Palms, Calif.

He served a tour in Iraq and was decorated for protecting his fellow Marines during an ambush.

His father, also named Michael, would gleam with pride for his son, even though both Washingtons were known to be humble, the older man’s co-workers said. While his son was home on leave, the father found after-action reports detailing the bravery the young man was honored for, and proudly posted them on his locker in the firehouse.

“They always say no father should ever outlive his son, and especially in these circumstances, it’s hard,” said firefighter and bagpiper Karl Zapf.

There’s a large military presence in the department, and Washington’s death affected the department deeply, said Lt. David Iranon, the elder Washington’s lieutenant at Engine Company 27.

“This brought everyone together. Everyone is touched by it,” Iranon said.

Washington’s father, who retired from the Marines in 2004, welcomed his son at Klontz Funeral Home in Auburn, in his old Marine dress uniform and with his family at his side. Michael T. Washington is survived by his father, mother Grace and sister Aja Collins.

His father gave a slow salute and his mother shed quiet tears as the casket carrying their son emerged from the vehicle. Volunteers surrounded the funeral home waving flags and holding salutes.

“Thank you. God bless you, everybody, for honoring my son,” the elder Washington said after his namesake was taken inside the funeral home.

Firefighters organized a procession for Sgt. Washington up Interstate 5 and along highways 512 and 167 to Auburn that included fire engines and ambulances on every overpass, with officers standing and saluting the line of vehicles below. Seattle fire vehicles followed the hearse, waving the American and Marine Corps flags.

About a dozen motorcycle riders from the Patriot Guard Riders rode in the procession, flags flying behind Harley-Davidsons. Joel “Cowboy” Oestriech, leader of the group of riders, said the volunteer corps honors fallen soldiers by protecting the families in the toughest times.

“It is another way to serve my country, serve my heroes,” he said.

After the young sergeant’s body was taken to the funeral home, Marines stayed behind to guard their fallen brother for as long as the family wanted.

“I hear all the tragic stories of soldiers dying and being injured, but was never personally touched by those tragedies,” said the Fire Department’s Iranon. “But having a close friend like Mike, having his son die, just brings everything so much closer.”

Brian Everstine: 253-597-8374

services

What: Memorial service for Marine Sgt. Michael T. Washington

When: 10 a.m. June 27

Where: Northwest Church, 34800 21st Ave. S.W., Federal Way

Also: Public burial follows at 1:15 p.m. at Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent.

Ellie