PDA

View Full Version : New Atlantic City firefighters have military, maternal flavor

thedrifter
06-14-08, 05:44 AM
New Atlantic City firefighters have military, maternal flavor

(Published: Saturday, June 14, 2008)

ATLANTIC CITY - It was a first for an Atlantic City Fire Department graduation here.

"Go, mommy!" Mykhara Watson yelled as a DVD of the recruit training was played during the ceremony.

Mommy is Latoyiah Watson - make that Firefighter Latoyiah Watson. She and Nicola Harvey brought to three Friday the number of women to be members of the city's modern-day department. They are the first black women to serve; Watson is the only mother.

"We're very proud of her," said 8-year-old Mykhara, who wants to follow in her mom's footsteps. "I helped her study."

Little sister Zakeia, 23 months, seemed unfazed. She just wanted to be in her mother's arms as the ceremony ended.

But the women who joined the ranks Friday shared a bond with much of their class, even before becoming firefighters. Like 16 of the department's newest male members, they are war veterans as well.

"You'd think veterans would be easier to train," said Capt. Murph Brangenberg, one of the academy instructors. "But you can't put the fear of God in them."

Not after Iraq.

Harvey - who graduated third in the class of 29 - received the Purple Heart after being injured by an IED. She had shrapnel in her eyes and back. But as soon as she returned home, she told her mother she wanted to be a firefighter.

"I was worried, just like when she went to Iraq," said Winifred Dennis, who moved here with Harvey from Jamaica about 14 years ago. "These are dangerous jobs. But if anybody could make it, I knew it would be she."

While it may have raised their fear threshold, the military also set the recruits up for the strenuous 14 weeks of training, including the last two dealing with hazardous materials.

"It just takes a different kind of hardening," said new Firefighter Alex Cadavid, who served in the Marines. "It's still a shock to your body, no matter how tough or how in shape you are."

For former Air Force Staff Sgt. Bryan Berthold, this day was what he always dreamed about.

"I wanted to be a firefighter since I was 5 years old," the Absegami High School graduate said.

On Friday, Berthold not only got his wish, he received the class award for academic excellence, maintaining a 95 percent grade point average throughout the academy.

Also receiving awards were: Kyle Pollock, most physically fit; Robert Gragg, best all-around firefighter; Steve Blair, for overall performance and demeanor; and Dennis Coaxum, most improved.

"I feel proud to be the mayor today," said Scott Evans - whose loss in last month's Democratic primary means he will be returning to his old job as a battalion chief in the department. "It is the noblest profession I know of. Better than being mayor, I can assure you without a doubt."

As he wrapped up his speech he told the class: "I look forward to working with all of you in the future. I'll be seeing you guys soon."

The class is ready, Battalion Chief Paul Shropshire said.

"We put a piece of us into each one of you," the instructor said. "Before, I would only call you recruits. I am proud to say today you are now firefighters.

The new Atlantic City firefighters are: Gennaro Basso, Gragg, Harvey, Stephen Duran, Berthold, Andrew Biscieglia, Thomas Flanagan, Ranon McLaughlin, Joshua Hoag, James Gillespie III, Cadavid, Martin Basso, Juan Flores, Coaxum, Dominic Berry, Broer Linblad, Michael McCabe, Watson, Pollock, Vincent Carleo, Sven Peltonen, Neil Anderson Jr., Blair, Ismail Abdussamad, Keith Coursey Jr., Andrew Lubaczewski, William Hamilton, Jr., Salvatore Cavalieri and Andrew Kyle.

To e-mail Lynda Cohen at The Press:

LCohen@pressofac.com

Ellie