PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa Marine meets up with, serves with father in Iraq

thedrifter
06-13-08, 07:43 AM
AL-ASAD, Iraq (June 13, 2008) -- When Lance Cpl. Andre Jackson deployed to Iraq, he knew his step-father would also be there somewhere. But he had no idea he would be working on the same base, let alone the same street.

Jackson, an operations clerk with the Okinawa-based Marine Wing Support Squadron 172, currently attached to 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward), reunited in Asad with his step-father, Gunnery Sgt. Darrell Dorsey, the squadron gunnery sergeant of Marine Light/Attack Helicopter Squadron 167, for the first time since Jackson's graduation from boot camp in April 2007.

"I surprised him when he got here," explained Dorsey, a Fort Worth, Texas, native. "I walked into his squadron's headquarters building and saw him walking down the hall toward me. He walked right past me at first. He definitely didn't expect to see me here."

Dorsey isn't the only one in his family with a knack for surprises. Less than two years ago, Jackson had a surprise of his own for his step-father.

"I was on my second deployment when my wife said I needed to call Andre," Dorsey said. "When I called him, he was at a hotel, waiting to swear into the Marines at the (Military Entrance Processing Station)."

Having a step-father in the Marine Corps made the choice to join an easy one, Jackson said.

"We both love football and playing video games," Jackson said. "I thought this could be one more thing we could share."

Being on deployment together also gives the Marines a chance to catch a glimpse of each other's military life, said Dorsey, who plans to reenlist in June with Jackson present.

"I know some of his leaders and get to hear what they have to say about his work ethic," Dorsey added. "It makes me very proud of him. Living together and watching him grow up was great, but to be here, making history together is very meaningful to me."

The two Marines who have shared so much of their lives plan to catch up on a few more things when they both return home.

"We are going to Disney World when we get back," Dorsey said, "and maybe we will get to go to our first professional football game together."