PDA

View Full Version : Marines show off gear on community day

thedrifter
06-13-08, 07:26 AM
June 12, 2008
Marines show off gear on community day

By Laura Olson
laura.olson@indystar.com

The display put on by Marines at the Indiana State Fairgrounds today had special meaning for Penny Wallace.

Her son is on his second tour in Iraq, driving vehicles like those that the Marines rolled out for the public to take a look at.

“He kept sending pictures of himself in front of the Humvee,” said Wallace, who lives in Clinton. “Now I can see it myself.”

She was among an appreciative crowd that showed up for the event staged by the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, the same outfit that has been training at Camp Atterbury and that held a mock raid in the city Monday night.

Civilians could climb in Humvees and helicopters, take a close-up look at guns and assault rifles, and pose for photos with the Marines.

The demonstration began with an award ceremony for Gunnery Sgt. Steven McNeill, who was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for his help barricading some farmland and securing the levee in Elnora.

Helicopters then approached the crowd at the fairgrounds’ racetrack, their rotors sending dust into the spectators’ faces. Children, many decked out in Marine gear and camouflage shirts, looked up in awe.

“Here it comes!” shouted Christopher Porter, 7, to his father before he began snapping pictures.

Marines brought out several vehicles and an assortment of weaponry for the crowd to explore. Children crouched on the ground, peering through scopes, while the soldiers explained how the equipment works.

Staff Sgt. Bryce Piper said the unit wanted to share more about itself with Indianapolis residents.

“There’s been a lot of press on our presence, as there should be,” Piper said. “People are very curious and want to see us and our equipment.”

Among the folks coming to take a look was April Severe, a member of the Young Marines program that works with kids from age 8 to high school.

“It’s amazing,” said April, 13. “I want to drive a helicopter now — they’re as big as a bus!”

Former National Guard members Jim Porter, Greenfield, and Ken Noland, Indianapolis, also came out, and said it reminded them of their service days.

“I wanted to show them that I’m glad they’re here,” said Noland, 64, as he inspected a Humvee. “A lot has changed since I’ve been in. (The equipment) is much better.”

The Marine unit, based this month at Camp Atterbury south of Indianapolis, will complete its Indiana training Thursday. It will deploy in August aboard a team of Navy vessels led by the USS Iwo Jima, an 800-foot-long helicopter carrier.

Ellie