PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds gather to welcome Marines

thedrifter
05-06-03, 07:11 AM
Hundreds gather to welcome Marines

By Kerry Pohlman
May 4, 2003

It was a blustery Saturday night as family and friends awaited the arrival of the first group of Yuma Marines, but nothing could chill their warm welcome.

The instructors from Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Instructor Squadron-1, a local squadron, which arrived about 10:30 p.m. Saturday.

Before the plane landed, wives, friends and legions of bubbling children gathered in an auditorium decorated with red, white and blue balloons.

The base expected a crowd of about 150, but more showed up for the homecoming.

Emily Pylant and her son, 4-year-old Jacob, were waiting for Hal Pylant to walk through the doors. They had not seen him in three months.

Jacob looked sleepy. The hours of anticipation got to him, his mother said.

"He has been bouncing off the walls all day," she said.

Pylant said she had a big dinner planned for her husband the following night. She is looking forward to "being a family again."

Paula Austin said this was an exciting night for her and her two children.
Looking forward to a long-awaited reunion with her husband, Hal, Emily Pulant (right) and her son Jacob, 4, sit on the steps of a conference room at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma on Saturday. The Marines were set to return at 10:30 p.m. Photo by Charles W

The children handled their father's deployment pretty well, Austin said, but now they're full of expectations.

"They've been asking when daddy's coming," she said.

Austin missed her husband's companionship and his help with the children. Now, the only thing they've got planned is to spend time together, she said.

What will she say to him when he finally sets foot in Yuma again?

"We love you and missed you. You did a great job."

And finally, she'll say, "You're a hero."

---
Kerry Pohlman can be reached at kpohlman@yumasun.com or 539-6872.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
05-06-03, 09:47 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket. And leaving the horrors of war out of the equation, how many Marines served on unaccompnied thirteen month tours on Okinawa, Japan, and other places?

This story moans about a three month deployment, and separation from family.

How long was a Med Cruise, or a Vieques Cruise? And neither was counted as "overseas" time.

I think I can speak for a hell of a lot of people. How different our lives would have been, if our unaccompanied deployments were limited to three months.

I'm glad they're home, they did a FANTASTIC job, but some of the whining (mostly wives and the press) is beginning to wear thin with me.

I'll accept reactions to combat, because each man faces his own hell.

But, "I miss my wife, my children, apple pie and ice cream" just doesn't seem to get my attention. Nor does, "How much I missed him while he was gone."

Combat is a unique experience. Separation is NOT.

I've been there, done that. My experiences, my observations, my reactions are personal and belong to me alone. I/we will NOT discuss them.

However, missing wives, children, births, birthdays, school events, first steps, first words, first tooth, etc. are experiences we can ALL relate to.

It was never newsworthy before. What changed?

Is three months away from home and family any more traumatic than your thirteen months away from home and family.

I may be wrong, but I think much more happens in thirteen months than occur in three months. At least it did for Me!

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines