PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute To John Wayne, The "Duke"!!!

thedrifter
06-11-08, 01:43 PM
John Wayne was born on May.26.1907 in Winterset Iowa as Marion Robert Morrison.His parents were Clyde Morrison a pharmacist and Mary Morrison.The Duke passed away on June. 11. 1979 from a long bout with lung and stomach cancer.

Read more about the Duke:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/

Here is a little Trivia about John Wayne.

Did you know.....

That in 1980 he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom,the highest civilian award,by then President Carter

That he was voted the 4th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Prmiere Magazine.

That he adressed the Republican National Convention on its opening Day in 1968.

http://www.jwayne.com/biography.shtml

John Wayne was not only a patriot and hero on the screen,but also in true live.

Ellie

sparkie
06-11-08, 03:39 PM
What's really amazing,,, such a great actor only needed 1 character

ggyoung
06-11-08, 04:39 PM
:D:banana:Sparkey I have your floppy hanging down.

sparkie
06-11-08, 04:44 PM
You started early today,,,,, Have some respect. This is a John Wayne thread. The only actor I ever liked better was,,,well,,, None.

yellowwing
06-11-08, 04:56 PM
The Duke didn't like girly champagne so he christened his private helicopter with a bottle of tequila! That's True Grit. :D

Zulu 36
06-11-08, 05:05 PM
I believe John Wayne's trust fund still supports the Special Forces Museum at Fort Bragg, NC. Last time I was there (20-years ago), they had quite a John Wayne display, including a lot of his stuff from the movie "The Green Berets."

darkgreen0311
06-13-08, 07:00 PM
I want tell you what i think of John Wayne his views speak for me.:thumbdown

:marine::flag:Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

grunti39
07-30-08, 12:48 PM
It was the summer of 1966 and 3/9 was opcon to 1st MarDiv at An Hoa. My squad was just about to leave the perimeter for a patrol and we were ordered to stay put. It seems an important dignitary was choppering in to "see some troops!" A chopper approaches and starts receiving sniper fire as was SOP in those days. We're all standing around waiting for this dignitary to exit the chopper when all of a sudden this big guy comes through the hatch and jumps into a "Z" trench. There were no incoming rounds but he must have been told that An Hoa did receive incoming routinely. We are all trying to figure out 'who' this big shot was? As he was finally urged out of the trench and started walking towards us, it became apparent that it was none other than John 'F***ing' Wayne (his official name used by every Marine in the Corps) himself! The Marines were all saying, "that can't be John F***ing Wayne, he's not afraid of anything and would not be jumping into a trench! John Wayne greeted us and told us even though he had played in many war movies, this was the first time that he had actually been shot at for real in his life. We were all still amazed that John Wayne would be afraid of anything. He went on to tell us that he was gathering info for a new movie that ultimately became The Green Beret." He gave us a great pep talk but refused an invitation by one of our native American Indians to join us on patrol!

FistFu68
07-30-08, 02:11 PM
:evilgrin: JOHN WAYNE CAME TOO OUR WARD 3-C IN BETHESDA NAVAL HOSPITAL.HE WENT TOO "EVERY BED" ON THAT WARD,HE WAS CHOKED UP;THERE WERE MANY MANY BLOWN UP OR SHOT UP MARINES ON THAT WARD.HE STOPPED AT "EVERY BEDSIDE",AND THE MARINES WHO HAD HANDS STILL ON THEIR BODIES;HE SHOOK THEM.WE HAD EVERY RACE OF MEN ON THAT WARD IT WAS A GREEN RAINBOW.YES SGT.ZULA THAT IS A TIGHT SETUP AT FT.BRAGG.S/F I'M OUT~~~~~~~:evilgrin: :iwo:

gunnyhiles
07-30-08, 07:30 PM
I have many John Wayne "Trophies and images" To say I am a fan is an understatement. I have seen every movie he made, many times over, to include his early westerns.

Now buffs, how many did he die in, no fair looking it up :)

rsharetts
07-30-08, 07:59 PM
To the best of my knowledge he only died in one, The Sands of Iwo Jima. He played the same character he always played, but in this movie his name was Sgt Striker.

Ron Sharetts

ecfree
07-30-08, 08:15 PM
The Duke also died in "The Alamo", played Davey Crocket......don't know of any more.

JimEnglish
07-30-08, 10:01 PM
I still have this thing on my keychain that opens cans. We used to call it a "John Wayne". I don't know if today's Marines still get these things or not, but I do know that they were named that because of a scene in the movie "The Sands of Iwo Jima".

John Wayne was a great American!

FistFu68
07-30-08, 10:07 PM
:evilgrin: THE ONE WHERE HE WAS AN OLDER COWBOY,DIEIN OF A DISEASE;WITH THAT SHOOTOUT IN THE BAR.TRUE GRIT MAYBEE???:confused: :iwo:

Big Jim
07-30-08, 10:45 PM
:evilgrin: THE ONE WHERE HE WAS AN OLDER COWBOY,DIEIN OF A DISEASE;WITH THAT SHOOTOUT IN THE BAR.TRUE GRIT MAYBEE???:confused: :iwo:

NO THATS THE SHOOTIST, BRO....!!!

FistFu68
07-30-08, 11:48 PM
:evilgrin:THAT WAS A GOOD FLIC,HE WENT DOWN LIKE A MAN;WITH HIS BOOTS ON.THANX BIG JIM!!!:beer: :iwo:

DWG
07-31-08, 06:46 AM
Got killed by Bruce Dern in "The Cowboys"! Also died in "The Fighting SeeBees" didn't he?

Deduke
07-31-08, 11:53 AM
Wake of the Red Witch
Fighting SeaBees
Sands of Iwo Jima
The Cowboys
The Shootist
I think there is one more that my CRAFT won't let me pull up right now.

S.F.
Deduke ( get it? De Duke? )

DWG
07-31-08, 12:13 PM
Best scene he ever did was as Rooster Cogburn when, as he put his reins in his mouth, he said to Robert Duvall "Fill your hand, you son of a b1tch!"
:yes::banana::thumbup:

JimEnglish
07-31-08, 09:32 PM
"The Shootist" was his last movie.

As for the can opener thing, lesser services call it a "P38".

sparkie
08-01-08, 08:46 AM
I still have my 'John Wayne" in my tackle box, along with C Rat toilet paper, and a green book of matches. No, I ain't sellin em.....LOL

gunnyhiles
08-02-08, 06:03 PM
I have many John Wayne "Trophies and images" To say I am a fan is an understatement. I have seen every movie he made, many times over, to include his early westerns.

Now buffs, how many did he die in, no fair looking it up :)
John Wayne:
Reap the Wild Wind (1942)
The Fighting Seabees (1944)
Wake of the Red Witch (1949)
The Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The Alamo (1960)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
The Cowboys (1972)
The Shootist (1976)

In "The Deceiver" (1931), Wayne had an uncredited role as a dead body, and in "Central Airport" (1933) he was one of two men seen floundering in the sea at night after their plane had crashed.

In one other film, "The Sea Chase" (1955), it is not made entirely clear whether he dies at the end or not. It is left for the audience to decide whether he survives or goes down with his sinking ship.

Alpha1Devildog
08-02-08, 06:20 PM
"Fill your hands you sons of a b1tch" Probably one of my all time favorite lines. The mold was busted when he checked out, won't be any more like him.

RON 68
08-03-08, 11:59 AM
one of my fav's...."Back to Bataan. i wonder whatever happened to Maximo???

YEP one of the great's.Saddle up!

Ron 68

flyby
08-23-08, 09:51 PM
I never understood the love fest with John Wayne and the military. He was an actor not a war hero. Although he supported the military and he was a good actor he did not join the military during the nation's greatest time of need. (Like many in Hollywood did). I will not say he is a dodger, just someone that should not be idolized. York, Murphy or Dan Daily would be more appropriate.

rsharetts
08-23-08, 11:12 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

In the sixties when a lot of star were protesting like Hanoi Jane, John (so what if he never served) Wayne made a movie about Nam. Yeah, I know it was about the green beanies, but it was Pro-military.

:usmc:OOHRAH:usmc:

Wyoming
08-24-08, 02:15 AM
I never understood the love fest with John Wayne and the military. He was an actor not a war hero. Although he supported the military and he was a good actor he did not join the military during the nation's greatest time of need. (Like many in Hollywood did). I will not say he is a dodger, just someone that should not be idolized. York, Murphy or Dan Daily would be more appropriate.

Looky here, can't tell who you are, so please complete your profile.

... and iffen you were to walk into my VFW, you'd get your ass slammed for saying anything desparaging about Marion Morrison, aka John Wayne.

Just remember - somebody loves you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd5xBDdG9UI - ;)

ggyoung
08-24-08, 10:56 AM
There are a lot of WW2 Vets who did not like John Wayne because he did not join any branch of the services. There were a bunch of Hollywood actors who did join. One other thing just this past week there was a documentary on John Wayne's death. While the filming of The Conqueror in Snow Canyon in southern Utah in I think 1953 or 54 they were in a high level area of atomic fall out from the tests in Nevada. About half the the actors and film personnel ended up with cancer.

RON 68
08-24-08, 01:06 PM
if he had joined in 1941 and got killed.then we would not have had all those movies to enjoy.the fate of what GOD wanted. for Wayne to make movie's Marine's would enjoy.Crazy huh? Ron 68

FistFu68
08-24-08, 03:53 PM
:usmc: I HAVE MET MANY VETERAN'S WHO TALK MORE BAD CHIT ABOUT AMERICA THAN JOHN WAYNE EVER DID.BEING A VETERAN DOES NOT MAKE YOU A CANIDATE FOR THE GOOD GUY HALL OF FAME!!!:usmc::iwo:

Troutzilla
09-22-08, 06:55 PM
NO THATS THE SHOOTIST, BRO....!!!

It was his last movie and he was dying of caancer in the movie as well as real life....The Shootist ,to me,was his best.

Sgt Jim
09-22-08, 08:28 PM
Pulled night duty in my barracks a few times,watched a bunch of John Wayne movies all night long.he,s was the best