PDA

View Full Version : Memories of marines wanted

thedrifter
06-11-08, 07:31 AM
Memories of marines wanted

11.06.2008 By Nathan Crombie

Paraparaumu author Joan Ellis is collecting memories of World War II American servicemen in Wairarapa to include in a sequel to her compilation of tales about US Marines in New Zealand, A String of Pearls.

The book, published last year, is a compilation of letters and stories from New Zealand women and US Marines who were stationed in Wellington and surrounding areas during the war.

"My previous book has had a huge amount of publicity in the US and in this country and I have decided to write a sequel," Mrs Ellis said yesterday.

"My search is to find anyone who may remember those wartime days when the American troops were stationed here.

I understand some were camped in Masterton and made many friends there.

"Others found their way over the Rimutaka hill and spent wonderful happy holidays with friendly New Zealanders," she said.

Mrs Ellis, 83, flew to Washington last year to be guest of honour at the Second Marine Division reunion, where she was presented with a string of pearls in recognition of her work.

She has great memories of marines arriving in Wellington in 1942, she said, and her book was inspired by a 50th anniversary trip to New Zealand by former marines in 1993.

"I was a teenage girl just out of school and in my first job in an office in Petone. Life was a bit dull and suddenly the streets were alive with hundreds of marines, all handsome and looking like film stars. "We didn't smoke, didn't drink or take drugs and had so much fun. They were the best years of our lives."

Mrs Ellis said she attended regular dances in the Hutt and Wellington where she jitterbugged with the young American soldiers posted here for a few months before they were sent to fight the Japanese in South Pacific theatres of war.

The title of the book was drawn from the Glenn Miller song of the same name, A String of Pearls, to which American servicemen danced during their time in New Zealand, she said.

"I am passionate about this subject as I feel that if the stories that are part of our history are not saved now, they will be lost forever.

"Some people who were youngsters at school may have memories of the generosity of the marines as they sampled sweets and other luxury items that were handed out so freely to anyone the men met.

"Others may remember the friendly and generous gratitude the marines showed for the hospitality they received from the local people, many who have remained friends for over 65 years.

"Those men loved this country and the people they met here. Many were teenagers and enjoyed the only youth they knew before leaving to fight in the battles of the Pacific where they became men long before their time," she said.

"Those who have survived those savage battles still lovingly recall their time here in the country they claimed as their own. They named it Heaven, Valhalla, and our second home."

n For more information or to contact Mrs Ellis go online to www.astringofpearls.co.nz

Ellie