PDA

View Full Version : St. Ansgar student wins prestigious military scholarship

thedrifter
06-10-08, 07:40 PM
St. Ansgar student wins prestigious military scholarship
by Warren Haacke, Press-News Reporter

St. Ansgar native Wes Hardy says he became interested in the Marines at a very young age. That original interest, combined with his scholastic and leadership abilities, plus a lot of time and hard work have resulted in a $150,000 Marine ROTC Scholarship for the 2008 St. Ansgar graduate.

"I became interested in the Marines when I was about twelve, not really understanding what they were about at the time," said Hardy. "I was told that they were the best and they have the toughest boot camp. I do have a cousin who joined the Marines at about that time also."

Hardy continued, "I went to a rummage sale during that time and it was one sponsored by a former Marine Recruiter. He had field manuals showing different areas about the Marines. I ended up buying three of them with my own money. I began studying and reading through the interesting parts of these manuals. It gave me a better idea of what the Marines was all about. From that time until about my junior year of high school I wanted to be in the Marine Corp Infantry to eventually become a sniper. Despite my parent's original reluctance toward the idea of me joining the Marines, especially leaning toward infantry, I kept steadily wanting more and more to join. Then in my senior year of high school I went into the recruiters office and asked, basically to appease my parents, what I had to do to get the NROTC scholarship. My recruiter at the time, Staff Sgt. Atherton, asked his boss Gunnery Sgt.Stravers, what I had to do to pursue the scholarship. They gave me the appropriate websites and information on how to begin filling out materials. I had always tried making contact and receiving more information from the Marines when I was younger, but I was not 17 so legally the Marines couldn't send me materials.

Hardy continued, "I began the actual scholarship application process in November after football."

Hardy had to do a massive amount of paperwork and meet certain other standards in order to qualify for the ROTC scholarship. The scholarship is very selective. Only six students of approximately 12,000 applicants in Iowa were chosen as winners.

Hardy had to have a minimum combined ACT score of 45 on the Math and English portions of the test.

He also had to fill out what seemed to be endless array of personal and family information forms. He also had to provide references for evaluation forms. Four letters of recommendation were required, one from an English teacher, one from a math teacher, one from a guidance counselor, and one from someone else of his choosing.

"I chose my football coach, Drew Clevenger, because he has known me since 7th grade," said Hardy.

Hardy also had to list his employers, his work major duties and responsibilities he was assigned and his dates of employment. He also was required to list all of his volunteer work and hours served, which includes working in many areas with youth, the elderly and cancer victims at the Ronald McDonald House.

He additionally was required to list all of his sports involvement and his school and non-school clubs and activities associated with his high school or his community.

Hardy also had to write several essays, both at least 300-500 words.

"You would write essentially a small essay on things like your activities and volunteer work," said Hardy. "They were looking for well-rounded people. As a Navy Captain told me, "We can get plenty of just smart kids in here if we wanted them. We want well rounded people with leadership skills."

The application materials were then sent to the Recruiting Station in Des Moines, where Captain Dooley, the Executive officer, reviewed the application.

"I then had to travel down to Des Moines for a PFT (Physical Fitness Test) and an interview with Captain Dooley. The PFT consisted of a 3 mile run, doing my maximum amount of pull-ups and the maximum number of sit-ups in two minutes. I would say that the PFT was designed to eliminate the people who were basically just smart but not fit, because those results were sent in with the rest of the application. The interview by Capt. Dooley was essentially designed to make sure that certain parts of my application were accurate and to find out more information about me. I am not sure, but I think based on this interview Capt. Dooley was to write a letter describing if I was Marine Officer material. After some more waiting, I was interviewed on the phone by another Marine Corp officer. He too wrote some sort of letter as to my suitability for being a Marine officer and whether I receive the scholarship."

"I found out I had been selected for the scholarship in March," Hardy said. "Then I began to get physicals and eye and ear checks. The Scholarship actually does not award me $150,000 rather it is like an insurance policy. It covers the cost of tuition, book and fees and gives me a monthly stipend while I'm in college. Money left over from the $150,000 is not actually given to me. In order to use the total $150,000 I would have to go to a really high - priced school such as Harvard."

"I will be attending ISU this fall majoring in history," Hardy said. The Marine ROTC will make me an officer if I pass OCS (Officer Candidate School) in between my junior and senior years. I will be highly involved with the Marine ROTC program during my time at Iowa State. I will also try to participate in as many intramural athletics as possible such as football and boxing. I chose ISU because it is the closest school offering Marine ROTC, and I like the campus and atmosphere at ISU. I have been down there the last four years for State FFA contests."

Hardy continued, "Iowa State offers the NROTC program which is a great career choice for me because I can go to college and earn a degree in History while still being able to join the Marine Corp as an officer. On campus for the ROTC I will be required to wear my uniform once or twice a week. I will also do PT (Physical Training) several mornings a week, attend special Military Science classes, do labs dealing with military subjects and whatever else they require me to do. My commitments to the Marines after college are four years of active duty, and four years of inactive reserve duty. I, however, will try to put in at least 20 years in the Marines. I want to make this my career. I have been very adamant about joining the Marines and making a career out of it."

"After at least 20 years with the Marines and since I will major in history, I may choose to teach history or possibly will join another government agency such as perhaps the secret service, FBI, CIA," he said.

"As you can see I really want to be able to serve my country no matter what happens," said Hardy. "I have no specific goals as far as advancement in the Marines. I only would want to do my best and earn everything I receive. If I am an officer I will make sure my men come before myself. I will do what I will do not for glory, but simply because it has to be done to keep America free."

Hardy has grown up on a farm about 4 miles east of Stacyville. He is the son of Fred and Paula Hardy. He also has a sister Susan who is going to UNI next year to major in Elementary Education.

Hardy attended Stacyville Catholic School until he was in sixth grade and then transferred to St. Ansgar Middle School. In high school he was involved in football for four years, track for two years and the trap shoot team for two years. He was also active in plays during high school and was student director for one play. He was also a co-founder of our FAD group, involved in JEL (Just Eliminate Lies) and was involved in FFA. He served as Chapter FFA president his junior and senior years. He won a State Wildlife Management proficiency award in FFA this year that will be advancing on to national competition. He is also a member of the National Honor Society and an Eagle Scout.

"I love to paintball, play football, run, be involved with Alamo Scouts, camp, fish, hunt, play slow pitch softball, target shoot, read books such as Tom Clancy types or any military themed books, explore caves, go on boundary waters trips, backpack and hike," said Hardy.

"None of my immediate family has served in the military, although my grandpa Hardy was a WWII vet in the Army Air Force as a tail gunner," said Hardy. "I just feel the military is my calling and I am excited that I have the opportunity now to serve my country

Ellie