PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drinks

jackson07
06-08-08, 06:40 PM
Didn't want to make this a poll there are too many choices, but...

What energy drink is you favorite?

It seems they can be found in the hand of every drill instructor and one out of ever 3 Marines is drinking one.

Just was thinking about it today, and thought it would be interesting to see.

ecfree
06-08-08, 08:57 PM
"Yeagermeister".......straight up:beer:

Sgt0331
06-08-08, 09:32 PM
Full Throttle (Orig Black Can) is the shizzznit.......

sparkie
06-08-08, 09:43 PM
Enough cafeen will make you trip,,,, I don't do that chit.

Haffner
06-08-08, 09:43 PM
Sparks! Alcohol and energy...upper and downer!

sparkie
06-08-08, 09:45 PM
Coffee shorts out the elect, system. I can't do that. Had elect-heart probs since I was 25.

ggyoung
06-09-08, 12:24 PM
I eat right so I don't wast any money on them.

Sally
06-09-08, 12:39 PM
My favorite has always been Bawls. Hard to find in California for some reason.

jetdoc
06-09-08, 03:34 PM
I eat right so I don't wast any money on them.

For the most part they are junk.

thedrifter
06-09-08, 03:48 PM
Don't Drink them...I have enough energy;)

The young folks like to drink the Red Bull, and Monster..

Ellie

Artemis
06-09-08, 03:48 PM
I will have a full throttle occasionally but I prefer to mix in some ginseng with my food. It is a great natural energy booster. Then of course there is always a good work out to get the blood pumping to.

Old Marine
06-09-08, 03:54 PM
Energy drinks are not good for the body.

Way too much cafeen.

Way too much salt and not good for the arteries.

HurricaneRJ
06-09-08, 04:01 PM
I was A-Duty last week and my shift from from 1800-0600 in the morning. Usually we would get Duty Recovery, but for somereason I couldn't get it, due to CLS certification.
So I downed 8 monsters before PT. I cranked out so many Pull-ups and was just not normal. Heart Rate was beating to fast, and it tore my stomach up. But all the extra energy is no good for anyone.

Brewer0311
06-09-08, 04:20 PM
Duty recovery is a crutch. But is always fun to volunteer for duty on Thurs for that extra libo. Wild Tigers and Boom Booms are the way to go for energy drinks. Too bad I've only seen them in Iraq. Probably pop on a **** test as soon as I get back lol. No telling what they put in these things.

drillinstructor
06-09-08, 04:26 PM
Endorush ---------worked good for me. It has no cafene or sugar and gave me a good boost.

ImAPuke
06-09-08, 06:41 PM
I was hooked on Monster Tall Boys for a while.

SlingerDun
06-09-08, 07:39 PM
Energy Drink: Coffee, lotsa cream and sugar. A dash of nutmeg for character. Not particular about the beans but prefer stumptown:cool:

Sports Drink: Water...if its hard and cloudy (like some of the wells i water at) it makes me ill trying to stay hydrated but traditionally most stables have a Mr. Coffee machine in the day room and although painfully slow a paper filter relaxes the drinking water.

SlingerDun
06-09-08, 08:33 PM
There's this locally concocted beverage "Viso" thats taking P-town by storm and is stacked with all the vitamins and minerals that fast food/pastry feeders miss out on and tastes wonderful like an extravagant Maui vacation package, and expensive.

jrhd97
06-09-08, 10:59 PM
Tried Red Bull, Vault, Monster, and Full Throttle. Even drank Jolt Cola .... a few years ago. None of them are any good. Do weird things and reek havoc on your body.
Plenty of water, sometimes vitamin water, coffee and exercise. Even after a 30 hour run, delivering 24 stores over 1,200 miles I don't need that stuff, as long as I stick to a healthy diet. Power naps are great to.

Matt Brzycki
06-10-08, 09:42 AM
After reading a lot of the scientific literature (studies) on caffeinated energy drinks and caffeine in general, I'm unconvinced that they're beneficial. A number of these studies simulated military and law-enforcement operations (such as running through obstacle courses multiple times over several days with little sleep, pilots flying simulated sorties with limited sleep and so on). Other studies looked at physical performance in lifting weights, stationary cycling and so on. For the most part, the studies have found that caffeine was little or no help in improving muscular strength and endurance. There seems to be one exception and that's in improving "situational awareness" and vigilance.

The thing that troubles me the most is the effects that caffeine can have, especially when taken in high doses. One of the previous responses to this thread mentioned the effect that it had on his heart rate, for example. Do you really wanna take a substance that increases your heart rate prior to something like a workout in which your heart rate will increase further? Not me.

One other comment on vitamin water: A typical bottle costs, what, like a buck and a half or two bucks? For that, you get vitamins and water. You'd save a lot more of your hard-earned money by taking a daily multi-vitamin and washing it down with a glass of water. Do the math and you'll see that this costs less than a dime. Same results at a fraction of the cost.

My two cents.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)