PDA

View Full Version : Washing your service bravo and charlie

shocktroop88
06-07-08, 07:58 PM
I just graduated boot camp and want to start squaring away my alphas but it says to dry clean or hand wash, are there any recommendations as to washing machine setting, dry clean only or just the good old fashion soap and bucket method.

yellowwing
06-07-08, 08:08 PM
Dry clean your alphas. It makes it more squared away. Plus if you try to wash them they will be hell trying to iron them.

Quinbo
06-07-08, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure if creighton shirts are issued now or still the same broke dick shirts. The paper shirts are cotten and can be machine washed but if you have chevrons sewed on even they will crinkle and look like hell if you machine wash. You're alphas are made of a wool blend and will shrink wrinkle go to hell if you wash them in a machine..... regardless of what setting you use. Spend the 2 bucks and take them to the dry cleaner. Just as many civilian barbers know what a high reg is most dry cleaners know what military creases are.

SlingerDun
06-07-08, 11:13 PM
...it says to dry clean or hand wash, are there any recommendations as to washing machine settingDoood, what don't you understand about dry clean or handwash?http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Anyway, i own plenty of wool and blended active outdoor garments from quality makers like Filson and Pendleton woolen mills and handwashing in my opinion is soaking in cold water with a small dose of mild low sudsing detergent. Don't let em sit there and stew, gently agitate and rinse by hand (lots of soap = suds = too much rinsing) no scrubbing or twisting and ringing, lay out flat on towels away from direct sunlight for drying. A clothes dryer will not only shrink but may turn them into matted felt.

A few bucks for dry cleaning sounds like a pretty good deal:cool:

I just graduated boot camp Good Job Marine!

--->Dave

iamcloudlander
08-06-08, 12:36 AM
this has absolutely nothing to do with what you wish to know but it is funny (sort of ) When I came home from Vietnam I got married to a real ding a ling. One day she decided to wash my utilities which she did--then she decided to wash my tropicals (we were issued greens,trops,and khaki's in those days) which she did, I came home and she was crying when asked what was wrong she said she had made a boo boo. The trops had shrunk and were about the size of a small small boy. I was furious but could only laugh. So my advice would be to send everything to the cleaners as the cost is only slightly higher than a laundermat and lots nicer job.

Petz
08-06-08, 12:58 AM
if you are going to "hand wash" your uniforms... you should only use it for spot cleaning when dry cleaning won't get it back in time.... say you need to clean your jacket in one little spot, use 'woolite' to "hand wash" them... don't submerge the jacket just take a bowl with woolite and gently rub it in and blot the stuff out... it'll get clean and you crisis is averted.... but you should always have your uniforms drycleaned if time is not a factor.

wear it twice clean it once. good rule of thumb for the jackets.

CplKJSpevak
08-06-08, 03:12 AM
Devil dog, become well aquaited with Dry cleaners for all of you service and dress uniforms and put your energy into your cammies!

Petz
08-06-08, 08:23 AM
when did you get out Cpl? you really don't have to put ANY energy into the new cammies.

Brewer0311
08-06-08, 01:22 PM
when did you get out Cpl? you really don't have to put ANY energy into the new cammies.

Says 96' by his tag. The new cammies were mandatory in... what?... 04 or so? He probably hasn't ever had to deal with the cammies with permanent creases.

I personally starch my garrison cammies and covers though. Makes them look more crisp. Then I've got my other cammies for the field.

Petz
08-06-08, 01:37 PM
at least you make note of the field reasons for no starch... though I'd probably not be happy if I saw starch on an "issued pair"... but that's another debate.

usmchauer
08-06-08, 01:49 PM
Original post was a few months ago, but to anybody who stumbles onto this this thread it is well worth spending the few bucks at the dry cleaners and let them do it correctly.

Brewer0311
08-06-08, 02:57 PM
at least you make note of the field reasons for no starch... though I'd probably not be happy if I saw starch on an "issued pair"... but that's another debate.

Well, as my SDI put it, "We don't use starch do we, recruits?"

Us, "No, sir"

Him, "Thats right. We use Magic Sizing"

And it's not excessive or anything like that. Mainly for my collars and sleeves when rolled. I don't ever put it on the creases.

jerryk
08-06-08, 05:05 PM
dont they teach all that at boot camp ? what do the d.i.s do now haha

Petz
08-07-08, 12:37 AM
they spend time on REAL training...

CplKJSpevak
08-08-08, 08:09 AM
Says 96' by his tag. The new cammies were mandatory in... what?... 04 or so? He probably hasn't ever had to deal with the cammies with permanent creases.

I personally starch my garrison cammies and covers though. Makes them look more crisp. Then I've got my other cammies for the field.

No starch? Permanent Creases? Are you Marines serious or messing with me? What about boots, Polish and spit shine still? or not.:usmc: I'm sure the Arab's don't care either way when my Brothers are shooting them in the face:flag: Keep up the Outstanding Job, and Semper Fi Marines:thumbup:

Brewer0311
08-08-08, 12:14 PM
No starch? Permanent Creases? Are you Marines serious or messing with me? What about boots, Polish and spit shine still? or not.:usmc: I'm sure the Arab's don't care either way when my Brothers are shooting them in the face Keep up the Outstanding Job, and Semper Fi Marines:thumbup:

Neg. No spit shining these boots. http://armynavyairforcemarine.com/usmc/4150altama.gif

CplKJSpevak
08-08-08, 05:17 PM
Good to go Cpl, Thanks for the info.....I gotta get me a pair of these, Hey can you Marines believe I still have my leather boots from Parris Island 1992...and they are spit shined and look AWESOME...My son wears them to his Young Marine Drills.

DOC WEB
08-08-08, 06:43 PM
the SSGT is talkin about starch on field cammies......the truth is, i would be surprised if shocktroop88 knew why you dont wanna have any kind of starch on your field cammies.

doc.

Brewer0311
08-08-08, 07:22 PM
the SSGT is talkin about starch on field cammies......the truth is, i would be surprised if shocktroop88 knew why you dont wanna have any kind of starch on your field cammies.

doc.

**** Doc he probably hasn't even qualed with his E-tool yet.

:marine:

CplKJSpevak
08-08-08, 07:25 PM

doc.

Why not?

SSgt Ramsey
04-28-09, 09:05 AM
Starch in cammies makes them "glow" to NVG's....not a good thing.

390 Mach I
04-28-09, 04:51 PM
Starch in cammies makes them "glow" to NVG's....not a good thing.

Not to mention all the blue sticky sh*t that sticks to ya and runs down yer forehead...

echo3oscar1833
04-28-09, 07:52 PM
Im going to touch back on the topic of washing service uniforms, and dress uniforms. You can wash them in a Machine if you know what you are doing, and are damned good with a Iron. I always used cold water and very mild detergent. Then I pressed them with an iron on medium steam, so as not to give the shine look on the uniforms. As far as cammies, I used to wash my favorite pair every weekend, take them outta the dryer, while still hot, put about a whole spray bottle of 50 %water, and 50% Stay Flow on them. Then I would take them out side of the barraks, and hang them in the sun. I would then let the starch dry, and press them out with high steam. Always got a squared away pair of cammies. As far as boots, I just buffed shined them. The only time I had a spit shined pair was in Boot Camp.:D