PDA

View Full Version : War Story: Lt Col John Renouard

thedrifter
06-07-08, 12:16 PM
War Story: Lt Col John Renouard
by Mike Warner - Jun. 6, 2008 02:39 PM
12 News

After serving in the Gulf war as a commander of a shore party platoon, Lt Col John Renouard re-enlisted in the Marine Reserves and went on to become a high school history teacher. As a reservist, John knew he could be called into action at any moment. "Being in the reserves you always have to have that mindset of, 'hey, you can go tomorrow,'" recalls John. So when a Marine division from Arizona was called up in 2003 to fight in the "War on Terror", Renouard was called upon to lead the local support team. "Basically, I was to help with the running of the reserve center," says John, "and also with all the family issues."

Renouard was able to get his masters degree from ASU during that time, but in 2006 he was again called into duty. This time, Renouard was asked to head up a Military Assistance Transition Team... or "MIT" Team. "The mission of the MIT team is to train the Iraqis in order so they can become more self sufficient, and be able to carry the fight to the enemy," says John. The team of 10 to 12 specialized Marines would train Iraqi soldiers in everything from shooting to standing at attention. The job gave John an extra, unexpected advantage. "Out of all the training I ever recieved, it wasn't the military training that helped me the most," remembers John. "It was being a teacher. Because, what are you doing?... you're teaching the Iraqis. You're living with the Iraqis, you're eating with them, you're fighting with them... you become part of them. And that was the key to being a successful trainer for the Iraqis. You build those relationships, and get to know the people."

Friendship and trust developed between the two cultures, allowing the Iraqis to learn and thrive like they hadn't before. "When we first got there, they had a difficult time creating an operation plan, says John. "By the time we left, they were able to do the whole thing, and with very little support." A sign, he says, that Iraqis are starting to take back their war torn country. "The mission over there is important, and we are making progress."

Ellie