PDA

View Full Version : Fleets In

SlingerDun
06-07-08, 03:22 AM
Rose Festival week in Portland and the Navy has steamed up the Columbia and turned south up the Willamette with wicked little destroyers, cruiser and frigate. But you can't get near em' Fenced off, checkpoint entry's with armed men wearing woodland cammo (Pacific NW pattern), buffer zone no sail buoys in the river, Jarheads, Swabbies and Doggies struttin around in Shore Patrol pairs. Not like in the old days when a civilian could stumble up the brow and ask the guy checking ID's... 'Where's the head pard?:marine:

The Canucks are also represented with coastal patrol vessels that are more accessible to the public and painted something between grey and avocado green? But its the USCG that caught my eye. They're on constant patrol with what look like modified custom Alumaweld fishing boats.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Enclosed wheelhouse, bulbous wrap around rubber bumpers, twin outboards and M60's mounted fore and aft. If only i could pirate one of them bad boys while the springer Chinook are runnin and the weekend anglers surly.

The Army and Navy have pimped recruiting pop-out semi truck and trailers with built in rides, huge TV's and big top tents.

On the far south end, away from most of the chaos The Marine Corps has layed out it's shingle with a little red tent and Hummer, hehehe:flag:

gutinstinct
06-07-08, 06:04 AM
Fleet week recently ended here in NYC. It reminded me of the PI.

jrhd97
06-07-08, 09:51 AM
It's funny how the Army and Navy have to spend all that money and put out all that effort to attract recruits.
The Marines put out one tent and a small shingle. Coupled with the name alone people come looking. The others can't get enough recruits while the Marines have so many that boot camp is full and Poole's are getting there ship date moved.

AL49BGN
06-07-08, 10:09 AM
Yeah,Fleet week did recently end in NYC.I felt like I was back at Great Lakes Naval Station with all these Squids walking around.I hoped all those squids and fellow Marines enjoyed it.

Whitey
06-07-08, 12:20 PM
2 years ago I went to Portland for the Rose Festival, they let people take a tour of the ships after going the security. Are they still doing tours or are the vessels closed off?

*snort* get back to the pool