PDA

View Full Version : Marines team up with business to produce bigger, better air show

thedrifter
05-05-03, 08:48 AM
Article ran : 05/05/2003
Marines team up with business to produce bigger, better air show
By PENNY ROUND
FREEDOM ENC

HAVELOCK — There was a time not so very long ago when air shows at Cherry Point were simply recruiting events, not the extravaganzas that attract 100,000 people over the course of a weekend.

“I was the public affairs officer at Cherry Point from 1982 to ‘88, and part of my job was to produce the air show,” said retired Maj. Dennis Brooks, who now lives in River Bend. “The first show I did, there were no civilian acts. We had military planes doing demonstrations, and lots of static displays, but no civilian involvement whatsoever.”

The shows were fairly simple — often impromptu — events. Not the two-day and Friday night spectacle that ended at Cherry Point Air Station Sunday. Again a second day crowd arrived at the air station Sunday under overcast skies to see the Golden Knights, Blue Angels and other acts.

Things were much simpler years ago but not less popular.

“One time we had two air shows in a month,” Brooks recalled.

“We had the Blue Angels, then the Red Arrows — a British team — came through with 10 planes. They wanted a place to layover for a night, and decided to put on a show as a thank you. We didn’t even have time to publicize it,” he said.

Eventually, the idea came up to team with business to produce a bigger, better show.

“The powers that be were amenable to it when we approached them,” Brooks said, and the rest is the proverbial stuff of history.

The first commercial show featured Bob Hoover, a test pilot who had flown with the penultimate test pilot Chuck Yeager.

“Bob Hoover is a bonafide aviation hero. He flew two planes for us,” Brooks said.

Along with the acts, the base added concessions and held the first two-day show.

“The advantage of a two-day show is that you have a chance to break even if you get rained out the first day,” Brooks said. “That was the first year we made money.”

Until commercial acts were added to the show, there was no compelling reason to worry about “making money,” because there was little expense involved.

“When you bring in an act, it can be $10,000,” Brooks said. And the show not comprises numerous acts, from a replica of the Wright brothers first plane to sail planes, World War II bombers, aerobatic biplanes and the latest Stealth bombers.

“Some of the fuel these planes use, we have to truck in,” Brooks said.

“When I started, we were getting 20,000 people for a one-day show. The infusion of civilian acts brought a lot more interest, and we started getting 100,000 for a two-day show,” Brooks said. “I think it shows how well the military and the community work together.”

While earlier air shows could be held on the spur of the moment, the current spectaculars take a good six months of hard work. “That’s why they only hold them every two years,” Brooks said.

“The reason they do air shows today is the same reason we did them then — public relations. It’s a way for us at Cherry Point to say thank you to the community for your support 365 days a year,” he said.

Once they began inviting the public to attend the shows, Brooks and his staff saw an opportunity to share the excitement with a segment of the population that otherwise might have missed it.

“We invited the Special Olympics folks and all the assisted living facilities to a VIP performance during the Friday rehearsal. We were happy we were able to do that for a very special segment of the community,” Brooks said. “Of all the stuff I did in 20 years in the Marine Corps, that’s the one I’m the most proud of.”

What did he like best about this year’s show?

“I’m here with a couple who’ve never been to an air show. It’s a real thrill to bring someone to their first show,” Brooks said.

“It’s every bit and more than what I expected,” enthused first-timer Carolyn Albury. She and husband George are neighbors and good friends of Dennis and Carol Brooks.

“I always enjoy meeting the Marines,” Brooks added. “I left the Corps in ‘88, but the Corps never left me.”

Sempers,

Roger