PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine, .30 cal.

crate78
06-05-08, 11:46 AM
In about ten days, a cousin of mine is auctioning a bunch of her late husband's stuff. Included on the auction bill is an M1 Carbine like I've always wanted. I didn't even know he owned it.

I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but assuming it's in average, serviceable condition, do any of ya'll have an opinion of what a fair price range would be?

Thanks in advance.

crate

Zulu 36
06-05-08, 11:57 AM
It depends on the manufacturer, but $100 wouldn't be far off the mark if it was in fair condition.

HN Mullins
06-05-08, 12:00 PM
It would depend on the condition but have seen them around at local gun shows between $400 to $600. That is what the market is around here in East Texas, good luck with the bidding, they sure are a fine weapon.:thumbup:

Doc Mullins

Zulu 36
06-05-08, 12:35 PM
Here is a list of the M-1 carbine manufacturers during WWII. As a general rule, again depending on condition, those guns made in the smaller numbers would be more valuable. I own an IBM made M-1 carbine that has a replacement stock made in West Germany for their border police.
<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="90%"> <caption align="top">

M1 Carbine Production</caption> <tbody><tr><td>
</td><td align="left">Inland Manufacturing Division, G.M.C...... </td> <td align="right">2,632,097</td><td align="right">43.0%</td> </tr><tr><td>
</td><td align="left">Winchester Repeating Arms Co................ </td> <td align="right">828,059</td><td align="right">13.5%</td> </tr> <tr><td>
</td><td align="left">Underwood-Elliot-Fisher Co.................. </td> <td align="right">545,616</td><td align="right">8.9%</td> </tr> <tr><td><align=right> *</align=right></td><td align="left">Saginaw Steering Gear Div., G.M.C........... </td> <td align="right">517,212</td><td align="right">8.5%</td> </tr> <tr><td><align=right>**</align=right></td><td align="left">National Postal Meter Co.................... </td> <td align="right">413,017</td><td align="right">6.8%</td> </tr> <tr><td><align=right>***</align=right></td><td align="left">Quality Hardware & Machine Co............... </td> <td align="right">359,666</td><td align="right">5.9%</td> </tr> <tr><td>
</td><td align="left">International Business Machines Corp (IBM).. </td> <td align="right">346,500</td><td align="right">5.7%</td> </tr> <tr><td>
</td><td align="left">Standard Products Co........................ </td> <td align="right">247,160</td><td align="right">4.0%</td> </tr> <tr><td>
</td><td align="left">Rock-Ola Co................................. </td> <td align="right">228,500</td><td align="right">3.7%</td> </tr> <tr><td>
</td><td>
</td><td align="right">---------</td><td>
</td> </tr> <tr><td>
</td><td>Total: </td><td align="right">6,221,220</td><td>
</td></tr> </tbody> </table> * Note that Saginaw had two plants in operation, one in Saginaw, MI and one in Grand Rapids, MI. The Grand Rapids facility assumed a contract that had been originally awarded to Irwin-Pedersen Arms Co....I-P had assembled only 3,542 guns at the time, none of which were accepted by the government.
**Note that a few early NPM receivers are marked "Rochester", for the Rochester Defence Corp. A very few late receivers are marked "CCC", for Commecial Controls Corp.
***Note that some Quality Hardware carbines were assembled using receivers made by Union Switch & Signal Co, hence the "UN-QUALITY" marked carbines. These are highly prized by some carbine aficionados.

zx6rdr
06-05-08, 12:37 PM
check out the CMP... Civilian Marksmanship program web site...

Phantom Winger
06-05-08, 12:51 PM
www.gunbroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com)

www.auctionarms.com (http://www.auctionarms.com)

HN Mullins
06-05-08, 12:58 PM
If you know someone that trades in rifles they should have a "Shooters Bible" this is like a Kelly Blue Book for firearms, I would ask them to let you look it up that will be a more accurate estimate.

Doc Mullins

crate78
06-05-08, 08:28 PM
I originally posted this from my office at work this morning. Now that I'm home, I got out my Bluebook.

My Bluebook shows all the way from Underwood and Saginaw in 60% condition at $275 to National Postal Meter and IBM at 100% for $950. Quite a range. I'll have to go see what shape it's in. Most would probably be in the 60-80% area.

crate

kentmitchell
06-06-08, 02:51 PM
There are bunches of them from Chosin Res. to Hamhung. They froze up and Marines tossed them and found an old reliable M1 to replace them. The Corps got rid of them because of the Chosin experience.

sparkie
06-06-08, 05:34 PM
But still, I love old americana,,,,, I'd bid $800.00 to not pass it up. That's just me.

SgtThrasher
06-06-08, 07:24 PM
I bought a beautiful M1 Garand from the CMP in 2001 for
~~$600 and their weapons come out of Anniston army
depot and they aren't piece mealed together and come in
various condition.The stocks may have gouges and dents,
but overall they are very good condition,The carbines should be similarly priced.I hope you get a good one!
:evilgrin:

Jim Oliver
06-06-08, 08:55 PM
They usually go from $400.00 to about $1100.00 depending on the shape and manufacturer.

Average is around $700.00.

It is well worth the money. The M-1 carbine is my next purchase. I just bought an M-1 garrand.

Love those oldies.

Whitey
06-07-08, 12:56 PM
I think my brother got his for 600 and it was worth it. too bad technology won't allow us to maintain that as the chosen service rifle:-/

SgtThrasher
06-07-08, 01:51 PM
There are bunches of them from Chosin Res. to Hamhung. They froze up and Marines tossed them and found an old reliable M1 to replace them. The Corps got rid of them because of the Chosin experience.

Yes,and the M16 was a piece of work also and jammed if
you sneezed on it.The MI Garand could be buried or
submerged under water and still function well.3006 was
the perfect caliber out to 600 yards.

Zulu 36
06-07-08, 02:21 PM
Yes,and the M16 was a piece of work also and jammed if
you sneezed on it.The MI Garand could be buried or
submerged under water and still function well.3006 was
the perfect caliber out to 600 yards.

I did enjoy shooting M-1 Garands. The M-14 was my favorite, but M-1s are a close second. I did boot camp with the M-14, but shot competitively in the Air Guard using the M-1, then the M-14 (when the Army Guard forced us to change).

The .30 cal carbine is a nice plinker, but ballistically it is quite poor, especially as compared to the 7.62mm or 30.06. I find the M-1 carbine good to teach kids how to shoot a rifle since it is small, light, and doesn't blast their shoulders off, but it is more of a "real" rifle than a .22. A good intermediate rifle on the way up to 7.62mm or bigger. I've got a couple of carbine wooden stocks with different lengths of pull for my kids to use (and me).

Whitey
06-07-08, 02:44 PM
whoops. disregard what i said. i was thinking this was about the m1 garand for some reason