PDA

View Full Version : Golf tourney for wounded Marines tees off

thedrifter
06-05-08, 07:21 AM
Golf tourney for wounded Marines tees off
The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Jun 5, 2008 7:15:24 EDT

WILMINGTON, N.C. — Camp Lejeune is holding its Fifth Annual Marine Corps Celebrity Classic to benefit wounded Marines.

Golfers will tee off at 9 a.m. Thursday at both the Paradise Point Golf Course at Camp Lejeune and off base at the Jacksonville Country Club. Proceeds from the golf tournament will go to three different charities serving the U.S. military.

More than 50 celebrities are scheduled to attend. Jacksonville native Tyrone Willingham, head football coach at the University of Washington, is scheduled to play. He will be joined by former Super Bowl champion quarterback Jim McMahon and actor John Ashton from the cast of “Gone Baby Gone.”

Ellie

Jim McMahon and John Aston both came in to Spanky's Bar where I work late last night...
http://www.spankys-sports-bar.com/

No cameras around, so we will be prepared since they said they will be back...

Jim is a good friend of Spanky's....;)

thedrifter
06-05-08, 07:25 AM
Troops, celebs hit the links
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Annual Marine Corps tourney opens today at Lejeune
June 5, 2008 - 12:26AM
MOLLY DEWITT
THE DAILY NEWS

by molly dewitt

daily news staff

The most important rule of the day was there weren't many rules.

Early-arriving celebrities participating in the fifth annual Marine Corps Celebrity Classic golf tournament were given the chance to play a casual round of golf with active-duty Marines during a troop scramble Wednesday at Camp Lejeune's Paradise Point Golf Course.

A siren signified the noon start as 12 teams consisting of several Marines and at least one celebrity enjoyed a day on the links.

Cpl. Justin Goodman appreciated having half-a-day off to play golf with some celebrities and to "have a little fun," he said.

"To be around celebrities is amazing. It's not very often you get to play golf with a celebrity or do anything with a celebrity," Goodman said.

And the celebrities look forward to the chance to be with the troops as well.

"I've been here every year - wouldn't miss it," said John Ashton, whose most recent role was that of Detective Nick Poole in the 2007 film, "Gone Baby Gone," but who is probably best known for his role as Sgt. John Taggart in the "Beverly Hills Cop" films.

The Celebrity Classic will include two days of play with sponsors today and Friday at Paradise Point and the Jacksonville Country Club before finishing with a weekend celebrity tournament at Paradise Point.

But Wednesday belonged to the troops.

"This event we're actually playing with the guys ... this is great to get to know the guys," Ashton said.

Jim McMahon, who quarterbacked the Chicago Bears to the 1985 NFL championship and was elected to the College Football Hall of fame in 1998, is also a veteran of the event.

"I enjoy being around these guys ... I know that without these people we wouldn't be able to have our everyday lives," McMahon said.

Having a few cocktails, loosening up and having fun on the golf course with the Marines were McMahon's main purpose for participating in the scramble, he said.

The celebrities weren't the only ones making return appearances to the tournament. Justin Millsap, who has helped out as a volunteer in previous Celebrity Classics, is getting to play in this year's event.

"I've volunteered out here the last couple years as a caddie, so this is the first time I've actually been able to play golf with (the celebrities) so it's a good experience," Millsap said.

Since the scramble is one of the first events of the tournament, it helps set the tone for the entire experience.

"It's just the fact that it's a great event to support our troops and support the cause," Ashton said. "I don't care what your political views are ... I support the troops."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8457, or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-06-08, 06:40 AM
Wounded warriors play a round
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 6, 2008 - 12:02AM
MOLLY DEWITT
DAILY NEWS STAFF

America's wounded warriors were the celebrities Thursday.

The fifth annual Marine Corps Celebrity Classic continued with amateur-celebrity play at the Paradise Point Golf Course aboard Camp Lejeune and at the Jacksonville Country Club. Wounded warriors from across the country were given the chance to play a round of golf with celebrities and local sponsors.

"To be here with the real Americans who have given their blood and a lot of their body parts for us to be free is a great honor," said John Schmitt, starting center on the New York Jets' memorable 1969 Super Bowl champions.

Rick Serrate, a former member of the rock bands Foreigner and White Snake, said he takes every chance he can get to show his appreciation to Marines - from taking part in the golf tournament to stopping them in airports.

"The Marines - every airport I see them in I stop and tell them we need them," he said. "They need to know that every one of them could be my son or my daughter. I love every one of them."

The tournament not only allowed participants to play a round of golf, it also gave some wounded warriors the chance to get out of the hospital for a few days.

Christopher Burrell, an Army sergeant who lost one of his legs, said he was enjoying his time away from the hospital. Despite adjustments he's had to make to his golf game because of his disability, Burrell says he still loves the game.

Several celebrities welcomed the opportunity to take on a coaching role and offer golf advice to less-experienced players. Schmitt said he enjoyed helping teammate Derrick Wallace, a wounded warrior from Disabled Sports USA, with his game.

"John, he's a great guy. He's helping me out, giving me pointers," Wallace said. "Since I've been out here my swing has improved dramatically."

Cpl. Ryan Harper, a wounded warrior from Camp Lejeune, appreciated the attitude of those participating.

"It's refreshing really. It's a day outside, it gets you around people who show their respect and their thanks," Harper said.

One of the sponsors showing their appreciation to the troops was Jones-Onslow Electric Membership Corp.

"That's what we're about - community," said Darryl Baysden, playing with the Jones-Onslow team. "The wounded warriors, that's really a great cause there. Looking out for them, I believe in that."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8457, or mdewitt@freedomenc.com. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-07-08, 06:09 AM
Celebrities offer sports clinics to area residents
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 6, 2008 - 11:13PM
AMANDA HICKEY AND MOLLY DEWITT
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Despite the 105-heat index, area residents made it outside Friday to learn about their favorite sports from the pros.

This year's celebrity sports clinics focused on skateboarding, tennis, golf and roller hockey for area children and teens.

Former world champion skateboarder and snowboarder Bert LaMar met area skaters at the Jacksonville Recreation Skate Park for a little fun.

"Even though I don't skate much anymore, I said I would to support the cause," LaMar said while strapping on his kneepads. "It's great to help out the kids. Last year, there were a lot of kids out here with parents who were deployed."

This year was LaMar's fourth participating in the event.

"I love playing golf, and to combine that with a charity event like this is a great opportunity. It's really special to bring (my son) Zachary with me too," he said.

Nearly 10 children had arrived by the time LaMar was padded up and ready to go.

While LaMar just planned to skate with kids and let them compete for small prizes, Joseph Hale, 11, hoped to learn a few tricks like the kick flip, grind and pop-shove-it.

Joseph Mackrell, 13, came to the clinic to meet LaMar at one of his daily hangouts. He was excited to meet him.

"He's a retired pro," Mackrell said.

Several golf and tennis celebrities braved the heat at the Jacksonville County Club for their respective clinics.

Buddy Shelton, PGA golfer and trick shot artist, and Sean "The Beast" Fister, three-time World Long Drive Champion, were on hand to show the 20 or so people who turned out to the golf clinic a few things.

Although the clinic was cut short because of the high temperatures, the duo passed on some valuable tips and knowledge of the game. Shelton discussed fundamentals and likened golf to life.

He noted if someone misses a shot in golf they have to move on and get over it, just like in life.

Janis Gourley, a self-professed widow to her husband's golf game, came to the clinic in hopes of meeting Shelton and to show her "thankfulness to the celebrities who came out to support the troops."

Down at the tennis courts, Sherwood Stewart, 1988 Wimbledon mixed doubles champion, and Cliff Richey, 1970 Davis Cup team MVP, played through the heat and hit balls back and forth with attendees.

"If we can help out people who love tennis in this area, we're glad to do it," Richey said.

The Pielle family, who take tennis lessons together on a weekly basis, were three of the 10 participants at the tennis clinic.

Kiana Pielle, 9, was excited to "play with pros" and "learn a lot more," she said.

The clinics began in 2003 - the inaugural year of the tournament - and have continued every year.

"It's just another way to get the celebs out into the community and interacting with the community," said Rosie Jones, project manager for the Marine Corps Celebrity Classic.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow county reporter Amanda Hickey at ahickey@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8463. Contact Onslow County government reporter Molly DeWitt at mdewitt@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8457.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-07-08, 06:10 AM
Celebrity wives feel firepower
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 6, 2008 - 11:54PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH
DAILY NEWS STAFF

For many of the wives, it was a once in a lifetime experience - especially since the instructions included lying on the floor under a machine gun.

Camp Lejeune Marines extended a special invitation to the wives of the celebrities participating in the Fifth Annual Marine Corps Celebrity Classic Golf Tournament this year. They had the opportunity to visit the base's Indoor Simulated Marksmanship Training facility and see what it felt like to shoot an M16, MK-19, 240-G and M2 50-caliber machine gun.

The women used the weapons to shoot at an array of targets - from tanks to helicopters to computer-simulated images.

Olga Flynn, wife of former Cincinnati Reds second baseman Doug Flynn, and Tannis Edwards, wife of former National Hockey League player Don Edwards, gave the MK-19, a 40mm grenade launcher, a go. The simulator is a very close approximation to the real thing.

"I have never shot a gun before," Edwards said. "It's a lot harder than I thought - they're so heavy and it really takes a lot of strength, but it's great."

The other ladies watched and cheered her on as she blew up several tanks presented on the screen.

Edwards accidentally shot and killed an innocent with his hands held high.

"I saw his mask covering his face first and shot, then I noticed his hands. Hey, if he's got a mask, he's goin' down," she said.

Cpl. Shawn Seguin, ISMT chief instructor, said the facility is used often, but he was pretty busy running from computer to computer and gun to gun to keep up with the special visitors.

"Normally there are a couple more (instructors) with me, but today I ended up doing all the work, but it's fine, they're enjoying it," he said.

Gail Goetz, wife of Professional Golf Association champion Doug Goetz, sporting a pink U.S. Army T-shirt, said her son has been in the Army for more than 18 years. She said she has visited many military bases, but this was her first trip to Camp Lejeune.

"I have shot guns before, and I knew the weapons would require strength I don't have, but this technology really shows us how difficult the training is through the demonstrations we've had, and even though this is fun for us, we know this is real ... ," she said. "They are all fighting the same fight, and it's easy to be proud of all of them."

Contact Topsail area reporter Suzanne Ulbrich at sulbrich@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8466.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-07-08, 11:34 AM
Last Night at Spanky's...with Jim Mac...

Yes I was working...but did take a fast time out to get a px with him...

http://fontman.smugmug.com/photos/308611253_zfSVW-M-1.jpg

To view all pix's last night....Yes the is Spanky dancing on the bar...;)
http://fontman.smugmug.com/gallery/5109062_BH7XT#P-1-20

Ellie

thedrifter
06-08-08, 06:31 AM
Family night gives locals the chance to mingle with celebs
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 8, 2008 - 12:50AM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Hundreds gathered at Camp Lejeune's W.P.T. Hill Field on Saturday for a night of music, food, fireworks and celebrities.

Andrea Steiner and her sons, Jacob, 3, and Nathaniel, 5, were among them.

"(We came) to get out and do something fun for the kids," Steiner said, sitting on a blanket as she put ketchup on her sons' hotdogs. "It's pretty awesome that there is lots of stuff to do outside the USO for the families to get together."

Steiner's husband is one of the Marines the celebrities with the Marine Corps Celebrity Classic are in town to support - he is currently deployed to Iraq.

At Family Night with the Stars, the public had a chance to meet the celebrities participating in the golf tournament and enjoy a breezy summer night.

"(The point of family fun night is) to offer to the public the opportunity to get autographs from the celebrities and to be involved in the MCCC," program manager Rosie Jones said, explaining that many are not interested in golf but still want to come out and meet the stars.

The celebrities, however, came out to see their heroes - the troops.

"I can't imagine being that young ... and protecting America," former NBA All-Star Forward Truck Robinson said.

It's their service, he said, that has enabled him and his children to not have to enlist.

"They're my heroes," Robinson said.

The wounded warriors were the most impressive part, he said.

"I've never heard one in five years complain about their injuries," he said.

Golf trick shot artist Buddy Shelton, like Robinson, said he participated in the tournament to support the Marines who are "keeping our country free," he said.

"We're here to support the Marines and the things they do," he said.

Through the tournament, Shelton hoped to support the wounded warriors "so they can live a decent life, because they gave us a decent life."

Alex Parish's husband recently received orders to Camp Lejeune and the family night was her first taste of the MCCC other than media coverage.

"I think it's great that they're supporting the community and letting the families have a night out," she said. "I'm going to work on volunteering or participating next year."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at ahickey@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8463. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-08-08, 06:32 AM
Kids get hockey tips from pros
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
June 8, 2008 - 12:50AM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Nicholas Kohlmann, 11, hit the hockey rink Saturday afternoon to see some friends and get some tips from the pros.

"I knew there was going to be a pro out here or two and it's just fun, hot though," he said, after getting pointers from former professional hockey players Darren Veitch and Greg Stefan.

Kohlmann was one of about 10 young hockey buffs that braved the heat to see Veitch and Stefan in the first-ever Marine Corps Celebrity Classic celebrity hockey clinic.

The clinic came to be when Veitch heard there was a roller hockey rink aboard Marine Corps Air Station New River.

"I said 'why not do it?' It's a great facility, and judging by today's turnout there's quite a few hockey players here," he said.

Veitch enlisted the help of his good friend Steffen for the clinic.

The kids, Stefan said, were the best part of the clinic.

"I have a lot of admiration for young children and kids. ... As athletes, ex-athletes, we have a responsibility to teach them," he said.

Alex Mutuc, 12, has admiration for the players, which is why he donned his rollerblades, pads and jersey to hit the rink.

"It was just cool meeting the pros. I'm a big fan of hockey and one of these guys played with one of my favorite players," he said.

Stefan, who now coaches, has participated in four MCCC tournaments.

"I love it because I have a lot of respect for the Marines, soldiers, Air Force and (every one). I have a lot of respect for the young men and women," he said.

Service members have given their lives and bodies for their country, Stefan said.

"If we can help them out in any way to make sure their life is a little bit easier, we should, for the sacrifices they gave for us," he said.

Veitch has participated in the MCCC for five years.

"It's always nice for former athletes to give back to the community," he said, adding that the tournament is a good fit for the area.

Stefan hopes that this clinic will not be the last MCCC hosts for roller hockey.

"It's pretty tough out here in the heat, but the kids seem to be enjoying themselves," he said.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at ahickey@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8463. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie