PDA

View Full Version : Why Does U.s. Put Its Mothers Into Combat?

Roberto T. Cast
05-04-03, 04:58 PM
Kinda of late, but friend forwarded this to me.
Do you agree or disagree? :yes: :no:

Why Does the United States Put Its Mothers Into Combat?
Posted April 14, 2003
By Mona Charen

Pfc. Jessica Lynch has won the hearts and the gratitude of a whole nation. If initial reports are accurate, she showed enormous courage when the Iraqis ambushed her maintenance unit. Though she had been shot, stabbed and sustained at least three broken bones (though it is not yet clear in what sequence), she reportedly fired her weapon until she was out of ammunition.

As one official told the Washington Post, she was "fighting to the death. ... She did not want to be taken alive." They're talking about a Medal of Honor for her. This 5-foot-4-inch, 19-year-old soldier from West Virginia sure did us proud. God bless her and her family.

But she should never have been anywhere near the battlefield. Women do not belong in combat.

It isn't that one doesn't respect women. Some of my best friends are women - and, oh yes, I am one myself! - and I've no doubt that women are as courageous and as cool under fire as men. But far from representing a new frontier in the struggle for women's rights, putting women in combat represents the victory of a few zealots over common sense and right reason.

How did we get here? Under current regulations, women are not permitted in direct combat units. But they're allowed to get very close. Until 1994, women were forbidden even in units that were "at risk" for contact with the enemy or capture. Under pressure from feminists who seek to erase all sexual discrimination from the military, president Bill Clinton's secretary of defense, Les Aspin, eliminated "inherent risk of capture" from the risk assessments of noncombat units. Accordingly, women now staff many positions that are close to the front lines, and at least three women were captured in the first two weeks of fighting in Iraq.

Have you seen the face of Spc. Shoshana Johnson? An Army cook who likes to make jerk chicken and curry rice for her dad, Johnson, like Lynch, was captured following an ambush. Her terrified face since has been broadcast around the world. The Iraqis reportedly put her on camera just after they had killed some of her companions. At this writing, her status is unknown. She is the single mother of a toddler. The other missing woman was Pfc. Lori Piestewa, a 23-year-old mother of two preschoolers who since has been reported killed in action.

Yes, these women are all volunteers, but the question is not whether they are willing but whether we should ask them to take these risks. Pentagon studies consistently have revealed that only about 10 percent of the women in the armed services would choose combat if they could. Studies at the military academies have found that women are far less likely to be interested in war-fighting courses such as strategy and tactics than their male counterparts. And more surveys than you can name have shown that women lag behind men in upper-body strength, size and weight. Many women are not strong enough to carry a fallen comrade over their shoulders. Some cannot throw a grenade far enough to be safe from its explosion. Many become pregnant while in the service, eroding readiness.

But the deepest reasons for objecting to women in combat come down to their inherent delicacy, a quality we should not dismiss lightly. Captured women are virtually certain to be sexually abused or even tortured. And men will go to extra lengths to protect the women around them, sometimes sacrificing their own safety - which is why women should be kept well back from the fighting. Feminists say men should stop worrying about us, that we're fully capable of handling ourselves. But most of us don't really want a world in which men stifle all chivalrous feelings for women.

Finally, there is the matter of motherhood. Two of those women who were in Iraqi captivity are mothers of small children, and one is a single parent. The military traditionally has preferred single men to married men, the childless to those with children. Now we are sending not just young fathers but also young mothers into harm's way. This is so unnecessary, and such a terrible price to ask our children to pay. Anne Applebaum declared in the Post that the argument about women in combat is over. Let's hope not.

Mona Charen is the author of the best-selling book Useful Idiots, released by Regnery Publishing and is a syndicated columnist.

kubba
05-04-03, 05:07 PM
I feel that woman deserves that chance to fight if she wants it and is properly trained.
The only exception would be if she was a mother.
A child does need the mother more than the father don't ask me why cause I don't know.
Gung Ho
Semper FI
Do or Die
stan:yes: :no:

Sparrowhawk
05-04-03, 07:22 PM
Guess the author has never seen a
If Mona Charen wasn't a lesbian, her writing might make sense.

I guess she has never seen how a Mother will fight for her child.

All military men and women are subject to the horrors of war.

The gov did not place women where these women found themselves. They volunteered while others including men would not chance to ever find themselves in a combat zone.

Why should we deny them the right to fight for the freedom we all enjoy?

Any women I would be willing to fight and die for to protect from harm, should be willing to die and fight for me as well.

Stupid liberal women writer.. I'm in a bad mood today, maybe I have PMS...

JChristin
05-04-03, 07:33 PM
The author of, " Useful Idiot," must of been writing about her life.

However, in my opinion, she sounds like a plain jack-a$$ idiot.

semper fi,
jchristin

greensideout
05-04-03, 08:22 PM
Ok, back to the point of the question.

"Should a single parent, either a man or a women be in a combat zone with the military." Remember--"Single Parent."

My view on this:

(1) They should not be required to be there.

(2) If they volunteer to be there, they are a poor excuse of a parent.

(3) The children of a KIA single parent will now be raised by a not-their-parent. What a great idea that is!

(4) All this ends up being one more step away from family values.

(5) Who cares about the children anyway? This is about someone's right to risk being killed in combat. Right?

(6) Oh ya, THE CHILDREN. How did they get into the discussion?

Semper Fi

Shilo
05-04-03, 10:27 PM
My Opinion is this..Women have no buisness in combat for lots of reasons.

I have to disagree with you Greensideout. If a single parent signs the contract and raises his right hand..he should have to go to combat just like any other service memeber.. I agree with you on the other points you made though.

felonysmom
05-05-03, 02:46 AM
It seems to me that fathers are just as important to their children as their mothers, and yet, no one worries about sending the fathers into combat.

firstsgtmike
05-05-03, 07:58 AM
I believe the original question was: &quot;Why Does U.s. Put Its Mothers Into Combat?&quot; <br />
<br />
Sometimes, the best way to answer a question is with another question, and I have a series of them. Come up with...