PDA

View Full Version : SHS grad joins bomb disposal unit

thedrifter
06-04-08, 08:24 AM
06/03/2008
SHS grad joins bomb disposal unit
By: Aaron Sims

Many little boys love to blow things up, but one little boy has grown into a man who wants to make sure things do not blow up.
Paul Works, a 2003 Stockton High School graduate, joined the U.S. Marine Corps and was trained as a computer technician for the corps. When his initial enlistement was ending, Works decided to make the Marines his career and chose a new field - Explosive Ordinance Disposal. Being in the EOD unit means the sergeant is part of the Marines' bomb squad. Works graduated from his training recently, and was granted leave before being deployed overseas.

Works said after high school he enlisted in the Marine Corps in October 2003 because he "needed to do something better," he said. "My life was going nowhere." He had a brother in the Army, and said he looked at the different branches of service, and decided the Marines were the best fit for him.

Once he graduated basic training, Works said he went to military occupational school, and was trained as a computer technician. "I had to get out of that," he said. "I was tired of spending my day in a vaulted room full of computers with no windows."

After re-enlisting, Works was sent to a new military occupational school, this time at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., for eight months of intense training. When asked why he would choose such a dangerous field, he replied, "Honestly, it sounded like fun, and I'll have the ability to save lives - disarming one bomb can save 10 or 15 lives." Works said his mother wasn't too excited when he first told her about his plans, but said now she doesn't think it's too bad, "She knows why I'm doing this," he said. "I mean, she'd rather have someone trained to do the job if it were me in thier place."

The training covered many types of explosive devices, including nuclear, biological, chemical and traditional explosives such as rockets, grenades, land mines and improvised explosive devices that cause so many problems for forces in the Middle East and Iraq. He said there originally were 54 enrolled in the explosive ordinance disposal training from all branches of the military, but only 15 of those individuals graduated. "It's not as easy as the movies," he said. "There's more to it than cutting the red or blue wire."

Even with the extensive training already received, Works said he will continue to be trained once he is deployed, saying the training is continuous as new types of explosives are designed.

Deployment will be with an EOD unit stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Works said he will be stationed there for two years, but will not spend the entire time on base.

"I'll be working in many places with various government agencies and groups," Works said. "I do know I'll work with the FBI and the Secret Service from time to time to do bomb sweeps and things when the president will be visiting locatons overseas." He said there will be a variety of missions and operations that will be part of his job that will take him to many different locations around the globe.

Once the two-year deployment is completed, he said he likely will be stationed in the states, but will stay with the unit, saying there are only a limited number of Marines with his training. "The Marines probably only have 600-700 people in EOD," he said, adding the units work in small groups on various projects wherever they are sent.

Works will be at home in Stockton on leave until June 18, when he return to duty and is deployed to Japan.

Ellie