PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from military analyst program

thedrifter
06-03-08, 06:44 AM
Posted on Tue, Jun. 03, 2008
Quotes from military analyst program
Quotes from Defense Department documents on its military analyst program:

"I have written an essay, if you will, on the subject, which I'm supposed to talk about and record this afternoon. I wonder if I might just send it to you for a truth check if that's OK." - Retired Army Maj. Gen. Robert Scales to Defense Department officials during a June 2006 conference call on the involvement of Marines in the 2005 killings of Iraqis in Haditha.

"It's what we believe in, or we wouldn't be saying it. We'd love to be following our leader, as in fact you are. You are our leader. You are our guy." - Unidentified military analyst in an April 2006 conference call to then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld.

"If you allow the Chris Matthews or the Wolf Blitzers of the world to immediately start dissecting the standup of that government and say this guy is bad, (Iraqi politician Ahmed) Chalabi's a crook ... and you don't respond immediately, we are going to lose that capability to say what we did was honorable and good and right." - Unidentified military analyst in April 2006 call, advising Rumsfeld to be more aggressive in responding to critical questions by the media.

"What can we say to the American public to say ... there are some things you can see that will make you feel better about what our military is doing and any progress we have made?" - Question posed by an unidentified military analyst to then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Peter Pace in an April 2006 conference call.

Ellie