PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart gives $100,000 to Navy-Marine Corps Relief

thedrifter
05-04-03, 10:46 AM
Wal-Mart gives $100,000 to Navy-Marine Corps Relief

BY DON KENNEDY, Staff Writer

Norfolk — Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., donated $100,000 to the local chapter of the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society April 29 during a ceremony aboard the battleship Wisconsin in downtown Norfolk.

Rear Adm. David Architzel, commander of the Navy’s mid-Atlantic Region, received the check along with Ed McCann, director of the society’s Hampton Roads chapter.

“Today as we speak, seven out of 12 carrier battle groups, nine amphibious ready groups, 600 aircraft, 158 of 303 Navy ships deployed forward,” Architzel said after accepting the check from Wal-Mart. “There are more than 76,000 personnel ... deployed. More than 40,000 of those people — men and women serving our country — are from this area.

“When they deploy, their families are here, and people like Ed McCann and representatives of Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society take care of those families, and they will be able to do a lot more now that you have so graciously given this contribution to help them do what they do so well.”

Last year the society provided $4.3 million in no- interest loans and more than $438 thousand in grants to Hampton Roads area sailors, Marines and their families.

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, in partnership with the Navy and Marine Corps, provides financial, educational, and other assistance to members of the naval serv-ices of the United States, eligible family members, and survivors when in need; and receives and manages funds to administer these programs.

“This donation will go directly into helping meet the emergency financial needs of our sailors and Marines and their families stationed throughout the Norfolk region. We thank the Wal-Mart corporate family for supporting sailors and Marines during this conflict.”

“This is one small way that we can show our commitment to the communities we serve, said Charles Mehler, the Virginia District Manager for for Wal-Mart.”

Mehler’s grandfather was killed in action during World War II. His mother was 7 at the time. Hanging on his wall at home is a letter sent to his grandmother from Harry S. Truman recognizing the service his grandfather gave to his country. It reads in part: “he stands in an unbroken line of patriots who dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings.”

“Each time I look at that letter, I’m reminded of the saccrifices that our servicemembers make every day in defending our freedom. I’m also reminded of the hardships our military families face when their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers are deployed or otherwise engaged in military conflict. ... It is with deep humility and appreciation that I present this check today on behalf of all Wal-Mart associatiates.”

Wal-Mart is donating more than $1 million to organizations providing support to the families of U.S. service members and their families worldwide. In addition to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, the organizations include: Army Emergency Relief, Air Force Aid Society, Inc., USO and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance.

Sempers,

Roger

kubba
05-04-03, 05:00 PM
Hey Roger, do you think that Walmart heard about Target and did not want to get on the consumers bad side?
I always liked Walmart more anyways.
Gung Ho
Semper FI
Do or Die
stan
:marine: