PDA

View Full Version : Elite XC MMA Sat. night....FIX?

jetdoc
06-02-08, 08:21 AM
Did you guys watch the MMA fights on CBS sat. night? Elite XC put on the fight.

The first two fights were boring and stopped early, then two females came out and threw down, it was pretty bloody and a great fight.

Then Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith came out and had an excellent fight, although that was stopped as well....by the same female ringside doctor!!

The main card was Kimbo Slice against a journeyman, Scott Thompson. Scott is a big dude but doesn't have a chin.

That fight was stopped as well...Kimbo had some good shots in on Scott, and Scott had Kimbo on the ground a few times and was getting in a few shots.

This is MMA, not volleyball, most of the fight stops should have gone a while longer, IMO. I thought Elite XC put on a show like the WWF, too much glam and I won't watch it again...and I do think they put a lot of money into the promotion of Kimbo, they couldn't afford to have him lose. Kimbo, while a good puncher, is new to MMA and has a way to go before they put him in with the big boys....they are pushing him.

Now last night, WEC, (where our own Marine Capt. Brian Stann is the light heavy Champ!), had a way excellent card. It ended with Jens Pulver being decisioned by Faber...thats the way a fight should be, two guys pounding each other, not being stopped early.

maverickmarine
06-02-08, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I caught the tail end of the fight between Slice and Johnson. I thought Slice was obviously a powerful fighter with alot of potential but yes, has a long way to go. I also agree that the fight shouldn't have been stopped just then. Although, Slice had Johnson looking kind of goofy and wobbly right before they stopped it.

jrhd97
06-02-08, 11:08 AM
I pity the poor SOB who offers to take Capt. Stann out back to "discuss" something. :devious:

jetdoc
06-02-08, 03:15 PM
Yea Brian Stann is excellent fighter, however I have yet to see his ground game come into play. He fights like Aug 3 in defese of his belt.

It was just a horrible display of CBS and Elite XC pumping up a guy, Kimbo, who had no business fighting in a main event at this stage of his MMA career. He may have a bright future, just don't pump the guy up for failure.

SlingerDun
06-02-08, 08:13 PM
Stann trained with Team Quests Lindland, Henderson, Sonnen and other elite wrestlers so he's been takendown plenty and tested on the mat but i don't think he has that foundation going back to childhood. On appearance alone he could very well be a grappler but doesn't show the base and footwork when he gets to movin around and wingin haymakers.

Heard his athletic experience was mostly football. He still a bit raw and needs a few years to develop more skill and is young enough to benefit from it if UFC is his ultimate plan. Fights with lightheavy's like Rampage, Wanderlei, Liddell, Machida, Houston, and Forrest et al. would be grim for Cpt. Stann in 08'

--->Dave

Osotogary
06-02-08, 08:30 PM
One of the best fights technically was the woman's bout. High, low, punches and kicks, with the thrust kick to stomach etc. The winner exhibited fine boxing and Muy Thai combinations and was clearly the superior that evening.
The main fight with Kimbo Slice and Scott Thompson should not have even happened with Scott's ear being in that condition but they both needed a payday and I certainly won't begrudge either one for doing what they had to do.
Scott is a big dude but doesn't have a chin. He's lucky he has one at all sticking it out so far from his body. If he had been hit one solid blow from an upper cut, right cross, left hook on that dangling chin he would have gotten seriously hurt. That's what I feared most in that fight.The Lawler/Smith contest was the best male fight of the evening, the lighter weights usually are.
Good commetary, jetdoc. Almost as good as Frank Shamrock. LOL

SlingerDun
06-02-08, 08:57 PM
I didn't see that guys ear but have never seen a bloody cauliflower effect a fighter or wrestlers ability to get after it. I have seen a veterinarian get cow kicked in the ear, pop! It swelled and leaked crimson but she finished the job:cool:

jetdoc
06-02-08, 11:39 PM
One of the best fights technically was the woman's bout. High, low, punches and kicks, with the thrust kick to stomach etc. The winner exhibited fine boxing and Muy Thai combinations and was clearly the superior that evening.
The main fight with Kimbo Slice and Scott Thompson should not have even happened with Scott's ear being in that condition but they both needed a payday and I certainly won't begrudge either one for doing what they had to do. He's lucky he has one at all sticking it out so far from his body. If he had been hit one solid blow from an upper cut, right cross, left hook on that dangling chin he would have gotten seriously hurt. That's what I feared most in that fight.The Lawler/Smith contest was the best male fight of the evening, the lighter weights usually are.
Good commetary, jetdoc. Almost as good as Frank Shamrock. LOL

Gary, you brought up some great points and I agree totally. The Gina Carano/Kaitlin Young fight was a wonderfully technical fight, as you said. Here is a clip of the gals banging it out.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mjb7_gina-carano-vs-kaitlin-young-elite_sport

I also agree, the Lawler fight was a good one and again stopped early and it shouldn't have been.

Did you check out the WEC on Sunday, there were some good fights.

jetdoc
06-03-08, 12:07 AM
Here is a pic of Gina, she can kick your azz and look pretty while doing it, lol.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/2084198758_b28d9b7527.jpg