PDA

View Full Version : anybody serve with SPT.CO..H&S BN.3DFSR-FMF?

RON 68
05-31-08, 06:54 PM
i just located some old records of mine.along with m.c.r.d.photo and camp Pendleton photo. seemed i did not rate a "nam service medal" or anything else. since only served 5 month's over seas service. at Danang and Kadena airbase. and to rate you needed six months or more{ i never knew that and i find this out 40 years later.} oversea's service. my .M.O.S.was 3111 and 8561 which they don't even show anymore.only national defense medal and good conduct medal{27 dec 1971 {2ND Award} and Sharpshooter and markmans medal. says i was promoted to E-4 on may 1, 1970{ date of entry} 27 Dec.1968, and up for promotion to E-5 per letter dated 27 oct 1970.{ which they never went through with}

by the looks of my record.i did not serve at all.i can't even find a unit. however did find a plane ticket receipt from kadena airbase back to campen,ca.to a SU#1 company. i guess after 40 year's.it's not worth looking up.another form says they lost my gear someplace in japan.{ and never located}

i guess i am one of the "Shadow Marine's".

served with honor.but nobody knew it.

what a depressing day for me.:( Ron 68

and to think i marched in the Chicago june 13th "1986" homecoming parade.
and felt like i did something.

yellowwing
05-31-08, 07:07 PM
Your still one of us Bro! :thumbup:

Your RVN Era Bros will pipe in, no doubt.

greensideout
05-31-08, 07:52 PM
Request a DD-215 to reflect your units and awards.

RON 68
05-31-08, 08:22 PM
Thanks i figure maybe somebody will chime in from over forty years ago.before my light burns out.RON 68

davblay
06-01-08, 12:28 AM
i just located some old records of mine.along with m.c.r.d.photo and camp Pendleton photo. seemed i did not rate a "nam service medal" or anything else. since only served 5 month's over seas service. at Danang and Kadena airbase. and to rate you needed six months or more{ i never knew that and i find this out 40 years later.} oversea's service. my .M.O.S.was 3111 and 8561 which they don't even show anymore.only national defense medal and good conduct medal{27 dec 1971 {2ND Award} and Sharpshooter and markmans medal. says i was promoted to E-4 on may 1, 1970{ date of entry} 27 Dec.1968, and up for promotion to E-5 per letter dated 27 oct 1970.{ which they never went through with}

by the looks of my record.i did not serve at all.i can't even find a unit. however did find a plane ticket receipt from kadena airbase back to campen,ca.to a SU#1 company. i guess after 40 year's.it's not worth looking up.another form says they lost my gear someplace in japan.{ and never located}

i guess i am one of the "Shadow Marine's".

served with honor.but nobody knew it.

what a depressing day for me.:( Ron 68

and to think i marched in the Chicago june 13th "1986" homecoming parade.
and felt like i did something.
Ron, if you served one day in country you rate the Viet Nam Service Medal, the National Defense Service metal, the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross unit award w/palm and frame, the Vietnam Civil action Unit Award, w/Palm and frame, and of Course your Good Conduct Medal. Plus with a little researce you will find a couple more, like the Navy Meritorious Unit Award nad ther Navy Presidential Citation. If you saw any combat at all you even rate the CAR, so get er done Marine!

The RVN Campain medal was for 6 months service in country! Sorry about that one. Contact your local service rep, he'll know how to help you out

I hope this help you out some, brother.

RON 68
06-01-08, 11:33 AM
thanks for the info.time to do some homework that has been sitting for 40 year's.a long time coming home for me.Semper-Fi. Ron 68

Zulu 36
06-01-08, 12:20 PM
Ron, if you served one day in country you rate the Viet Nam Service Medal, the National Defense Service metal, the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross unit award w/palm and frame, the Vietnam Civil action Unit Award, w/Palm and frame, and of Course your Good Conduct Medal. Plus with a little researce you will find a couple more, like the Navy Meritorious Unit Award nad ther Navy Presidential Citation. If you saw any combat at all you even rate the CAR, so get er done Marine!

The RVN Campain medal was for 6 months service in country! Sorry about that one. Contact your local service rep, he'll know how to help you out

I hope this help you out some, brother.
The Civil Action w/Palm and Frame was not automatic. It had to have been issued by the RVN specifically to a unit and for a time frame. I was there for nine-months and we were not awarded that one. Also, the VN Campaign medal could be issued for less that six-months in-country service, but you had to have been WIA or KIA.

The CAR is also restricted to certain types of combat and actions under fire. Very few people in my air group rated a CAR. Just simply getting rocketed or mortared a few times while hiding in a bunker didn't qualify back then (technically).

FistFu68
06-01-08, 01:27 PM
:usmc: WELCOME HOME MARINE-NOW THEY GONNA PUT SO MUCH MEDAL ON YOU'R AZZ, YOU'RE GONNA NEED A CHERRYPICKER TOO HOLD YOU UP MARINE.BE VERY PROUD OF THE CHICAGO PARADE MARINE,OVER 13 THOUSAND MARINES NEVER WERE ABLE TOO SHOW UP FOR IT!!!MARINE.SEMPER~FI:usmc: :iwo:

RON 68
06-01-08, 05:56 PM
i never looked at it that way on the parade . and i live everyday thinking of the ones that did not make it back. or did and still to this day have problem's.i guess my quick wit and Jesus Christ tattoo pulled me through.
{ and the south side Chicago upbringing helped}
and to live every day of your life in the knowledge that those that did not make it back from whatever conflict can still live on in those of us that are here.never dishonor the corps in whatever we do.

Semper-Fi. Ron 68

davblay
06-03-08, 11:29 AM
The Civil Action w/Palm and Frame was not automatic. It had to have been issued by the RVN specifically to a unit and for a time frame. I was there for nine-months and we were not awarded that one. Also, the VN Campaign medal could be issued for less that six-months in-country service, but you had to have been WIA or KIA.

The CAR is also restricted to certain types of combat and actions under fire. Very few people in my air group rated a CAR. Just simply getting rocketed or mortared a few times while hiding in a bunker didn't qualify back then (technically).

Sorry Zulu, but it was pretty much automatic as it was issued t every unit that served over there!
--------------------------------------

U.S. Military units were individually cited for award of the Republic of Vietnam (RVN) Gallantry Cross; however, the Vietnamese Government issued the award to all units subordinate to Military Assistance Command (MACV) during the period 8 February 1962 and 28 March 1973 and to U.S. Army Vietnam and its subordinate units for the period 20 July 1965 to 28 March 1973. This permits all personnel who served in Vietnam to wear the RVN Gallantry Cross unit citation.<o:p> </o:p>
The medal was awarded by the Vietnam Government to military personnel who have accomplished deeds of valor or displayed heroic conduct while fighting the enemy and have been cited individually at the regiment, brigade, division, corps, or armed forces level.