PDA

View Full Version : Spare Ribs

outlaw3179
05-31-08, 01:42 PM
Hey Warlords,

I woke up with a real bad case of needin some ribs today . So heres what I did, I dont have a smoker or a charcoal grill , only a gas grill . I bought 2 racks of ribs, rubbed some cajun rub on them , wrapped them up in tin foil, and placed them on the top shelf at very low low heat. Only turning on 2 of the burners. I plan on leaving them in the grill for about 2 hours or so , then putting on some bbq sauce within the last 20 minutes or so. Ive never really tried this method before and Im hoping it works pretty well. Anyone got any suggestions on anything I should do , or how about sharing how you tackle ribs on your grill.
Semper Fi Marines Ill let you know how they turn out.

outlaw3179
05-31-08, 01:43 PM
Oh and I also bought a 12 pack of corona, its a beautiful day here and its gonna be nice. :)

sparkie
05-31-08, 01:45 PM
Wrapped in tin,,,you may have a bit of grease to deal with. Might drain and rewrap for more cookin.
Ribs,,,slow is best.

outlaw3179
05-31-08, 01:48 PM
Change it in about an hour you think? Wont that release some of the juices and dry them out ?

sparkie
05-31-08, 01:51 PM
Just thought you would want to drain some fat off long before their done,,,, In the grill, the fat drips away.There'll still be plenty of fat left without drowning in it.

outlaw3179
05-31-08, 01:51 PM
Roger that , sounds good.

sparkie
05-31-08, 01:54 PM
Have a corona,,,, Makes experts outta all of us.

yellowwing
05-31-08, 02:05 PM
No no! Save the drippings to pour over some mashed taters!

Big Jim
05-31-08, 02:16 PM
No no! Save the drippings to pour over some mashed taters!

...or as a sauce over the ribs!!! The drippings is where ALL the flavor is!!! And...and it depends on how much those ribs weigh as to how long they should cook. Spare ribs are usually big and on a grill...mine usually take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours at low heat. Check 'em once in a while...and drink more beer....you got lime with that cerveza??? MMMM...they smell good....

yellowwing
05-31-08, 02:31 PM
Exactly, Nothing Wasted! Even the dog will have a treat later.

Les Elkins
05-31-08, 04:15 PM
I don't think one 12 pack is enough beer to cook ribs....need at least a case.

Now I want to break out my smoker!!!!

Kegler300
05-31-08, 04:22 PM
Dayem...sounds like my kinda grillin'! Enjoy!

SGT7477
05-31-08, 04:28 PM
That makes a Marine hungry.

Big Jim
05-31-08, 04:38 PM
I don't think one 12 pack is enough beer to cook ribs....need at least a case.

Now I want to break out my smoker!!!!

I agree....a twelver ain't enough....we need a keg!!! LOL Some good beer...a good burn on some meat...Marines and family all around....life doesn't get any better.....

SlingerDun
05-31-08, 05:41 PM
If those ribs are beef? tinfoiled on a gas grill is not a bad choice. It's pretty easy to petrify on the slow gas burn if they're not wearing a sauna suit.

If the feed is pork, in fact it may be best to pitch 'em along with that corona and start over with the beef or bison and something like hefeweizen or heineken, at the least miller high life. Save those limes for the sauce with a generous dose of bourbon:cool:

Osotogary
05-31-08, 07:29 PM
Outlaw3179,
Have you ever used Liquid Smoke? When I visited Alaska many moons ago I befriended a Native American family and we talked about smoking salmon and other meats, poultry, naturally. They mentioned that they often used Liquid Smoke. Perhaps you have tried it. I have and it works.
Enjoy your Barbeque feast.
Gary

Old Marine
06-01-08, 08:43 AM
You might want to par boil those ribs before putting them on the "Q". It will get rid of most of the fat. Beef ribs will never be as good as pork no matter how they are cooked. A good dry rub is the way to go. Damn, now I am hungry.

outlaw3179
06-01-08, 11:59 AM
Well Gents those pork ribs were outstanding. I let them slow cook in the foil for 2 hours. Then I opened them up , collected the juices, and then took them out of the foil put them back on the top rack, ( bone side down) and began to smother them in BBQ sauce. I let them cook for about 10 minutes , then poured the juices back on the ribs. Let them cook for another 15 minutes or so , and Ill tell you what, those were some tasty ribs. Meat just came right off the bone . Oh and the coronas went down reaaaal nice yesterday. Today Ill keep it simple and do brats and burgers. Im already starving . Thanks Gents!

FistFu68
06-01-08, 01:57 PM
:evilgrin: ENJOY,THAT LIQUID SMOKE IS A VERY ADDICTIVE WAY 2GO;ONCE YOU'VE DONE IT YOU'R HOOKED FOR REST OF YOU'R BARBIE DAY'S.BABY BAC PORK "YUMMY" :beer: :thumbup:

jetdoc
06-01-08, 02:02 PM
You guys are making me hungry, lol.