PDA

View Full Version : Marine removed from duty over Bible coin

outlaw3179
05-30-08, 09:07 AM
Who gives a f*ck. Pretty much this is why I hate hadjis. Its cool to blow Marines up, kill everyone who is against them and doesnt believe in motherf*cking allah , but God forbid a Marine passes out a coin with a verse from the bible. Now you got commanders being so PC theyre out in public apologizing. C*cksuckers.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A U.S. Marine in Iraq has been removed from duty amid complaints that he was handing out coins with Bible verses at an American checkpoint, the military said Thursday.

A military spokesman said Iraqis in Falluja complained that the Marine was giving the coins, which were printed in Arabic, to people at an entry control point in Falluja.

U.S. military regulations prohibit religious proselytizing.

"This has our full attention," said Col. James L. Welsh, chief of staff of Multi-National Force, West. "We deeply value our relationship with the local citizens and share their concerns over this serious incident."

At least one of the coins is stamped with the words "Where will you spend eternity?" according to a report published Thursday by McClatchy Newspapers.

The other side of the coin reportedly contains a verse from John 3:16 that reads, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Several Falluja residents said they were given the coins over a two-day period and complained that U.S. troops, whom they consider foreign occupiers, were acting as Christian missionaries.

"Regulations prohibit members of the coalition force from proselytizing any religion, faith or practices," said Col. Bill Buckner, a coalition spokesman. "Our troops are trained on those guidelines before they deploy."

A military statement said "appropriate action" will be taken if the reports are substantiated.

The reports stoked religious concerns in Iraq just weeks after Iraqi police discovered that a U.S. soldier had used the Quran, Islam's holy book, for target practice.

The U.S. commander in Baghdad took the unusual step of holding a public ceremony and reading a letter of apology from the soldier, a sniper section leader, to local Iraqi leaders.

Many in attendance were members and leaders of Sunni militias that the U.S. military has courted to help fight al Qaeda in Iraq and other insurgents. Sunnis often face criticism from other Iraqis for cooperating with American troops.

Falluja, also a mostly Sunni city, was the scene of bitter and bloody fighting early in the Iraq war between U.S. troops, al Qaeda in Iraq and Sunni insurgents loyal to Saddam Hussein.

jrhd97
05-30-08, 09:33 AM
Appologizing, geez where did the balls go?
Although I see no problem with what he did, he did know the standing order and should have abided. Disobeying a direct order is counter to the christian principals he is promoting.

sscjoe
05-30-08, 09:43 AM
How do you relieve from duty in Iraq? Although he did violate a standing order and some form of disipline is appropriate. I Agree with Outlaw, who gives a f--k. I personnaly don't cares what the Iraqi people think. Did they care when our people were being beheaded or hung from bridges hmm- don't recall them complaining about that.

outlaw3179
05-30-08, 09:48 AM
Hell not they werent complaining , motherf*ckers.

hrscowboy
05-30-08, 12:17 PM
I have been saying this all along gentlemen and still you raise hell with me when i say this is the New Marine Corps.. Your Officers of today have no balls about themselves they are too worried who they are gonna **** off in which who really gives a damn. This is a war and i can say this aleast back in the 60s and 70s Old Marine Corps didnt give a rats behind who we cranked up or ****ed on..

sscjoe
05-30-08, 12:46 PM
:flag: :thumbup:

ggyoung
05-30-08, 01:14 PM
I have often wondered if a Sgt. would put his strips on the 1stSgt desk for one of his troops. Do they still do this?

David Jameson
05-30-08, 01:20 PM
No There good but its changed .A lot of what we called chicken **** they call standards.Like we did'nt have any frigin standards:beer:

nptwildcat
05-30-08, 01:23 PM
So let's all get together and raise money to buy a truckload of coins. We'll send them to our troops and they can ALL pass them out. Then they can ALL be relieved of their duties and sent back home. Then f**king allah can protect their raghead a$$es along with our ball less officers!

pablox1139
05-30-08, 01:28 PM
All the hell those Marines have been put through...and they get gigged for this bull****?...i know he doesnt want to be seperated from his fellow Marines, but what is the punishment? hot chow and a shower...? If they really disipline him for this...shame on those commanders...

ggyoung
05-30-08, 01:28 PM
How about a coin with allah on one side and a pigs a$$ on the other.

pablox1139
05-30-08, 01:32 PM
or 72 goats ......they r all virgins!...well,.... if they havent made it to town yet!

Finger
05-30-08, 01:49 PM
I saw a picture once that dipicted those virgins as 72 armed and mad Catholic nuns. Wouldn't that be justice?

:scared:

S/F
Finger

David Jameson
05-30-08, 02:03 PM
(it takes me a while) How the **** does this **** get to the press anyway? <br />
If the CO released it to make himself look like a hard charger,that might back fire on him.Turn into a lack of leadership...

Preacher
05-30-08, 03:43 PM
Freakin' liberals are at it again.

Marine84
05-30-08, 05:42 PM
So let's all get together and raise money to buy a truckload of coins. We'll send them to our troops and they can ALL pass them out. Then they can ALL be relieved of their duties and sent back home. Then f**king allah can protect their raghead a$$es along with our ball less officers!

Now THAT'S an idea! Strength in numbers ya'll..............................

I think it's messed up that they want to relieve him just for that, who the fk cares? However, he IS in someone else's country. He was expecting something confrontational to happen by doing what he did just, not this. The Corps will hopefully send him back to CONUS and his unit will have a good laugh over it.

outlaw3179
05-30-08, 06:29 PM
Remove from the fight because some fu*king Hadji had his feelings hurt. F that.

pablox1139
05-30-08, 06:35 PM
Kinder, gentler.....Its hard to lead from the Office!

LowCrawl
05-30-08, 06:36 PM
Understand there is a bigger picture at stake here Marines. The whole reason why the middle east has been fighting for thousands of years is because of religious differences. This is most definitely a very sensitive issue.

iamcloudlander
05-30-08, 07:33 PM
hows this for an apology?

This "Letter of Apology" was written by Lieutenant General Chuck Pitman, US Marine Corps, Retired:

For good and ill, the Iraqi prisoner abuse mess will remain an issue. On the one hand, right thinking Americans will abhor the stupidity of the actions while, on the other hand, political glee will take control and fashion this minor event into some modern day massacre.

I humbly offer my opinion here:

I am sorry that the last seven times we Americans took up arms and sacrificed the blood of our youth; it was in the defense of Muslims ( Bosnia , Kosovo, Gulf War 1, Kuwait, etc.)

I am sorry that no such call for an apology upon the extremists came after 9/11.

I am sorry that all of the murderers on 9/11 were Islamic Arabs.

I am sorry that most Arabs and Muslims have to live in squalor under savage dictatorships.

I am sorry that their leaders squander their wealth.

I am sorry that their governments breed hate for the US in their religious schools, mosques, and government-controlled media.

I am sorry that Yassar Arafat was kicked out of every Arab country and highjacked the Palestinian "cause."

I am sorry that no other Arab country will take in or offer more than a token amount of financial help to those same Palestinians.

I am sorry that theU.S.A.has to step in and be the biggest financial supporter of poverty stricken Arabs while the insanely wealthy Arabs blame the USA for all their problems.

I am sorry that our own left wing, our media, and our own brainwashed masses do not understand any of this (from the misleading vocal elements of our society like radical professors, CNN and the NY TIMES).

I am sorry the United Nations scammed the poor people of Iraq out of the "food for oil" money so they could get rich while the common folk suffered.

I am sorry that some Arab governments pay the families of homicide bombers upon their death.

I am sorry that those same bombers are brainwashed thinking they will receive 72 virgins in "paradise."

I am sorry that the homicide bombers think pregnant women, babies, children, the elderly and other non-combatant civilians are legitimate targets.

I am sorry that our troops die to free more Arabs from the gang rape rooms and the filling of mass graves of dissidents of their own making.

I am sorry that Muslim extremists have killed more Arabs than any other group.

I am sorry that foreign trained terrorists are trying to seize control ofIraq and return it to a terrorist state.

I am sorry we don't drop a few dozen daisy-cutters on Fallujah.

I am sorry every time terrorists hide, they find a convenient "Holy Site."

I am sorry they didn't apologize for driving a jet into the World Trade Center that collapsed and severely damaged Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church - one of our Holy Sites.

I am sorry they didn't apologize for flights 93 and 175, the USS Cole, the embassy bombings, the murders and beheadings of Nick Berg and Daniel Pearl, etc, etc!

I am sorry Michael Moore is American; he could feed a medium sized village in Africa.

America will get past this latest absurdity. We will punish those responsible because that is what we do.

We hang out our dirty laundry for the entire world to see. We move on. That's one of the reasons we are hated so much. We don't hide this stuff like all those Arab countries that are now demanding an apology.

Deep down inside, when most Americans saw this reported in the news, we were like - so what? We lost hundreds and made fun of a few prisoners. Sure, it was wrong; sure, it dramatically hurts our cause; but, until captured, we were trying to kill these same prisoners. Now we're supposed to wring our hands because a few were humiliated?

Our compassion is tempered with the vivid memories of our own people killed, mutilated and burned amongst a joyous crowd of celebrating Fallujahans.

If you want an apology from this American, you're going to have a long wait! You have a better chance of finding those seventy-two virgins.

Chuck Pitman

Lieutenant General, USMC

Donald Dwares

E5NAMKROW
05-30-08, 08:01 PM
Good initiative, Bad judgment.

pablox1139
05-30-08, 08:45 PM
There is a higher authority those bastards need to worry about.....makes big boom when it hits villages.......

Jim Oliver
05-30-08, 11:05 PM
F**k those mothrf***kers.

How can a Marine officer stand to be sooo ballless.

You know what? I'd go there and hand out Bibles and the Torah.

And if they whined, I'd wheedle on the steps of the nearset Mosque.

See which offended them more.

I could see an appology if.... he was standing there with his doodads swaying in the breeze...

and the toothknarled one-eyed viper in the striking position.

As for those virgins those camel-humping ragtops chase...

They're all frigid, man hating, and have permanent PMS

Wyoming
05-30-08, 11:22 PM
F**k those mothrf***kers.

How can a Marine officer stand to be sooo ballless.

You know what? I'd go there and hand out Bibles and the Torah.

And if they whined, I'd wheedle on the steps of the nearset Mosque.

See which offended them more.

I could see an appology if.... he was standing there with his doodads swaying in the breeze...

and the toothknarled one-eyed viper in the striking position.

As for those virgins those camel-humping ragtops chase...

They're all frigid, man hating, and have permanent PMS Hmmm, Jim, you need to come out of your shell and really tell us how you feel.

Send a boat load of footballs over for them to play with. And have a BBQ, pork ribs. And BEER!!!

Christ0ph
05-31-08, 12:27 AM
I live and work out of the ECP that this happened at. I personally know the Marine that was involved. To be honest, I am ****ing ****ed. How could he have not known that those coins would **** off the local population? He actually thought he could spread the word of Christ to these animals? The bottom line is, he put our Marines' lives in danger because now everyone in Fallujah is ****ed and looking to put a giant VBIED through our ECP, and vaporize the Marines working in the ECP. Big stupid move on his part, and a War Crime too according to our chain of command. When you signed up, and signed away all of your rights. Including your right of free speech, even though we are fighting for those very rights. it's the truth, whether you like it or not

jetdoc
05-31-08, 08:06 AM
Understand there is a bigger picture at stake here Marines. The whole reason why the middle east has been fighting for thousands of years is because of religious differences. This is most definitely a very sensitive issue.
Valid point, there have been many many wars started over religion and the forcing of it on others.

I'm thinking if some of their locals were trying to convert us to their religion we wouldn't be too happy.

Perhaps we shouldn't be jamming Christianity down their throats yet, we are still in the middle of killing each other, there is plenty of time for converting them at a later date, lol.

A time and place for everything.

jrhd97
05-31-08, 09:21 AM
Cramming down there throats will give validity to there accusations of another crusade.
Allowing them to learn, on there own. Living a life that others can see christ through you is perfectly acceptable. Forcing it on them is not acceptable for any reason. That violates the whole principle of mans free will.

Marine84
05-31-08, 09:28 AM
I live and work out of the ECP that this happened at. I personally know the Marine that was involved. To be honest, I am ****ing ****ed. How could he have not known that those coins would **** off the local population? He actually thought he could spread the word of Christ to these animals? The bottom line is, he put our Marines' lives in danger because now everyone in Fallujah is ****ed and looking to put a giant VBIED through our ECP, and vaporize the Marines working in the ECP. Big stupid move on his part, and a War Crime too according to our chain of command. When you signed up, and signed away all of your rights. Including your right of free speech, even though we are fighting for those very rights. it's the truth, whether you like it or not

EXACTLY! Like I said, he KNEW he was starting something when he did it.

CBS
05-31-08, 09:39 AM
I was Corporal in 1966 and went 'on-line' for my squad with an issue of 'Friendly fire'...what they hell is that ? They promptly moved me to another platoon and finally out of 1/9 back to Phu Bai MABS 36..perimeter security. My squad never forgot what they did to me for standing up to a Captain who
had been 'talked' to by a Lt. Col for his inability to lead and keep Marines from dying by the carload. I'd still do it today but this time, I'd be sure he went down as well !!

SF......>Chuck "C" 1/9

jetdoc
05-31-08, 09:47 AM
Cramming down there throats will give validity to there accusations of another crusade.
Allowing them to learn, on there own. Living a life that others can see christ through you is perfectly acceptable. Forcing it on them is not acceptable for any reason. That violates the whole principle of mans free will.

I agree, are we trying to convert them to christianity or to the ways of the western world?

darkgreen0311
05-31-08, 11:13 AM
That's true Doc we are trying to make them worship and believe in what we believe in which is not right. We can't shove democracy or religion on any other culture that have kept the same belief system for thousands of years. They relieve a Marine for handing out coins. We've gone from kicking a** to kissing a**.

:marine: :flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

yellowwing
05-31-08, 02:18 PM
U.S. military regulations prohibit religious proselytizing.

pros·e·ly·tize (prŏs'ə-lĭ-tīz')

v., -tized, -tiz·ing, -tiz·es.

v.intr.
To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

Wow, if a geek like me sitting here safe at home has to look it up, WTF is the Pentagon thinking that men in the field can understand their obtuse directives?

Jim Oliver
05-31-08, 06:02 PM
BigAl,

LOL!

I know I talk too much.

yellowwing
05-31-08, 09:58 PM
We are in a foreign land with other ideals. We are sending men into harms way so that these muslims can vote and live in peace. We have platoons deployed so they can have electricity to read the Koran.

Their kids yell to our Marines to throw them candy.

So yeah, when a army soldier shoots a koran or passes out Old Testament coins, it is a Leadership Challenge to the Regiment.

Having a grasp of what's really going on in Iraq outside the Beltway is a good thing.

jetdoc
06-01-08, 09:06 AM
We are in a foreign land with other ideals. We are sending men into harms way so that these muslims can vote and live in peace. We have platoons deployed so they can have electricity to read the Koran.

Their kids yell to our Marines to throw them candy.

So yeah, when a army soldier shoots a koran or passes out Old Testament coins, it is a Leadership Challenge to the Regiment.

Having a grasp of what's really going on in Iraq outside the Beltway is a good thing.

:thumbup: :yes:

249gunner
06-01-08, 11:11 PM
2 to the chest 1 to the head are my politics.

I didnt enlist to argue over religion or settle that problem.

greensideout
06-01-08, 11:25 PM
It's the "New" Testament coins. (John 3-16)

kentmitchell
06-06-08, 02:59 PM
U.S. Minted coins also have religious messages-- In God We Trust.
Send us all home.