PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a 250 on the range? Am I reaching too far?

Achped
05-28-08, 10:50 PM
Im snapping in this week, and honestly gentlemen, Im confident I've got it. The standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, everything is on point. I pull the trigger so smoothly the sights dont even move.

3rd Marine Regiments high shooter is Cpl Anderson, and he got a 250, but now they've got the new Table 2 shooting included in the score, so its out of 350 now, with 305 being expert.

Next Friday night I will let you all know how I did, but how many of you have seen that done? Even a 245 or higher?

In boot I shot a 219, in the wind and rain, with the flu, and a chipped front sight post, not to mention we had lightning in the middle of the 200 so we had to literally sprint to the thunderdome and wait out the storm while I froze my ass off. If I can almost get expert under those conditions, I know I've got it in the bag this time, but I want more.

Pre-qual and earlier that week I was shooting high 230s, surely alot of Marines hit 245+ right?

Haffner
05-28-08, 10:55 PM
I've never seen a 250 in person. Never shot a 245 either. Shot a 238 in the beginning of December though at Wilcox. It was raining, windy and barely above freezing, so that was a descent accomplishment.

Having a steady position is half the battle, if that. That's the easy part. The hard part is always remembering the fundamentals like getting a proper natural point of aim, not jerking the trigger, follow through, knowing how to precisely adjust your shots.

But hey, shoot that damn 250. You'll see no complaints from me; just praise. That's a really damn impressive feat, IMO.

yellowwing
05-29-08, 01:09 AM
Focus. Focus. Focus. There's nothing else going on but that shot. Pros call it getting in the zone. Did you ever see that sound bite from Michael Jordan when he was In The Zone, "The basket looks like a big ole bucket."

You are giving plenty of time for each string of shooting. No rush. Don't even talk to anybody between yard lines. Stay in the zone.

Wyoming
05-29-08, 01:57 AM
Lofty goal. I see nothing but good coming down the pike for you.

Here's a question - In todays boot, does an UNQ, at the range, graduate?

I know they did during the little conflict we had in the RVN.

Just wondering.

CplKJSpevak
05-29-08, 05:32 AM
Big Al, we had one guy go UnQ....they kept him their till he qualified..(only a day or two later)
I never shot expert (on qual day) but almost ALWAYS shot expert on pre-qual day............damn! but don't remember any scores

TazMatt
05-29-08, 08:18 AM
I graduated from boot camp in 69 going unq. I later qualified marksman but that was the best I ever did. just never cared to shoot and still don't.I am licensed to carry and will use it if I have to I just don't go hunting or anything and never worried about it.I still did my job and spent six wonderful years in The Corp.

Quinbo
05-29-08, 08:23 AM
My best friend still holds the range record at Quantico with a 249. Adam Lentz. Anyway he dropped that point with his last round at the 500. Can you freakin believe that? I guess having half the base standing behind him for that final shot made him a little nervous.

He never made the rifle team but did get to call the tower at Perry and was our tower for all the ranges.

MarineNCO
05-29-08, 09:20 AM
Lofty goal. I see nothing but good coming down the pike for you.

Here's a question - In todays boot, does an UNQ, at the range, graduate?

I know they did during the little conflict we had in the RVN.

Just wondering.

They get dropped back to a training platoon that is at that stage of training. This is done a few times if the recruit is deserving. Had a recruit in my platoon that was dropped back to us. He barely qualified the second time around.

It is my understanding they will drop you back once or twice but after that it is up in the air as to if they dro you again or seperate you.

Crusader20
05-29-08, 10:43 AM
Got close a couple of times on the 245, but there was always something. One Buddy was a shooter freak. He got a 248 one time. That was the highest I have seen.

He went on to becoming a sniper for 1/6.

Artemis
05-29-08, 10:57 AM
Well I know that when I went to Boot in 2002 that if you UNQD when your series was on the range you got a second chance the week after the range. Everyone that qualified was on team week and those that went UNQ stayed at the range. However by then the highest you could get was marksman no matter how well you shot. If you didn't make it after that you were dropped to the next available platoon and tried again.

crate78
05-29-08, 12:56 PM
A few days ago on a non-military forum I participate in, a fellow was bragging that he went out last weekend and shot a tight group at 25 yards with a rifle.

I told him, "Hell, I do that with a cap and ball .44 sixshooter. Try 500 yards with a rifle on a Marine Corps rifle range with open sights". Somebody else told him that's like standing on top of the target.

Believe it or not, the user name he goes by is "Gun Guru".

crate

CplKJSpevak
05-29-08, 02:08 PM
Devil Dog's I bowled a 279 once!

thewookie
05-31-08, 11:07 AM
Realistically, a perfect score is practically impossible; there are so many variables that come into play, and the proof is in pudding of how many Marines has done it. Many, Marines have tried, repeatedly.

But, this shouldn’t stop you from setting a perfect score as your goal. My point is; if you drop a point or two (which might happen) don’t lose your bearing. I have seen a few Marines remain perfect going back to the 500-yard line. But they drop the first shot at the 500, and then they go in the can from there. It happens, and it’s always the Marine who’s going for the top score. I saw a Marine once go perfect back to the 500-yard line, and then he missed 9 out of the next ten shots.

Sure as shiat.

It’s also one thing to shoot good on Qual day, and to be able to focus on that aspect, but like Bulkyker said before me, if you do it; at the 500 you’ll start to get a few people behind you.

And on Qual day, the 500 has ruined many a Marine if the weather is a factor and they can't compensate.

It’s not as easy as one might think.

But it's good to have confidence during snap-in week :)

<O:pJust do not think about the score; it sounds so simple.....

Finger
05-31-08, 01:28 PM
I never made it out of the mid 240s. I wish you luck and good weather. Wind is always the factor.

S/F
Finger

SGT7477
05-31-08, 04:12 PM
Anybody know the scores of our brother sniper Carlos Hathcock?

Finger
05-31-08, 04:41 PM
Gunny was on the Marine Corps Service Rifle Team and he shot the Wimbelton 1000 yd match at Perry.

I'm sure he was a regular mid to hight 240 shooter.

I swear he could see wind.

S/F
Finger

SGT7477
05-31-08, 04:52 PM
For sure we know he was one of the best.

Achped
06-01-08, 08:04 PM
Well Im going to the range in about an hour, and I will let you all know how I did next Friday.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Achped
06-06-08, 09:46 PM
Well Devil Dogs, I shot a 237/250. Obviously not a bad score, but still...not 250.

With the new table 2 shooting, out of 100 points, I only got 93 (I swear, those moving target guys ripped me off!!!)

So a 330/350, expert is 305/350.

Again, not perfect, but I can't exactly complain.

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
06-06-08, 09:57 PM
I Remember In Boot On Preqal. I Shot A 248 And My Senior Was Jumping All Over The Place Saying There Won't Be Anymore Black When I'm Done. Lets Just Say It Wasn't A Fun Night In The Bay. I Was On The Deck For I Know About 2 Hours That Night Because I Beat All The Di's But The Next Day I Barely Shot A Expert I Made It By One Point

yellowwing
06-06-08, 10:24 PM
Well Devil Dogs, I shot a 237/250. Obviously not a bad score, but still...not 250.

With the new table 2 shooting, out of 100 points, I only got 93 (I swear, those moving target guys ripped me off!!!)

So a 330/350, expert is 305/350.

Again, not perfect, but I can't exactly complain.

At 330/350 I wouldn't think too many Taliban would be around to complain either! :banana:

FistFu68
06-06-08, 11:24 PM
:evilgrin: KILLING HUMAN BEINGS AT CLOSE RANGE,WHO SHOT BACK IS THE REAL TEST;OF HOW GOOD YOU ARE AS A SHOOTER :evilgrin::iwo:

ExPISCDI83
06-07-08, 12:40 AM
I always shot better on prequal day than on qual day, but usually shot Expert anyway. I think they should give you the best of the 2 days. I NEVER saw any difference in how the range was run on either day except for range verifiers (or whatever they are called these days.) I am waiting for someone to devise a less labor intensive way to pull butts. But then, the USMC is about the only organization that still qualify the way we have always done it. There is something to be said for 19th century technology in the 21st century.