05-28-08, 08:13 PM
IN THE MILITARY
Secret plans under way to tear down Christian symbols
Army says chapel crosses violate policy

Posted: May 27, 2008
9:06 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Crosses at Peacekeeper's Chapel scheduled for removal.

U.S. soldiers stationed at Camp Bondsteel in Kosovo may be stunned to find three wooden crosses stripped from the exterior grounds of their chapel in coming weeks – and many never saw it coming.

Several high-ranking officers have met behind closed doors to discuss plans for the crosses. They have decided to remove, and perhaps destroy, the Christian symbols located outside Peacekeeper's Chapel in the name of free exercise of religion.

Lt. Col. William Jenkins, 35th Infantry Division's Kosovo Force 9 command chaplain, told WND, "The removal of the crosses … is bringing the chapel into line with long-standing regulations and policies that apply to every U.S. Army chapel around the world and that are supported by all faith groups in the U.S. Army."

Jenkins cited the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as validation for the cross removal, saying it guarantees every American the right to the free exercise of religion. He also referenced an Army directive that bans religious symbols from chapels:

Distinctive religious symbols, such as crosses, crucifixes, the Star of David, menorah, and other religious symbols, will not be affixed or displayed permanently on the chapel exterior or grounds. (Army Reg. 165-1, 13-3.d)
Army chapels are also required to be devoid of religious symbols on furnishings, such as altars, pulpits and lecterns.

"This is not a new regulation and exists to protect the free exercise of religion of all soldiers," Jenkins said. "Army chapels are for all soldiers of all faith groups."

Following a secret vote, several officers decided to take down the crosses as part of a "relandscaping" project. Only one person present at the meeting voted against the measure.

Soldiers say high-ranking officers have been secretive about plans for the crosses and have not made an official announcement to troops – leaving most in the dark about plans until the crosses have been removed.

Chaplain Corps. crest states, "Pro deo et patria" or "For God and country."

The crosses will be replaced with a stone monument engraved with the name of the chapel and the crest of U.S. Army Chaplain Corps, Jenkins said. At the time of this report, there were no indications of plans to notify soldiers of the decision.

Although the camp itself was named after Sgt. James Bondsteel, a soldier who earned the Medal of Honor in Vietnam, high-ranking Army personnel have also decided to remove a memorial plaque dedicated to fallen Chaplain Gordon Oglesby, who served and died in Kosovo, because it violates a policy against naming a chapel after a soldier.

One person stationed in Kosovo became concerned about freedom of religious expression in the military after WND reported the Army deliberately shut down a chaplain's Baptist service at Forward Operating Base Loyalty in Iraq. The soldier expressed agitation at a perceived double standard after an American sniper accused of shooting a Quran for target practice faced disciplinary action and removal from Iraq for desecrating the religious property.

"It is very discouraging as a Christian soldier to see our Army punish him for destroying a Quran, but then it pays a private company to destroy some crosses," the soldier said. "I feel it is a slap in the face to me, my Lord and my freedom."

E5NAMKROW
05-28-08, 08:24 PM
Maybe They Will Replace Them With Foot Washing Stations

jrhd97
05-28-08, 08:46 PM
That would be something to see. Foot washing does have significance in christianity.

E5NAMKROW
05-28-08, 08:49 PM
Not to the uneducated though.

jetdoc
05-29-08, 09:09 AM
Keeping the cross is cool I think, however as we are a country based on religious freedom and I am of the Daoist belief I should be able to freely display my "religious" symbols.

There should not be a state run or controlled religion, according to our Constitution.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/sglossaryhotei.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/jetdoc/yinyang.jpg

MarineNCO
05-29-08, 09:14 AM
So basically they are saying practice what you want but we don't want to see any kind of religious icons/symbols/displays? Politically correct bull**** in my opinion. So how in the heck am I supposed to know where the chapel is if I don't see a cross on the steeple? I am supposed to start reading signs? makes for real good safety while driving if I have to read every sign in front of a building.

Jetdoc:
Yet the "state" is requiring these religions remove any visual indication that they are a religion or are affiliated with a religion.

Jim Oliver
05-29-08, 10:59 AM
What a crock!

Is the Army really going to do this or is it rumor?

What's with people?

I'm Jewish but take some of my patients to church every Sunday.

I'm not offended by symbols of another's religion. There are more important things to worry about.

Don't you guys get tired of all of the "victims" in our country?

And, MarineNCO, the way things are going the word "church" won't be allowed. It sounds too Christian like.

Maybe we should start executing people who call themselves Christian. That way the whiners will smile for a change.

I really think that this lashout against Christian symbols is an underhanded attack on our way of life.

Just how far are supposed to bend?

jetdoc
05-29-08, 05:12 PM
So basically they are saying practice what you want but we don't want to see any kind of religious icons/symbols/displays? Politically correct bull**** in my opinion. So how in the heck am I supposed to know where the chapel is if I don't see a cross on the steeple? I am supposed to start reading signs? makes for real good safety while driving if I have to read every sign in front of a building.

Jetdoc:
Yet the "state" is requiring these religions remove any visual indication that they are a religion or are affiliated with a religion.

Yea I saw that, are they doing it because if they let Christians put up a cross then they'd have to let Muslims put up whatever they have or other religions to do the same? I dunno.

usmchauer
05-29-08, 05:20 PM
What's next? Taking the cross off the Chaplain's collar and replacing it with a smiley face?

E5NAMKROW
05-29-08, 05:38 PM
What's next? Taking the cross off the Chaplain's collar and replacing it with a smiley face?

Well, what is next is they will take of your religion on your dog tags. Mine says Baptist and if they have their way they will attack that too.:mad:

sparkie
05-29-08, 05:47 PM
http://www.amandashome.com/ffieldwel2.jpg
Here,,, Plow that under.

E5NAMKROW
05-29-08, 05:57 PM
Or maybe the next thing they attack is our Hymn. Probably want to take the word "heaven" out of it.

jrhd97
05-29-08, 08:55 PM
If they get away with one, they will take away all. Look at the advances the ACLU has made in advancing there atheist views.

The seperation of church and state was soley to prohibit the feds from establishing a religion. Not from supporting or recognizing one. Esspecialy one that played such an important role in our founding.
It also prohibits banning practicing of a religion. No reason to not allow the others to set up tents, buildings of worship with there signs or symbols.

Not long ago the Coast Guard banned praying to or refrencing God. Don't know if that policy still stands.

SgtHopperUSMC
05-30-08, 04:31 AM
What a crock!

Is the Army really going to do this or is it rumor?

What's with people?

I'm Jewish but take some of my patients to church every Sunday.

I'm not offended by symbols of another's religion. There are more important things to worry about.

Don't you guys get tired of all of the "victims" in our country?

And, MarineNCO, the way things are going the word "church" won't be allowed. It sounds too Christian like.

Maybe we should start executing people who call themselves Christian. That way the whiners will smile for a change.

I really think that this lashout against Christian symbols is an underhanded attack on our way of life.

Just how far are supposed to bend?It's just going the way it was written it would. This is nothing. Besides I don't need a building to pray in.:) p.s. it's the same here in the federal prison system. You wouldn't believe the religions that are allowed. No problem with their beliefs ,but some are "treated" a bit different than others. There seems to be more support for the Muslim faith in prisons now.

NamNuts
05-30-08, 08:16 AM
Frak The Army....one of their turd Generals even interupted a perfectly well oiled and dissaplined BLT in Afganistan....cuz Marines are to aggresive...FRAK the Army officer corps, bunch a liberal panty waste MOFOS

Gary Hall
05-30-08, 09:05 AM
I can't believe it; I must be living a nightmare, in my dotage. If this is where "Education" leads, then I would have preferred to remain a high school dropout all my life. Hey, I am a high school dropout, (I've got something to be thankful for), all that other crap is just that, crap. I wasted a lot of my beautiful former wife's time & money. What I am thankful for is that once I carried an M-1 as an 0311 for five (5) years. To Hell with "Education", as practiced since the time of PRESIDENT HARRY S (there is no period) TRUMAN, who had the balls to promulgate the US was a Christian Nation & SUPPORTED ISRAEL, the first Head of State to recognize the new State of Israel. Kindest regards and I say fornicate this US Army Policy & the feces bird that promulgated the idea. Gary Hall, US Hog Farmer.

Gary Hall
05-30-08, 09:14 AM
http://www.amandashome.com/ffieldwel2.jpg
Here,,, Plow that under.

Much appreciated Post, Sparkie. Seriously, would you maybe start up a "101 Class for Improved Posting?" Can you tell me how to post multiple Smilies, I can't do it and sure as Hell can't send an attachment from an another source, such as you have just done. Sarge, I hope you wont let me down. SF, Gary Hall.

Jim Oliver
05-30-08, 11:04 AM
Hey Gary,

Ditto