PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Warrior AT Problem

XBoxMarine
05-28-08, 05:49 PM
I'll try to make a long story short and easy on the eyes. I bolded my actual question so no one really has to read this entire post to see where I'm going with it.

I'm 22 years old, married, have a son, and another son is on the way. Besides my reserve duty I've been supporting my family with a number of poor paying jobs with no decent benefits. I decided to look into law enforcement and just got accepted into the best criminal justice academy in my region; I have been told by many friends of family who are in law enforcement that I will be a shoe in.

So I'm looking at complete financial security with a starting pay that doubles what my wife and I make together in a year. She'll be able to leave her job, go to college herself and spend more time with the kids. I'll finally have a job that I enjoy and keeps me in good shape.

My guarantees for success laid out before me, and finally having a career after 5 years of being on my own... but there's a down side...

Because of budget constraints, funding was cut to the trainee program, in other words I have to pay for the academy myself and I will not be paid to attend it... This is no problem as I have a few thousand dollars in savings that I had set aside for emergencies. I have paid rent for the next six months that I'm in the academy, I set some aside for the actual post-academy hiring process, and budgeted the rest for my wife and I to live off of. Things will be tight, but it will be OK in the end.

My problem is, I have my AT coming up; I talked to my Plt Sgt and training NCO about the issue, they got me out of going across the US and managed to land me an at-home AT; however, even "at-home" this takes me away from the academy long enough to drop me to the next class. My academy will end right at the end of this fiscal year, so there's no way I can delay the AT until afterwards. As a reservist I don't think any temporary leaves will apply to me, though I'm not sure. All of that said... you can see what's at stake. Does anyone have an idea what I should do?

Phantom Winger
05-28-08, 06:19 PM
... I decided to look into law enforcement and just got accepted into the best criminal justice academy in my region; I have been told by many friends of family who are in law enforcement that I will be a shoe in.

Because of budget constraints, funding was cut to the trainee program, in other words I have to pay for the academy myself and I will not be paid to attend it...

Something doesn't sound right here... You've been accepted to an academy but you don't have a job? I could be wrong (it's happened before) but most law enforcement jobs pay you to attend the academy.

One question ... what happens when you shell out several thousand bucks and don't have a job afterwards because of "budget cuts" or "reduction in force"? Think this through. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

As far as your reserve AT you've already committed yourself to that obligation and your unit has already made the effort to accomodate you. Best of luck - not an easy circumstance.

XBoxMarine
05-28-08, 06:38 PM
Something doesn't sound right here... You've been accepted to an academy but you don't have a job? I could be wrong (it's happened before) but most law enforcement jobs pay you to attend the academy.

They do pay trainees; they are not hiring trainees now, only those who have already been through the academy. By "not having a job" I mean I left my current job in order to attend the academy as I could not conform to the required availability of both.

One question ... what happens when you shell out several thousand bucks and don't have a job afterwards because of "budget cuts" or "reduction in force"? Think this through. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

The money shelled out is paying for rent and cost of living while I attend the academy; also for the tuition of the academy itself. The academy does not guarantee job placement; however, the top 80% are usually picked up by various agencies as the instructors act as recruiters for their individual departments.

Essentially I'm taking a leap of faith with my savings.

Quinbo
05-28-08, 06:58 PM
Why can't you request to be recalled to active duty for special work (ADSW) ? You could put on the request that you want to train in law enforcement for the purpose of homeland security. If it flys you would get a fully funded active duty blah blah pay for your time in the acadamy. Best of luck to you.

Phantom Winger
05-28-08, 08:50 PM
Essentially I'm taking a leap of faith with my savings.

Gotcha - well, sounds like you have your eyes wide open then.