PDA

View Full Version : Marine briefs Brady on Iraq War progress

thedrifter
05-28-08, 11:11 AM
05/27/2008
Marine briefs Brady on Iraq War progress
By Kassia Micek
Courier staff

A 21-year-old Marine who recently returned from his second deployment in Iraq is providing U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady, R-The Woodlands, with a first-hand view of the war in Iraq.

U.S. Marine Cpl. Adrian Thompson gave Brady a briefing Tuesday morning and said progress is being made, but better equipment is needed for the military.

“My first deployment was a lot different,” Thompson said about the progress that has been made. “In just a year we went from one to two firefights a day ... now, those same areas we went to before are a lot safer.”

Thompson, the son of Woodlands resident Sean K. Thompson, said there would be “eminent and extreme danger” to the Iraqi people if U.S. troops withdrew anytime soon..

“If we left Fallujah, I guarantee within 24 hours all the Iraqi police would be hit and they’d lose the city,” said Thompson, squad leader of 13 troops with the 3rd Battalion, 5 Marine Regiment, Kilo Company. “We took it from the bad guys and want to give it back to the good guys.”

Although Brady’s younger brother, Sgt. Maj. Matthew Brady, provides him first-hand accounts from his deployments, the congressman said he wanted to hear what another troop had to say.

“It’s critical to hear it first hand,” Brady said. “I’ll take this and try to get Congress to fund our military.”

Right now, Congress has not acted on a military funding request, Brady told Thompson. By June 15, the payroll account for the Army and Marines will run out.

“We don’t do what we do for money, but we do have families who need to eat,” Thompson said.

Thompson is still using equipment from when he first enlisted, while other branches have more modern, lightweight equipment.

“We could use better equipment,” Thompson said. “I’m using the same rifle I’ve used for the last four years.”

Thompson said upgraded helmets that are lighter and stronger are also needed, along with lighter bulletproof vests. Currently, Thompson’s squad uses 80-90 pound vests, while other troops are wearing 40-50 pound vests, he said.

“The toll it takes on our bodies make us not as combat ready,” he said to Brady.

Thompson enlisted in the Marines his senior year at Anderson High School, in the Anderson-Shiro Consolidated Independent School District. He graduated in May 31, 2005, went to boot camp June 5, 2005, married his wife Rebecca in December 2005 and deployed in January 2006.

Seven months later, Thompson returned home until his second deployment in September 2007. His latest deployment ended a month ago.

Thompson reenlisted for another four years and returns to work June 15, he said.

While Thompson was watching changes occur in Iraq, things were changing back at home. During his last deployment his son, Christopher, was born.

“He was born the month I left,” said Thompson, who is stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif. with his family. “I came home to a 6-month-old. … I saw pictures every now and then, but there’s nothing like waking up to a little me.”

Ellie