PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

ricky30091
05-27-08, 03:17 PM
Hi guys,
As you know, I'm a poor, ill-informed Royal Marine.
Met this chap as he launched himself at my wife while she was putting clothes away into the closet/wardrobe.
A high-pitched, Scottish, not seldom heard, scream errupted scaring the poor blighter half to death; he couldn't move for ages although she did.
Anyway, 4-5 inches long.
Does he taste good, and, if so what are the cooking instructions?
Am I likely to find anymore?
Helped appreciated.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/ricky30091/bigbug003.jpg

Big Jim
05-27-08, 03:23 PM
Hi guys,
Met this chap as he launched himself at my wife while she was putting clothes away into the closet/wardrobe.
A high-pitched, Scottish, not seldom heard, scream errupted scaring the poor blighter half to death; he couldn't move for ages although she did.
Anyway, 4-5 inches long.
Helped appreciated.

HAHA...I'm sure your wife needed some calming down after that. It looks like a centipede...some of those things are poisonous so I wouldn't even think about eating him!! Where there was one you can bet there's likely to be more too. So, check those closet shelves my friend...at least before the wife does!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

pablox1139
05-27-08, 03:27 PM
Fry it and put some tobasco on it...that will make anything taste good!

ricky30091
05-27-08, 03:49 PM
Wash it down with? :)

Quinbo
05-27-08, 04:05 PM
Looks kinda like a earwig to me. We as kids used to mash their heads with our thumbs as there pinchers try futilly to pinch on the thumb nail.

Wash it down with tequilla and pretend it is the worm at the bottem of the bottle.

Osotogary
05-27-08, 05:00 PM
As long as the creature didn't come out of anyone's underwear you are good to go.
Myself, I'd use a nice tempura batter, batter it up, deep fry it, get some quality saki or plum wine and have one heck of a meal ...'cause you know, there has got to be a whole colony just waiting to go for a stroll.

ricky30091
05-28-08, 01:34 PM
Hi Guys,
Well you weren't very convincing. I've now discovered it to be the lava of the Dobson fly, known as a Hellgrammite.
Bet you're glad you now know that.
I've started breeding them; found another last evening.
The fly are, apparently, a fisherman's dream.

pablox1139
05-28-08, 01:37 PM
Wash it down with beer.......

MarineNCO
05-28-08, 01:44 PM
Hi Guys,
Well you weren't very convincing. I've now discovered it to be the lava of the Dobson fly, known as a Hellgrammite.

They sure are. You can roast them slowly over an open flame. Once cooked halfway through you will want to split them up the center line and add a dash of salt. Continue cooking the beasty until it is well done. If it is not well done it has a slightly bitter taste. Serve over a bed of wild long grain rice with a side of steamed broccoli. Chill a bottle of a light chianti to wash it down.

If you feel real adventurous you can add in a few roasted pine nuts.

Jim Oliver
05-29-08, 11:08 AM
Come on guys, some things are only to be eaten when you're starving.

Ricky, if you still have that thing get rid of it it's probably stale anyway.

Semper Fi

Chumley
05-29-08, 02:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Put 'em on a hook and they keep moving underwater for hours.
When the bass aren't biting on anything else, those Dobson's will fill your creel. If you don't catch fish, follow MarineNCO's recipe. YUMMMMMMM

sparkie
05-29-08, 05:13 PM
"I've started breeding them".
None here ever told you to get that close and personal,,,,,,, Do they kiss nice? Are you a leg man? Use a condom or mosquito netting?
Am I getting carried away again? Someone stop me.

ggyoung
05-29-08, 05:57 PM
Cook them in tobacco juice then a lot of Tabasco.MMMM

Marine84
05-29-08, 06:59 PM
eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

And sparkie - you just wrong! LOL!

sparkie
05-29-08, 07:02 PM
84,,,,, That;s not the first time you said that.....

ricky30091
05-31-08, 05:30 PM
They certainly was a little dusty so sent the 2 of them packing.
One of them turned into said fly and got trampled on the doormat; well, I think it was.
Given up breeding; too difficult to find which sex was which; probably had a pair of lesbo's.
Ooops!
Bye y'all.

Phantom Blooper
05-31-08, 05:38 PM
I seen one in France once....coming out of a young womans skivies.....

Washed down with beer is best.....LOTS OF IT!:beer:

sgt.r.n.davis
05-31-08, 10:25 PM
:thumbup: LOOKS TO ME AS IF ITS A MAYFLY THEY COME OUT THE RIVERS BACK HERE IN PA. AND THEN DRY OUT AND FLY AWAY..THEY MATE AND THEN DIE IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS:usmc:
Hi guys,
Anyway, 4-5 inches long.
Helped appreciated.