PDA

View Full Version : As gas goes up, driving goes down

jetdawgg
05-27-08, 09:27 AM
(CNN) -- At a time when gas prices are at an all-time high, Americans have curtailed their driving at a historic rate.
<!--startclickprintexclude--><!----><!--===========IMAGE============-->http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/US/05/26/gas.driving/art.gas.pump.gi.jpg<!--===========/IMAGE===========-->

<!--===========CAPTION==========-->Americans are not driving as much as they did a year ago as gas prices skyrocket.<!--===========/CAPTION=========-->

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

<!--endclickprintexclude-->The Department of Transportation said figures from March show the steepest decrease in driving ever recorded.

Compared with March a year earlier, Americans drove an estimated 4.3 percent less -- that's 11 billion fewer miles, the DOT's Federal Highway Administration said Monday, calling it "the sharpest yearly drop for any month in FHWA history." Records have been kept since 1942.

According to AAA, for the first time since 2002, Americans said they were planning to drive less over the Memorial Day weekend than they did the year before.

Tracy and Adam Crews posted on iReport that their annual Memorial Day weekend has traditionally involved camping and fishing.

"Well, due to the continual rise in gas, we felt our only recourse was to nix the idea this year and stay home" in Jacksonville, Florida, they wrote.

Instead, the couple said they "decided to camp out in the backyard. We set the tent up, just finished installing our above ground pool, and cleaned up the grill. ... We have ourselves a campsite! It's been a blast!"

Nakeisha Easterwood of Smyrna, Georgia, said with gas prices on the rise, she sometimes catches rides with friends, and doesn't drive into town more than once a day. "It's crazy," she said.

According to AAA, the national average price for a gallon of regular gas (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/gas_prices) rose to a record $3.936. That compares with an average price per gallon of $3.23 last Memorial Day.

"With it being near $4 a gallon, you definitely have to drive slower and pick and choose when you're going to do it," said Steve Kahn of Roswell, Georgia, at a Memorial Day festival in Atlanta.

Some Americans have turned to public transportation. Ridership increased by 2.1 percent in 2007, in part because of rising gas prices, according to the American Public Transportation Association.

Americans took 10.3 billion trips on public transportation in 2007, the highest level in 50 years, the group said.

The Energy Information Administration says gas consumption for the first three months of 2008 is estimated to be down about 0.6 percent from the same time period in 2007.

For the summer season, gas consumption is expected to be down 0.4 percent from last year

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/26/gas.driving/index.html
<!--startclickprintexclude--><!--startclickprintexclude-->

jrhd97
05-27-08, 09:32 AM
Not suprised. I worked yesterday. While burning up that high dollar deisel from the yard to Winston Salem and down through Charlotte, the amount of traffic I saw out sure didn't look like a slow down in travelers. Even Norman Lake was full of boots.

Finger
05-27-08, 10:00 AM
I did see a clip on hydrogen fueled cars on the news yesterday, and it's clean and renewable. The scientists at the Savannah River Project came up with the idea. You know, the H bomb experts. They even have working models. Could be the future.

<O:pS/F

<O:pFinger<O:p

E5NAMKROW
05-27-08, 12:16 PM
I Bought An Old Fashioned Push Mower, The One With The Rotary Blades. Screw Opec. Every Little Bit Helps

jetdawgg
05-27-08, 01:37 PM
I Bought An Old Fashioned Push Mower, The One With The Rotary Blades. Screw Opec. Every Little Bit Helps

:D

jrhd97
05-27-08, 04:16 PM
I saw those at Lowes. Thought about getting one for my son to use. He pushes, I ride :bunny:

E5NAMKROW
05-27-08, 05:30 PM
Mine Isnt Fancy, It Is About 45 Years Old. Then I Found Out That They Made Newer Ones With Light Weight Material. Of Course Mine May Be Around After These New Ones. Scot Has Some Nice Ones.

Kegler300
05-28-08, 05:06 AM
It won't be long before the government will find a way to make up for the lost gas tax revenue...

jetdawgg
05-28-08, 07:21 AM
It won't be long before the government will find a way to make up for the lost gas tax revenue...

Top is conceding the election to the democrats already:usmc: :D

MarineNCO
05-28-08, 10:07 AM
Top is conceding the election to the democrats already:usmc: :D

:sick:

E5NAMKROW
05-28-08, 08:59 PM

:thumbup:

mcvet57103
05-29-08, 07:16 PM
I'm 51 years old. My gas has a universal impact.And it is natural. Forget Cows, and methane. After I eat some Great Northern beans, with Ketchup, with Bacon and Serano peppers, There is no equal. (My favorite week-end lunch, not my wife's LOL). Add in a good screwdriver, and I can drive off the neighbors. On a separate note, does anyone have any skivies, unused, for sale on e-bay? I seem to be running short.:banana: