PDA

View Full Version : Marine told to trade in dress blues for cap, gown

thedrifter
05-27-08, 08:35 AM
Marine told to trade in dress blues for cap, gown

08:26 AM CDT on Monday, May 26, 2008

Associated Press

WACO – A senior who joined the Marines and credits the service for getting her through high school won't be allowed to wear her uniform to graduation.

Rachael James said she still may try to negotiate with Gatesville High School officials but will get her diploma Friday no matter what, possibly wearing her uniform under her graduation gown.

"I'm not going to fight it," she said. "I really respect the school... I don't want to cause them problems."

The Gatesville school district requires seniors to wear black caps and gowns, except top-tier students, who wear white, superintendent Rick Copp said. The school also rejected an Eagle Scout's request to wear his uniform.

Principal Ed Husk, a 15-year military veteran, said the uniforms are "just not appropriate for a high school graduation."

Ms. James credits the Marine Corps with giving her a future. Earlier this school year, the 18-year-old was on the verge of dropping out of high school, just shy of graduating, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported.

She decided she wanted to graduate and took online college classes, continued in school and worked. After joining the Marines, she went to North Carolina for boot camp.

She received about $30,000 after qualifying for the Montgomery GI Bill and another $50,000 in scholarships.

"I feel like I've accomplished a lot in my life for only being 18," she said. "I want to walk across the stage in my dress blues."

The Associated Press

Ellie