PDA

View Full Version : The Institute of Heraldry to Modify Several Campaign and Service Medals

thedrifter
05-27-08, 08:15 AM
IMMEDIATE RELEASE No. 444-08
May 23, 2008

The Institute of Heraldry to Modify Several Campaign and Service Medals

The Department of Defense announced today that The Institute of Heraldry (TIOH) will remove the word “medal” from four campaign and service medals in order to align their designs with heraldic protocols.

The word “medal” will be removed from the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korea Defense Service Medal and Armed Forces Service Medal.

In addition, TIOH will resize eight campaign and service medals that were initially designed one-eighth of an inch larger in diameter than required by specification. The larger medals will be gradually replaced over the next several years as current stock levels are depleted. These medals will not be made obsolete and will remain authorized decorations. In addition, the applicable miniature medals will also be re-sized from eleven-sixteenths of an inch diameter to five-eighths of an inch.

The medals being resized are the: Kosovo Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korea Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Service Medal and the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.

Historically, campaign and service medal pendants are 1 1/4 inches in diameter; the only exceptions are the two victory medals commemorating the end of World War I and World War II; these medals were designed at 1 13/32 inches in diameter in order to enhance their heraldic stature given the magnitude of the two world wars.

Questions may be directed to Army Public Affairs at (703) 692-2000.

Ellie

echo3oscar1833
04-15-10, 10:32 PM
IMMEDIATE RELEASE No. 444-08
May 23, 2008

The Institute of Heraldry to Modify Several Campaign and Service Medals

The Department of Defense announced today that The Institute of Heraldry (TIOH) will remove the word “medal” from four campaign and service medals in order to align their designs with heraldic protocols.

The word “medal” will be removed from the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korea Defense Service Medal and Armed Forces Service Medal.

In addition, TIOH will resize eight campaign and service medals that were initially designed one-eighth of an inch larger in diameter than required by specification. The larger medals will be gradually replaced over the next several years as current stock levels are depleted. These medals will not be made obsolete and will remain authorized decorations. In addition, the applicable miniature medals will also be re-sized from eleven-sixteenths of an inch diameter to five-eighths of an inch.

The medals being resized are the: Kosovo Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korea Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Service Medal and the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.

Historically, campaign and service medal pendants are 1 1/4 inches in diameter; the only exceptions are the two victory medals commemorating the end of World War I and World War II; these medals were designed at 1 13/32 inches in diameter in order to enhance their heraldic stature given the magnitude of the two world wars.

Questions may be directed to Army Public Affairs at (703) 692-2000.

Ellie

Interesting, digging up this thread to see if anyone has ever heard anymore on this?

echo3oscar1833
04-16-10, 03:43 PM
Bump, I tried finding other sources, found nothing. I guess the main reason I'm curious, is because if they go through with this. Then that will make all the old versions rare, especially after several years. When you see all the new versions, are the only ones minted. I have one of the old ones, have yet to see any of the new ones mentioned in the article above. :marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-10, 11:41 PM
Not sure. Actually hadn't seen this bit. I haven't seen anything regarding this, either.

echo3oscar1833
04-17-10, 01:43 PM
Not sure. Actually hadn't seen this bit. I haven't seen anything regarding this, either.

Roger That! Let me know if you find out anything Lep. :marine:

Rocky C
04-17-10, 02:31 PM
Heres the Link........

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/

Tracylaud83
04-17-10, 04:10 PM
I have a few thoughts on this.
All I will say is
An Award is given.
a Medal is EARNED

I HAVE BOTH.....:usmc:

Rocky C
04-17-10, 04:17 PM
I have a few thoughts on this.
All I will say is
An Award is given.
a Medal is EARNED

I HAVE BOTH.....:usmc:

Me Too :thumbup::flag:.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Wyoming
04-17-10, 04:44 PM
The best medal is a live man's smile.

Rocky C
04-17-10, 04:46 PM
The best medal is a live man's smile.

I'm smiling Big Al :D At least for today anyway...........

Wyoming
04-17-10, 04:54 PM
Amen Rocky, and it is one day at a time.