PDA

View Full Version : Local Marines Say Goodbye

thedrifter
05-27-08, 05:42 AM
Local Marines Say Goodbye
By ANNIE DIMMICK

MOUNDSVILLE — As many Ohio Valley families spent Memorial Day greeting one another at get-togethers, reunions and other outings, the families of 18 marines of the Moundsville-based Company K, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment were saying goodbyes to their brave fathers, sons and loved ones.

As Old Glory waved proudly on the warm summer breeze above the Moundsville Reserve Center Monday, moms and dads, brothers, sisters and children hugged their soldiers before they boarded the bus that would take them to California for training, and then to Iraq.

“ I love you, daddy,” said one small boy, who waved to his Marine father through a stream of steady tears.

The boy was one of many whose eyes welled with tears as the soldiers left for headquarters at Brook Park, Ohio for further training. They will then conduct advanced infantry training at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif. for several months before a September deployment to Iraq in support of U.S. Central Command operations.

Sandy Peck, mother of Cpl. Justin Peck, was one of many mothers on hand to see their sons off. She said her son’s fellow Marines are a very close group and knowing how much they care for one another helps her cope with Justin’s deployment.

“They are a family and that makes you feel better,” Sandy Peck said. “ You know they are brothers.”

This deployment is the second for 26-year-old Peck.

Peck’s mother said while the anxieties are always present, she knows her son and his comrades have received the best training and that also makes her feel better.

“The first time, I was a nervous wreck,” she said. “ Now I feel confident that he can do the job. He is doing this for his country and I am very proud.”

Peck agreed, saying since he returned from his last deployment to Iraq, he has received more training.

“It’s definitely easier because we know what to expect,” said Peck. “I’ve been to more lead schools. This time, from what I hear, our communications are going to be a lot better.”

According to Captain Brian Pell of the Company K, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, mobilization readiness is the number one priority for Marine Forces Reserve, whose primary mission is to augment and reinforce the active component Marine Corps. Regular training and operations with the active forces over the years has made integrated use of the Reserves routine in the Total Force Marine Corps.

Pell addressed the Marines and their families before the bus was boarded

“There is nothing I can say that can make this easier,” he told family members. “But I can assure you they will have the best defense technology.”

To the Marines, he delivered a touching message before they said their farewells.

“It’s a very noble act that you are about to partake in,” he said. “I’m very proud of you.”

The Marines of Company K, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, will be assigned to the Garden City, N.Y.-based 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, during the deployment. The 25th Marines is one of three infantry regiments within the 4th Marine Division. Units are located throughout the northeast United States, covering all states from Delaware to Ohio to Maine.

Members of the West Virginia Patriot Guard stood at attention guarding the Stars and Stripes as the marines boarded the bus.

Guard members led the road trip from Moundsville to Brook Park.

“These are my brothers,” said Patriot Guard Assistant State Captain Ron Jones, a former Marine.

“We are proud to be here for these troops,” said Patriot Guard State Captain Joe Cumblidge. “It’s our honor, and we wish them a safe trip.”

Their tour in Iraq is expected to last seven to eight months.

Ellie