PDA

View Full Version : Reckless Driving in VA

rashkenes
05-26-08, 11:57 PM
Ok so for the memorial day weekend I decided to go up to my home in VA, as I'm currently stationed in Camp Lejuene's 8th Comm Bn. on friday as i was heading up, i was stupid and instead of being careful, i decided to follow the speed everyone else was going (which is no excuse on my part i was an idiot) and got pulled over on I-95 for reckless driving 85mph in a 65mph area.

I immediatly reported it to my chain of command but am scared to death of whats going to happen. I've had a clean record driving and Marine corps wise. I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if they could give me some advice and what im looking at here. already i know the chances of an NJP are quite high and that I'm looking at losing my rank, but is there anything i can do and also on the civ front what can the state of VA do to me.

Logically speaking I can't have been the only marine to do this and it wasn't a DUI so i'm sure i'll be able to find some advice here. Thanks for any given.

Lcpl Ashkenes

Big Jim
05-27-08, 12:18 AM
Ok so for the memorial day weekend I decided to go up to my home in VA, as I'm currently stationed in Camp Lejuene's 8th Comm Bn. on friday as i was heading up, i was stupid and instead of being careful, i decided to follow the speed everyone else was going (which is no excuse on my part i was an idiot) and got pulled over on I-95 for reckless driving 85mph in a 65mph area.

I immediatly reported it to my chain of command but am scared to death of whats going to happen. I've had a clean record driving and Marine corps wise. I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if they could give me some advice and what im looking at here. already i know the chances of an NJP are quite high and that I'm looking at losing my rank, but is there anything i can do and also on the civ front what can the state of VA do to me.

Logically speaking I can't have been the only marine to do this and it wasn't a DUI so i'm sure i'll be able to find some advice here. Thanks for any given.

Lcpl Ashkenes

On the civilian side of things...you'll pay a heavy fine and lose some points on your license...that about it. I hope anyway...you were going 20 miles anhour over the speed limit. They should waive any jail time I would think...is this your first ticket? It's good that you informed your command..it shows them you're not trying to hide anything. Virginia is known for their speed traps...I only go through there when I absolutely have to. But I think the military might be waiting on if you to get anything more from the civilian side of things, If you take care of the ticket and pay the money and lose your points...why should the Marine Corps do anything? As long as it doesn't interfere with your duties...I wouldn't worry too much about the Marine Corps' opinion on you getting a speeding ticket. Just take care of it and quick!! If you can take care of it online and pay the fine that way...that'd be good too. Then you can go back to your command and tell them the ticket is history and there's no problems what so ever...it just went away. You can also have their number and ticket receipt number for proof of payment. Just keep your command informed though...don't try and hide anything.

rashkenes
05-27-08, 12:31 AM
well i think it also has to do with the commandants new order on driving. we've lost to many people to DUI's and Motor Cycle accidents so now because of all the paperwork I filled out saying i wouldnt speed i think it can be considered willful neglegence of an order.

Big Jim
05-27-08, 12:45 AM
well i think it also has to do with the commandants new order on driving. we've lost to many people to DUI's and Motor Cycle accidents so now because of all the paperwork I filled out saying i wouldnt speed i think it can be considered willful neglegence of an order.

Well...you have the answer to your own question then...good! If thats the case...get a basket big enough to fit your head in... and take it with you when you go and talk to your Commanding Officer so when he chops your head off...you have something to carry it out in...!!! The answer I gave you used to be the answer to your question. Like many here, I'm no longer active duty or active reserve and do not have access to newer Marine Corps orders or orders from the Commandant, if you knew the answer to your question...why'd you post it? Call your command and ask them whats going to happen...

MarineNCO
05-27-08, 06:37 AM
Like Big Jim said take care of the ticket ASAP. With the Commandant's crackdown on driving it is hard to say. My Bn CO has said that he will not NJP someone for an incident off base if that person is already getting hammered in town. But that is MY Bn CO. It has been said a number of times by the Base Commander here that if you get caught doing double digits over the speed limit you may as well stand by for NJP at some level. Hopefully your NCOs are taking care of you and your incident did not hit the blotter. If they are taking care of you like they should be then they will talk to your SNCOIC and tell him/her they will take care of you and make you "pay" and let it end there. But every chain of command is different.

If it was me you would not only pay the fine but would be writing reports on different leadership traits and what a dumba$$ thing it was that you did for the next month. Along with as many extra duties as I could pile on. This to drive home the lesson learned as well as to show others that you aren't getting off scott free.

ese4mc
05-27-08, 06:44 AM
If you were fol;lowing the traffic flow,what was done to the speeders who were leading the parade :sick:

Phantom Winger
05-27-08, 07:57 AM
Unless I'm mistaken the reckless charge is a mandatory court appearance (it was for me). Go to court and explain to the judge the circumstances just like you did here - especially, the part that...

jrhd97
05-27-08, 09:03 AM
If you were fol;lowing the traffic flow,what was done to the speeders who were leading the parade :sick:

This is VA, just like OH. They will pull who ever out of the pack, doesn't matter to them.

Lawyer up. The ticket tells what county you were in, that is also the county yo uwill have to pay the fine or appear in. Go online and find some traffic lawyers there. A voice of experience with VA moving violations. Don't try to appear, or pay with out a lawyers advice. Many times they can get these things reduced with out going to court.

MarineNCO
05-27-08, 09:03 AM
Something else to consider. Try contacting the ADA in the county you got your ticket in. Alot of times they have lots of latitude when it comes to out of state traffic fines/citations. They may be...

fergy1370
05-27-08, 12:33 PM
Its depending on where you were charged with reckless driving as if you need to appear in court. Under your signature, you'll see if you are required to show in court. <br />
<br />
I really don't think you...

crate78
05-27-08, 12:50 PM
I hope it wasn't in Colonial Heights jurisdiction.

As far as being pulled out of the pack, I heard once of a fellow who tried to argue with a trooper that he was just running with the traffic.

The trooper asked, "Do you fish?"

The fellow replied, "Yes, but what's that got to do with it?"

The trooper then inquired, "The last time you were fishing, how many fish were in the lake?"

The fellow said, "I don't know. Hundreds, maybe thousands."

The trooper asked, "Did you catch them all?"

That's kind of stuck with me since I heard it. I usually set my cruise 4 mph over the limit and let everyone else do what they want.

thewookie
05-27-08, 01:54 PM
I hope it wasn't in Colonial Heights jurisdiction.

As far as being pulled out of the pack, I heard once of a fellow who tried to argue with a trooper that he was just running with the traffic.

The trooper asked, "Do you fish?"

The fellow replied, "Yes, but what's that got to do with it?"

The trooper then inquired, "The last time you were fishing, how many fish were in the lake?"

The fellow said, "I don't know. Hundreds, maybe thousands."

The trooper asked, "Did you catch them all?"

That's kind of stuck with me since I heard it. I usually set my cruise 4 mph over the limit and let everyone else do what they want.

That is a classic,,, it must have been an Officer down South?

And just to add my two cents,,,, I'd also recommend contacting the ADA before the court date. Don't BS them just lay it on the line and see what they can do for you.

....One Sunday afternoon I was pulled over in VA by an local Detective in a unmarked, and badly beaten car. I was flying down a back road in a rented Geo Metro going at least 75mph, at least, the car was starting to shimmy! Any way, I refused to pull over at first because the car he was driving was so badly beaten up that I figured he couldn't be a cop. This was back in my anti-terrorism instructor days and we used to teach that you never can be too safe, drive different routes to and from work and all sorts of stuff like that, so that was my general mindset at the time.

Any way, flying down a windy back road heading to base (MCSFTC) and I made a decision that I wasn't going to stop until I arrived at the gate guard. Before I could reach base, I was eventually stopped by a marked unit who proceeded to put me on the blacktop with a little motivation from his pistol. I had my Kimber with me, in a fanny pack on the passenger seat, and when I told him about that he went ballistic. I had a VA conceal carry permit, actually I still do, but he still didn't take lightly the fact that I had a pistol so close to me while I was driving, or something like that I guess. He would have been really p*ssed if I told him that I actually had it between my legs when I first noticed this lunatic detective chasing me, I only put it back in the fag bag once he pulled me over and I started to comply with the instructions he was giving me.

Long story short....I told him who I was, [Sgt. V...a.k.a. The Wookie] :) and what I did, and in the process I also dropped a few names of the Officers in the area that I knew, and he eventually cooled down and let me get up. The undercover guy happened to know one of the guys I mentioned and he convinced the Patrolman to let me off with only a simple speeding ticket. After the uniformed officer left, the undercover guy told me to call the ADA the next day and he would make sure it was squashed.

I was scared sh*tless there for a moment, I won't lie. Never know what them boys down south will do to you.......

You might mess up and be alligator food....

David Jameson
05-27-08, 02:25 PM
Your expectig a NJP and a bust for a traffic ticket?

rashkenes
05-27-08, 09:15 PM
whats the ADA? I'm not sure i've heard that anagram before.

thewookie
05-27-08, 09:45 PM
Assistant District Attorney, they do the dirty work and handle the details before it goes to the DA.

darkgreen0311
05-27-08, 10:10 PM
You're going to have to schedule a court day since reckless driving is a misdemeanor and arrestable offense. If you got o court w/o a lawyer see if the prosecutor will lower the charge to an impeding...

crate78
05-27-08, 10:27 PM
Happened to think, does your unit have a legal officer? There should be one somewhere in the chain of command. We had them on a squadron level. <br />
<br />
That would be a good place to start. Without...