PDA

View Full Version : War Stories: Lance Corporal Scotty Bailey

thedrifter
05-26-08, 08:37 AM
War Stories: Lance Corporal Scotty Bailey
by Mike Warner - May. 22, 2008 03:25 PM
12 News

Richard Scott Bailey, known as “Scotty” to family and friends, grew up loving anything having to do with the military. So when the 18-year-old enlisted in the Marines, his family was not surprised. “I think he thought that we were going to say no,” said his mom, Kimberly Langley. “But when he came home and we supported him, he was very excited.” And within two weeks after getting his high school diploma, Scotty was on his way to Marine boot camp.

Kimberly says her son had a hard time at first… he was homesick, and the harsh reality of being a Marine was difficult. But Scotty quickly started to feel like he fit in. He became a squad leader, and earned his fellow Marine’s respect during one particularly grueling five mile hike. “He had to push somebody up the hill,” recalls his mom. “So his five mile hike really turned into probably a twenty mile hike trying to get all his guys to try to get up and down the hill.” Later, during his boot camp graduation, those Marines he helped, credited
Scotty with helping them make it through boot camp.

After graduation, Scotty was assigned to 29 Palms in California, where he began training as an infantry radio operator. His company was getting ready for their first deployment to Iraq in August. In late April, Scotty drove home to visit his family in Phoenix. He loved spending time with his girlfriend, his brother, and especially his 5 year old sister, Shaye. After a weekend of relaxation, he was back off to the base with a couple of Marine buddies. “He got in the car, he waved goodbye, and we gave him hugs and took a picture of him,” remembers Kimberly. That was the last time she would see her son.

Police say Scotty’s car veered off highway 62 near 29 Palms just before 11 o’ clock at night on April 21. The vehicle rolled, ejecting Scotty. The two other Marines in Scotty’s car had severe injuries, and Scotty was pronounced dead at the scene. “When they said that two were taken to the hospital, and that one didn’t make it, I just… I just knew,” says Kimberly.

Within days of Scotty’s death, Kimberly found herself at the “Packages From Home” headquarters, putting together care packages to send to troops overseas, and for families of fallen soldiers. “Because I know that Scotty’s helped so many people,” says Kimberly, “that if I can help a person and know that I have impacted somebody through Scotty, that is what I want to do.” Kimberly had sent packages to Scotty before, and knew how much the care packages were needed.

Scotty’s dream was to fight for his country, and Kimberly knows her son would have made a difference in Iraq. “He would have done a great job, but he’s a hero in everyone’s eyes even though he didn’t get to go over.” Although she will spend Memorial Day at her son’s grave, Kimberly plans to continue fighting in Scotty’s spirit. “If I can impact a quarter of the people that he impacted, I couldn’t even tell you, that would be amazing… amazing.”

Kimberly says "Packages From Home" desperately needs volunteers, as well as monetary donations to help supply items and postage for the care packages. She is also heading up a new group called "Mom's Brigade". That group hopes to offer comfort and support to families who have suffered a loss, and also to those who have a loved one fighting for our country.

Ellie